PDA

View Full Version : ebay scam?

ajjohnsonsoxfan
11-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Anyone know of an ebay scam going around where a buyer asks you to pay for the item at some future date (like two to four weeks out)? I had two separate people ask on two different items within days of each other. Trying to figure out if there's some sort of play here for a scam.

BruceinGa
11-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Do you mean the buyer or seller asks for payment at a later date? :confused:

ajjohnsonsoxfan
11-11-2016, 04:33 PM
buyer

bnorth
11-11-2016, 04:52 PM
When was the item to be shipped, now or in several weeks when they pay?

irv
11-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Anyone know of an ebay scam going around where a buyer asks you to pay for the item at some future date (like two to four weeks out)? I had two separate people ask on two different items within days of each other. Trying to figure out if there's some sort of play here for a scam.

Sounds like a similar/same scam I hear about on Kijiji or Craigslist.

If you hear Western Union, stay even further away!! :eek:

pokerplyr80
11-11-2016, 07:51 PM
I've never heard of the scam. If you're inclined to see if they're serious ask for a good faith deposit to hold the card for a couple of weeks. Maybe 10% of the purchase price. You will quickly find out if they're legitimate buyers or not.

irv
11-11-2016, 08:22 PM
I've never heard of the scam. If you're inclined to see if they're serious ask for a good faith deposit to hold the card for a couple of weeks. Maybe 10% of the purchase price. You will quickly find out if they're legitimate buyers or not.

There are all kinds of these. (links below) I have had a few tries over the years when I have been selling things. Mostly ones where the buyer tells you he/she will pay more than your asking. There is usually some spiel about them being over seas or going through a divorce etc. Pretty easy to tell, especially the grammar/spelling and usually requesting money being deposited in Western Union.

It's fun to play with them by stringing them along however so there is some entertainment value in it if your so inclined.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pay%20me%20later%20scam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/western-union-agents-accused-of-helping-scammers-1.2519010

Mdmtx
11-11-2016, 09:28 PM
I have bought a number of cards and sets on time. From eBay. From net54. From in person etc... I have a set budget for cards each month. And if there is something I like that is beyond my cash position, I have no reason to not ask. I always pay in full before they ship. Hence my signature line on net54. If they don't want to sell on a lay away Type basis, no harm, no foul. There are far more cards for sale than there are buyers. I wouldn't call it a buyers market due to the run up in prices of late, but there are far more for sale than buyers to buy and no sign of cards running on short supply in the near future. Outside of a few rarities, the full catalog of baseball cards can be purchased over a relatively short period if you just have the cash.