PDA

View Full Version : 1914 - 15 Cracker Jack Find

Boccabella
11-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Love of the Game has landed one of the year's top finds:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/huge-find-1914-1915-cracker-jack-cards-consigned-auction/.

rjackson44
11-01-2016, 09:55 AM
just registered thanks rich ,,

Jantz
11-01-2016, 10:28 AM
I really enjoy seeing threads like this one.

Nice find and consigned with a good guy.

Thanks for posting the link.

mechanicalman
11-01-2016, 10:37 AM
That Matty - my goodness!

Donscards
11-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Verkman and rea had quite a few crackerjacks I their past auction last month. I won 14 crackerjacks in Verkmans auction and will be bidding In Love of the Game auctions. We do love our Crackerjacks.

Sean
11-01-2016, 11:40 AM
That Matty - my goodness!

Great 1914 Mathewson. I wish that I could afford it. :(

ajjohnsonsoxfan
11-01-2016, 11:51 AM
That Matty looks no good to me. I don't recommend anyone bidding on it. As a matter of fact just forget you ever saw it.

:-)

edjs
11-01-2016, 12:23 PM
That Matty looks no good to me. I don't recommend anyone bidding on it. As a matter of fact just forget you ever saw it.

:-)

Matty? What Matty? I didn't see any Matty. I'm sure it doesn't exist. ;)

Rookiemonster
11-02-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry but this entire little Oliver story sounds fake . I think little Oliver died from a diabetic over dose from 140 cracker jacks boxes that we know of. That being said the cards look awesome . But the cards were probably purchased from a little old lady for 10 bucks because she didn't know what she had . I feel like with all theses recent "finds" you see people getting over excited more for the story behind the
"Find" . I'm sorry but they add a nice story about fake ass Oliver and it's makes news and a splash then in turns in to scramble for the cards.

I don't think it would have been revived as well if you said yeah some old lady
Didn't know what she had and we ripped her of .

ajjohnsonsoxfan
11-02-2016, 10:53 AM
It's possible, but I know Al @ LOTG and he's a stand up guy and straight shooter so I know he wouldn't perpetrate a fake back story. Regardless anytime you have newly found cards that are otherwise fairly scarce like the CJ's are you're gonna get lots of interest...little Oliver or no little Oliver. haha

aloondilana
11-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Whoever wins Matty is gonna pay for it.
I am coming out of the gate at 20k

Sean
11-02-2016, 11:19 AM
I paid $15k for a Matty PSA 1 last spring, so I'm guessing that this one clears $30.

aloondilana
11-02-2016, 11:31 AM
I agree Sean, I know 20k ain't gonna do it. It very easily could push 40k

Mdmtx
11-02-2016, 11:43 AM
I will bid 18k then. I can be a big shot baller for an hour. :D

Mark

Sean
11-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I will bid 18k then. I can be a big shot baller for an hour. :D

Mark

That's what I do when a Wagner comes up for auction. :D

Rookiemonster
11-02-2016, 01:15 PM
AJ your right that some interest within the hobby will
Be there . But getting more press is what this is all about and
Drawing in others . I'm not saying the auction house was like hey make up a
Story about these cards but rather the seller did .

Donscards
11-02-2016, 02:33 PM
AJ. These cracker jacks are great. I hope to get at least five. I hope you don't take them all. Have fun. Don

ajjohnsonsoxfan
11-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Don don't worry about me I won't be a bidder. Especially on that horrible looking Matty. Nasty card. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Very excited though that you've got the CJ bug. You building a set or just looking to pick up some additional for your business?

Donscards
11-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Don don't worry about me I won't be a bidder. Especially on that horrible looking Matty. Nasty card. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Very excited though that you've got the CJ bug. You building a set or just looking to pick up some additional for your business?

AJ. Yes I do love the CJs. I am looking to get more, I have picked up 25 more since I saw u at the National. Hope to pick up a few more in this auction.

sycks22
11-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Couldn't have found a better guy in Al to auction off these beauties. The Matty and Shoeless Joe look amazing.

The-Cardfather
11-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Whoever wins Matty is gonna pay for it.
I am coming out of the gate at 20k

I paid $15k for a Matty PSA 1 last spring, so I'm guessing that this one clears $30.

I agree Sean, I know 20k ain't gonna do it. It very easily could push 40k

Wow........

You guys are talking about spending $20 - $40K the way I would talk about spending $20 - $40 dollars. $40K would be roughly half my annual salary!

It must be nice to have that kind of money.

Sean
11-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Wow........

You guys are talking about spending $20 - $40K the way I would talk about spending $20 - $40 dollars. $40K would be roughly half my annual salary!

$40k is more than half my annual salary. I just have f...ed up priorities.

Also, I keep telling my girlfriend that it's an investment. ;)

Joshwesley
11-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Lol
That's awesome! I think? :D

Leon
11-03-2016, 07:20 AM

If you collect and buy the right cards they can be an investment. But don't tell anyone that. It's a secret.

MikeGarcia
11-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Wow........

..would you like Leon's phone number ?; if you can catch him sober , he'll verify that it indeed is...

sniffy5
11-03-2016, 08:29 AM
The 1914's I've seen from this find are extremely suspiciously bright and free of caramel stains. I have the 1914 CJ set, and have had at least two of every card at one time or another (except JJ), and almost all of them have stains. I definitely believe the Matty, JJ and Johnson were soaked. I've had a few soaked CJ's, and that is exactly what they look like when they are soaked. Of course, I'd still buy them!

wilsonjc08
11-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Incredible offering. I hope to land at least a couple of the commons!

Leon
11-03-2016, 08:50 AM
..would you like Leon's phone number ?; if you can catch him sober , he'll verify that it indeed is...

PM apology accepted.....

As for the CJ find, I think it's awesome!!! I look forward to the auction....

spaidly
11-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Drool.

Yoda
11-03-2016, 09:32 AM
I have noticed, of course, that Al has integrated these fantastic CJ's into his upcoming auction, the preview for which has been up a couple of days with bidding starting tonight at 11pm. The whole auction looks terrific, not just the CJ's, but I wonder is it standard practice for LFTG Auctions to leave out descriptions so close to kick-off? Regardless of the quality of the material, an auction without descriptions is going to be problematic

Stampsfan
11-03-2016, 12:56 PM
I have noticed, of course, that Al has integrated these fantastic CJ's into his upcoming auction, the preview for which has been up a couple of days with bidding starting tonight at 11pm. The whole auction looks terrific, not just the CJ's, but I wonder is it standard practice for LFTG Auctions to leave out descriptions so close to kick-off? Regardless of the quality of the material, an auction without descriptions is going to be problematic

+1

was thinking the same thing yesterday when browsing the auction.

Al C.risafulli
11-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Hi Folks:

Just a quick note about this. Not to worry, the detailed descriptions that you've come to expect from LOTG will ALL be visible when the auction launches. We had a lot of demand for a preview this time around (which we typically don't do for more than an hour or so), but the descriptions were not all complete. So we suppressed them all while we worked on them, but opened up the scans and photos for all to see.

The auction should be live within an hour or so, and then you'll be able to read all the descriptions.

Best,
-Al

Jobu
11-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Post deleted b/c apparently I don't know how to use the internet!

Good luck with the sale Al.