PDA

View Full Version : This grading gets a grade of F

brianp-beme
11-06-2016, 12:00 PM
I have purchased from this seller in the past with no issues, but wow is his grading of cards extremely loose. Check out what qualifies for Vg+...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-WORLD-WIDE-GUM-82-V354-CANADIAN-GOUDEY-ERNIE-LOMBARDI-REDS-HOF-VG-/371781262761?hash=item568fe3dda9:g:hg4AAOSwmLlX3zM c

As the saying goes, buy the card, not the grader.

Brian

D. Bergin
11-06-2016, 12:29 PM
That's why scans are great, you don't have to take the word of the grader. Most of us still remember the Wild West of SCD back in the day, when you bought cards based on the arbitrary grade given by the seller, and nothing more.

I still remember when I was 14 or so, I ended up sending back a 58' Mantle listed in VG+ condition, that looked like it had born the brunt of a Black & Decker power sander to the front of the card.

I got my money back, but I was pretty gutted. I had spent months saving up the money for that and a 54T Ted Williams that I ended up keeping, but wasn't happy about that one either.

In my depression, I probably ended up blowing the money I got back on a bunch of new Rack-Packs at Kay-Bee Toy Store.

Fred
11-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Didn't you guys read the listing, it indicates "Experienced Seller". If fleabay says the person is experienced, then who are we to judge? :eek:

Leon
11-06-2016, 01:32 PM
I think it's only vg.

brianp-beme
11-06-2016, 02:02 PM
I believe the '+' indicates no power tools were used in the destruction of the card.

Brian

brianp-beme
11-06-2016, 02:32 PM
I bet the seller might be wondering why this card went from 9 views to 124 views in just a couple of hours. Must be that 1934 World Wide Gum HOF cards in Vg+ are hot now.

Brian

GrayGhost
11-06-2016, 05:07 PM
That's why scans are great, you don't have to take the word of the grader. Most of us still remember the Wild West of SCD back in the day, when you bought cards based on the arbitrary grade given by the seller, and nothing more.

I still remember when I was 14 or so, I ended up sending back a 58' Mantle listed in VG+ condition, that looked like it had born the brunt of a Black & Decker power sander to the front of the card.

I got my money back, but I was pretty gutted. I had spent months saving up the money for that and a 54T Ted Williams that I ended up keeping, but wasn't happy about that one either.

In my depression, I probably ended up blowing the money I got back on a bunch of new Rack-Packs at Kay-Bee Toy Store.

sadly, not on uncut super sheets or gorgeous football cello packs:cool:

and Lombardi may be a poor minus REPRINT too. ha

ksabet
11-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Its also $10

GrayGhost
11-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Its also $10

the issue is the condition description, not the price. lol

Steve D
11-06-2016, 08:03 PM
I'd say the grade of VG is correct, as in Very Gnarled :D

Steve

brianp-beme
11-06-2016, 11:54 PM
I preface my remarks in stating that I have made a vintage collecting career out of the $10.00 card. Fortunately my collecting spans back to 80's when $10 went a lot further.

A couple of things I have noticed since originally posting. First off, this is evidently not a $10.00 card, as no one has bitten the prior SIX times it was listed. Secondly the seller previously had another World Wide Goudey Lombardi (in my estimation fair condition would be a stretch, but still a somewhat decent looking card) listed as VG+. So it looks like he just reused the auction listing description and title and inserted new scans.

Brian (just to be fair and accurate)

GasHouseGang
11-06-2016, 11:56 PM
I too remember the "wild west" days of SCD and depending on someone's description. I once bought a 1956 Topps set that way and had to return it to the seller. A Nm-Mt set was at best Vg-Vg+. I was sweating until I got that money back!

Leon
11-07-2016, 05:38 AM
There was never any grading like Larry Frisch (RIP) grading. Oh the memories....

"But Larry, the corner is missing how is it EX?" Just sent it back and tell me why, for a refund, Larry would say. He never had an issue with refunds. I wonder if Battlefield....oh, never mind....

D. Bergin
11-07-2016, 08:42 AM
sadly, not on uncut super sheets or gorgeous football cello packs:cool:

Yeah, those were the days Scott. Wish I had 1/2 the stuff now, that I did when I was a teenager digging up oddball stuff nobody really cared about then.

david_l
11-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Huh. Let me know if anyone's interested in my gem mint DeLong Traynor.

https://s12.postimg.org/qvitb8mgt/image.jpg

GasHouseGang
11-07-2016, 02:17 PM
There was never any grading like Larry Frisch (RIP) grading. Oh the memories....

"But Larry, the corner is missing how is it EX?" Just sent it back and tell me why, for a refund, Larry would say. He never had an issue with refunds. I wonder if Battlefield....oh, never mind....

I remember when the TPG services started and so many of the long time dealers kept saying how we didn't need people grading cards, and it would never work. I kept thinking that it was quite a coincidence that many of the dealers that were doing the most whining were dealers I had bought over-graded cards from.:rolleyes:

nat
11-07-2016, 07:06 PM