PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Cubs are WS champions

kmac32
11-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Unless you are living in a hole, I am sure this is not new news but the 108 year drought is over for us Cub fans. Was an awesome series and awesome game 7 in extras. Will be one of the more memorable World series in the history of the sport. Indians were a tough adversary and they played us tough. Go Cubs Go!

HOF Auto Rookies
11-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Simply amazing.

Topps206
11-02-2016, 11:21 PM
I love this team. It was worth all the waiting.

Harliduck
11-02-2016, 11:41 PM
What an amazing WS...I live in Seattle but I grew up with a Dad who LOVED the Cubbies (Ron Cey started it...haha) and I travel each week...and got to see the Cubs several times at Wrigley this year....so a transplant long term fan (behind my beloved Mariners of course). Sitting in a bar in St. Paul Minnesota right now and the place is going nuts...great day for the MLB!!!!

What a series...what a game. A true tribute to the sport we love and support. There are long time Cub fans here weeping...

Marckus99
11-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Congrats to the Cubbies!!!!

mattsey9
11-02-2016, 11:54 PM
"Whoever heard of the Cubs losing a game they had to have?"

-Frank Chance, 1908.

Frank, the boys done us all proud tonight!

BeanTown
11-02-2016, 11:54 PM
Congrats to the Cubbies!!!!

+1

Louieman
11-03-2016, 12:04 AM
I mean isn't that exactly what baseball is about right there? What a game, one of the greatest I've seen no doubt. I remember what it was like to grow up a Giants fan, with my dad, and how special it was to share '10 '12 and '14 with him, especially after we shared all those years of heartbreak before that. I can imagine Cubs fans are experiencing that same type of joy, not only in victory, but in a shared release of pain that in their case has been truly generational.

Vintagecatcher
11-03-2016, 12:20 AM
Congrats to Ken and all the Cubs fans!

I'm sure you are feeling the pure joy like l felt when the Red Sox finally won the 2004 World Series!

Enjoy!

No need to "Wait Until Next Year"...This is your year!

Patrick

Steve D
11-03-2016, 12:21 AM
Even though I've never been a Cubs fan, I was rooting for the Cubs in the World Series. After game 4 however, I said to myself "Stick a fork in 'em (the Cubs), they're done!" I just couldn't see them coming back from 3-1 down.

Then, I started thinking. Lester starting game 5 at Wrigley, and the Cubs will have the mindset of "we can't let the Indians sweep us at Wrigley". Then Arrieta pitching game 6. If he can do what he's done all year, and they give him some offensive support, then you've got a game 7, which is anyone's game. Sure, the Indians will be at home, but the Cubs will have the momentum. I still felt the odds favored the Indians, but I no longer thought the Cubs were "done".

Then, what do you know, the Cubs won games 5 and 6. I couldn't even watch game 6 because my stupid cable company (Time Warner/Spectrum) flipped the wrong switch while making a change to my account, and killed my cable connection Tuesday afternoon. I didn't get my cable back until Wednesday afternoon. Then game 7; probably the best game 7 in history. I thought Maddon was crazy to pull Hendrix out when he did. I actually shed a tear when Ross hit the homerun in his last game, while realizing he wouldn't have even been in the game at that point had Maddon not put in Lester when he did. Then Maddon doubled-down on his craziness when he pulled Lester! Chapman just didn't have any gas left in his tank; he was running on fumes. He beared down though and got through it!

Congratulations to the Cubs for never giving up and keeping with the fight, and especially to all their fans who have weathered the storms of futility and being oh-so-close so many times.

Steve

GasHouseGang
11-03-2016, 12:27 AM
I'm obviously a Cardinals fan, but was cheering for the Cubs tonight to break the curse. It was a great game and was in doubt till the end. I loved the Budweiser commercial with Harry Caray they ran after the game. Congrats to all the long suffering Cubs fans.

clydepepper
11-03-2016, 12:27 AM
The quote of the night?

Joe Buck said, "This commercial-free break is brought to you by T-Mobile."

Now, say goodnight, Raymond.

"Goodnight Raymond"

11-03-2016, 05:31 AM
I'm sleepy as all get out this morning, but what a game!!

How lucky is Ben Zobrist?

The only downside to this historic event: tickets to Wrigley will now be the most expensive item of the trip to the National. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snapolit1
11-03-2016, 07:10 AM
I'm baseballed out. Watched more games this season than any year I can remember. Well needed break needed. Still and always the greatest game in the world.

Leon
11-03-2016, 07:16 AM
I don't watch MLB but did some of the WS and Game 7. That was a great game. Congrats to the Cubbies and their fans. I am a National League person so was rooting for them....

birdman42
11-03-2016, 07:34 AM
An unexpected side benefit...

My wife is definitely not a baseball fan. But she's from Chicago, and would sit with me reading or playing a game, sort of listening while I watched the series. During game 3, she lifted her head and said, "What's the difference between a 2-seam fastball and a 4-seam fastball?" Hooked!

Bill

darwinbulldog
11-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Let's buy this man a beer now.

GoCubsGo32
11-03-2016, 08:02 AM
The CHICAGO CUBS are WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! I didn't think I would ever be able to say/or witness that in my lifetime! I'm fairy certain I died at least 3 times while watching Game 7. If it wasn't for that rain delay to regather ourselves (Jason Heyward finally had his moment) I don't know if we would've pulled out the win. In the end, it took 1 rain delay to end a 108 year drought.

I stayed up to 3:30am partying it up and finally I can stop saying, " Wait..until next year.." ...now... you'll hear me say, " Let's repeat baby!"

FLY THE "W"--orld Champs!

spaidly
11-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Cubs totally deserve it. Congrats to all Cubs fans out there. The misery is over.

Peter_Spaeth
11-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Great win for Cubs fans and one of the very best games I have ever watched.

Had they lost, the very questionable pitching decisions by Maddon the last two games might have been criticized forever.

Snapolit1
11-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Maddon is the one thing about the Cubs I don't like. Spends waaay too much making deliberately off the wall decisions to show the world what an eccentric genius he is. Very contrived.

Peter_Spaeth
11-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Maddon is the one thing about the Cubs I don't like. Spends waaay too much making deliberately off the wall decisions to show the world what an eccentric genius he is. Very contrived.

Unless there was something we didn't know, he inexplicably (to me) yanked early two of the league's best starters who were on cruise control. And his handling of Chapman was horrible, who the hell uses a closer for multiple innings with a five run lead? And although as it turned out Chapman pitched a gutsy 9th last night, after getting lit up like a pinball machine he should have been out of there.

packs
11-03-2016, 09:33 AM
I don't understand his blase attitude toward Hector Rondon. The guy was your closer 2 years running and closed the first half of this year. Yet when it comes to the palyoffs and a burnt out Chapman, he's nowhere to be found. Instead he goes with Carl Edwards Jr.

tedzan
11-03-2016, 09:47 AM
GO CUBS ............

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/tedzan77/albumchicago.jpg

When Maddon pulled Hendrix for Lester which resulted in 2 more Runs for Clev., I was livid. Then Maddon pulled Lester, and I told my wife the Cubs are going to lose this game.

Thank Providence for the 17 min. rain delay....a really great World Series.

TED Z

Kawika
11-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Tinkers to Evers to Rizzo!
The Cardiac Cubs are champs!

leaflover
11-03-2016, 11:34 AM
OK Maddon choked. Thank goodness the players didn't. I hope that pamphlet he kept referring to during the game was about "Florida Retirement".

mybuddyinc
11-03-2016, 11:40 AM
OK Maddon choked. Thank goodness the players didn't. I hope that pamphlet he kept referring to during the game was about "Florida Retirement".

My sediments exactly .............. he looked like a frightened little high school freshman the entire game ..............

pokerplyr80
11-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Steve D, too late now, but you could have downloaded the fox sports app and watched the game for free. I watched a couple of games on my phone while stuck at work. A great ending to perhaps the greatest world series of all time, despite the questionable decisions by the Cubs manager.

Gobucsmagic74
11-03-2016, 12:02 PM
The CHICAGO CUBS are WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! I didn't think I would ever be able to say/or witness that in my lifetime! I'm fairy certain I died at least 3 times while watching Game 7. If it wasn't for that rain delay to regather ourselves (Jason Heyward finally had his moment) I don't know if we would've pulled out the win. In the end, it took 1 rain delay to end a 108 year drought.

I stayed up to 3:30am partying it up and finally I can stop saying, " Wait..until next year.." ...now... you'll hear me say, " Let's repeat baby!"

FLY THE "W"--orld Champs!

My only question is does Heyward's $170M locker room speech excuse his abysmal batting?

vintagetoppsguy
11-03-2016, 12:24 PM
It's kind of ironic that the Cleveland Cavs came back from a 3-1 series deficit to win the NBA Championship. However the Cleveland Indians let a 3-1 series lead slip away in the World Series.

Congrats Cubs!

11-03-2016, 12:41 PM
In case you wondered why there wasn't a jersey as bright as the sun shining from the seats behind home plate, the Marlins Man had to sit this one out: https://mobile.twitter.com/Marlins_Man/status/794202114545385472?s=04

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoCubsGo32
11-03-2016, 12:49 PM
My only question is does Heyward's $170M locker room speech excuse his abysmal batting?

Maybe I'm crazy, but why not? We surly weren't going to get much from his game performances. His AB's were horrible. His glove was decent/a little above avg. That's it.

If his contribution to the team was regrouping us... to make sure we finish the game with a "W"... to beat a 108 year drought/curse....I'll take it. I'm surprise it was Heyward that made the "speech" vs. Ross.

cubsguy1969
11-03-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm still in shock. What an incredible game that showed just how tough and gritty this Cubs team is. A lot of teams (most certainly Cubs teams of the past) would have folded after that homer to tie. But the Cubs battled back. Amazing. I'm a zombie today at work. But all my friends here in New York are congratulating me so it's pretty sweet. I agree that Maddon's decisions were questionable at best -- I was screaming at the television when he took Hendricks out. But I do believe he was the right guy to lead this team. He kept the Cubs loose all year under incredible pressure. And they obviously love the guy and play their asses off for him. Again, amazing.

icollectDCsports
11-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Congrats to Cubs fans and condolences to Indians fans. Too bad one of those long-suffering sets of fans had to be on the losing end.

Jason Carota
11-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Such a great WS capped off by an amazing game 7. Great time to be a baseball fan to finally see the Cubs win it all.

I'm not sure if Red Sox fans (of which I am) and Cubs fans are kindred spirits, but my hear sank after Davis hit the HR to tie the game. It felt like the "curse" was going to continue.

packs
11-03-2016, 03:46 PM
I wonder why they didn't open up Wrigley Field for the game. They could have charged nominal admission, opened the concessions, patched the game in on the scoreboard and made a killing.

Sean
11-03-2016, 04:07 PM
What an amazing WS...I live in Seattle but I grew up with a Dad who LOVED the Cubbies (Ron Cey started it...haha) and I travel each week...and got to see the Cubs several times at Wrigley this year....so a transplant long term fan (behind my beloved Mariners of course). Sitting in a bar in St. Paul Minnesota right now and the place is going nuts...great day for the MLB!!!!

What a series...what a game. A true tribute to the sport we love and support. There are long time Cub fans here weeping...
John, which bar are you in? Gabe's by the Park?

Shoeless Moe
11-03-2016, 04:10 PM
I wonder why they didn't open up Wrigley Field for the game. They could have charged nominal admission, opened the concessions, patched the game in on the scoreboard and made a killing.

I believe because its in a neighborhood, even during the regular season they are only allotted a certain amount of night games. (could be another reason but this is my guess)

Peoples lawns get trashed. Lots of drunken fans leaving garbage in their yards, peeing in the alleys, sides of their houses.

bnorth
11-03-2016, 04:20 PM
John, which bar are you in? Gabe's by the Park?

I was going to be a smart a$$ and say Stand up Frank's but I seen my favorite dive bar in MSP closed.:( Had some crazy times there back in the late 80's early 90's.:D

PolarBear
11-03-2016, 06:00 PM
I'm already looking forward to 2124!!!

Jobu
11-03-2016, 07:32 PM
I thought that this story belonged in this thread:

http://www.wthr.com/article/cubs-fan-shares-world-series-with-late-father-at-greenwood-cemetery

clydepepper
11-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Didn't it seem like there was a whole lot of action after two outs?

I thought so...so I went back and check the play-by-plays.

Each team scored 27 total runs in the series:

Chicago scored 9 runs after two outs (5 in Game 6)

Cleveland scored 16 runs after two outs (5 in Game 1; 6 in Game 7)

I thought this was pretty interesting.

What a GREAT final game! I do believe I can make it through the winter now.

Gary Dunaier
11-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Since this is a memorabilia forum, I thought you guys might like to see a screen capture I made of Anthony Rizzo putting the ball used to make the final out in his pocket for safekeeping.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5674/30131486394_f138726823_b.jpg

ValKehl
11-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Before all you Cubs fans get your hopes up too high for a repeat in 2017, keep in mind that it is now Washington's turn to win a WS. We haven't won since 1924, which is a 92 year drought for anyone who is counting. If Harper, Zimmerman, and Strasburg avoid slumps/injuries next year, then ... Oh well, one can always dream!!

almostdone
11-04-2016, 05:07 AM
Since this is a memorabilia forum, I thought you guys might like to see a screen capture I made of Anthony Rizzo putting the ball used to make the final out in his pocket for safekeeping.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5674/30131486394_f138726823_b.jpg

I actually noticed that as it happened. I thought what a cool momento of this historic series for him as a player. Also thought wonder how long before it comes up to auction.
Drew

11-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Before all you Cubs fans get your hopes up too high for a repeat in 2017, keep in mind that it is now Washington's turn to win a WS. We haven't won since 1924, which is a 92 year drought for anyone who is counting. If Harper, Zimmerman, and Strasburg avoid slumps/injuries next year, then ... Oh well, one can always dream!!

Val, all they have to do is trade for Zobrist.

clydepepper
11-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Now, that's amazing!

My old bosses would have made me work...
which is another good reason I'm retired.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ValKehl
11-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Val, all they have to do is trade for Zobrist.

Daryl, I would love for the Nationals to trade for Zobrist, so long as the Cubbies aren't thinking they are going to get Danny Murphy in return!

ValKehl
11-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Here's the link to a touching piece in today's Washington Post about a die-hard Cubs fan, an Ernie Banks baseball card, and the POTUS/FLOTUS: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/03/michelle-obama-ernie-banks-and-my-dad-just-might-have-helped-end-the-cubs-curse/

Peter_Spaeth
11-04-2016, 04:05 PM

What on earth happened to Harper this year? It seems he never got his head back together after a few series where the opposing team kept walking him intentionally. Staggering drop-off from 2015.

ValKehl
11-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Thomas Boswell of the Washington Post is the long-time dean of sports writers in our Nation's Capital. He begins his column in today's edition by mentioning how every print journalist in the press box had almost completely written two different versions of the 7th game, depending upon which team won, and had them ready to be transmitted to their newspaper immediately after the game ended. Of course, the newspaper readers never see the version written for the team that didn't win. Boswell decided to depart from the norm - in today's column, Boswell gives us "the beginning of the column I had written, but of course never filed, about Cleveland's wonderful world title - and Chicago's almost unthinkable blown lead." Hopefully, this will be a "feel good" read for dismayed Indians' fans. Here's the link to it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/cubs-choke-indians-win-alternate-game-7-column-shows-fine-line-between-winning-and-losing/2016/11/03/5c8dfb5c-a1d9-11e6-8d63-3e0a660f1f04_story.html

Be sure to not skip the last few paragraphs of Boswell's column, in which he describes the similarities between this game and the 7th game of the 1924 WS, when the Washington Senators and Walter Johnson won their only WS championship.

Val (1917 is gonna be Washington's year!!)

ValKehl
11-04-2016, 04:37 PM
What on earth happened to Harper this year? It seems he never got his head back together after a few series where the opposing team kept walking him intentionally. Staggering drop-off from 2015.

Peter, my take on Harper (and, I'm not a Harper fan) is that he's not as good as he appeared to be in 2015 and not as bad as he appeared to be in 2016. Don't forget that Harper batted .270, .274, and .273 in his first 3 years before his career year in 2015. My guess is that he will average .280 to .300 and 30 to 35 homers over the remainder of his career - nice numbers, but a borderline HOFer, IMHO.
Val

clydepepper
11-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Peter, my take on Harper (and, I'm not a Harper fan) is that he's not as good as he appeared to be in 2015 and not as bad as he appeared to be in 2016. Don't forget that Harper batted .270, .274, and .273 in his first 3 years before his career year in 2015. My guess is that he will average .280 to .300 and 30 to 35 homers over the remainder of his career - nice numbers, but a borderline HOFer, IMHO.
Val

I believe Harper is actually much closer to 2015 than 2016.

From what I have read, when he did play, it was in spite of some painful injuries to his neck and one of his shoulders.

Everyone is so very hard on him...let's not forget how young he is.

It also does not help to be constantly compared to the best player in the game.

By the way, IMO, when completely healthy, he is very close to that level.

The Nationals will be the Cubs biggest threats to repeat - especially if the 2015 Harper - or anyone close to that - re-appears.

irishdenny
11-04-2016, 04:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Put THiS Your Other Thread...
Watch'd Every Game til the End!
I'm Very Happy Fir THeM!!!

"The MaGiC BeGiNs NOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!"

Down 3 Games ta 1!
Hey, The Red Sox Did iT!!!
Why Not Da Cubbies!?!?

I Have BeeN of the Purist MinD,
I Just Love ta Watch Baseball in General...
Sure I Favorite Teams, The METS BeiN my Favorite!
Up Until Now, I Really Didn't Care Who Won...

Til Taday!!!

"Com'on Cubs... Lets Do THiS!!!"
I'm Officially oN Da BandWagoN...