PDA

View Full Version : Exhibit Cards?

JamesGallo
11-09-2016, 11:09 AM
I got about 25 different cards that appear to be Exhibits but I don't know much about them and I have had trouble iding them. These came from a old time collection, and the person mostly collected in the 80s and before.

Here is a scan of the 4 best cards player wise and one that had a high price on it. The cards are on heavy cardboard stock and are 5 by just a touch over 3 inches.

http://www.thetoyheaven.com/images/items/baseballcards/exhibits.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

James Gallo

Harford20
11-09-2016, 11:16 AM
James,
The Bob Feller and Enos Slaughter exhibits are definitely from the 1947 Bond Bread Exhibits set. These have both been graded by TPGs, although it is still unclear from a "true" manufacturers standpoint.

I believe the Mize and the Lindell are also from that set, but I cannot verify that from my collection. Both these players are also in the 1947 Bond Bread set, but with the "thinner" signatures, I cannot guarantee this.

Dave

JamesGallo
11-09-2016, 11:53 AM
So the mystery deepens. It seems the cards I have match the checklist for the 1947 Bond Bread with most of them being from the square corner find found in the 1980s.

Here are the 17 common cards
(3)* Ewell Blackwell
(4)* Lou Boudreau
(6)* Harry Brecheen
(9)* Bobbie Doerr (Bobby)
(11)* Bob Elliott
(12)* Del Ennis
(13)* Bob Feller
(16)* Joe Gordon
(19)* Tommy Holmes
(24)* Ken Keltner
(26)* Ralph Kiner
(30)* Johnny Mize
(33)* Johnny Pesky
(36)* Aaron Robinson
(38)* John Sain
(39)* Enos Slaughter
(40)* Vern Stephens

Then 7 more uncommon cards
(20) Larry Janson (Jansen)
(21) Sheldon Jones
(22) Edwin Joost
(27) John Lindell
(28) Whitey Lockman
(41) George Tebbetts
(43) Johnny Van Der Meer (VanderMeer)

The kicker is I have a Walker Cooper that isn't listed on old cardboard.
Also I am not clear on what Old Cardboard is saying here"Note: The Bond Bread set was originally issued with round corners. In the 1980's a large stash of square cornered cards were "discovered" in a New York warehouse and are the most common of the cards seen today. The square-cornered cards are known for exactly one-half of the set (24 of the 48 cards; including 2 of the 4 boxers) and are identified with an asterisk (*) in the above checklist."

Does this mean that only those 24 cards had square corners or that only those 24 cards were in the find and that everyone is available on the checklist. All my cards have square corners. Regardless it seems Cooper needs to be added to the OC listing.

James Gallo

Zach Wheat
11-09-2016, 11:57 AM
May be worth IM'ing Adam on the Pre-War side....I am not sure he posts over here. I am sure he would have an answer....

Z

Exhibitman
11-09-2016, 11:59 AM
James: you're talking apples and oranges. The cards you show and describe are classified in the SCD book as the 1947 Bond Bread Exhibits, though they are not Exhibit cards and not premiums with bread. Cooper is a known variation. My guess is that he replaced one of the boxers in the bread issue.

JamesGallo
11-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Adam

Ok gotcha so not exhibit card but the set is just named bond bread exhibits.

Any special short prints I should worry about or is all the value in the major HOFs. Seems most of these are in the EX range and worth maybe $10each?

James G

Harford20
11-09-2016, 01:28 PM
James,
The exhibit-size cards, at approx. 5x3 in are more valuable than their smaller counterparts, although only sales will let you know how much. As an example, you can buy the round corner 2x3in card of Slaughter for about $25-30 in VG-Ex, but the exhibit size may bring $40. The commons may not be any difference, being $8-15 each. The bigger names, J.Robinson, Williams, and Musial bring in 3-5x that of the smaller card.
Dave

Exhibitman
11-10-2016, 10:44 AM
They can get really pricey in top grades in slabs.