PDA

View Full Version : Bob Clemente

Snapolit1
10-26-2016, 02:22 PM
See a lot of references in the hobby to "Bob" Clemente. And I've seen cards with the anglicized version of his name. Was there any indication he actually went by Bob during his career, or used it himself in any way, or was it just a figment of the fact that people were more uncomfortable in those days with mainstream stars having ethnic names and some agent somewhere told him to allow it on cards?

rats60
10-26-2016, 03:19 PM
https://books.google.com/books?id=03XsO25A3I8C&pg=PA116&lpg=PA116&dq=bob+clemente&source=bl&ots=xfo4-ymFfe&sig=RsrSmfE52ckWJZsHkdx6HWp_ztY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG3_DPrvnPAhVqzVQKHQ0gAbs4FBDoAQhIMAc#v =onepage&q=bob%20clemente&f=false

Clemente didn't appreciate another practice of the media. Some writers and broadcasters insisted on calling him "Bob" or "Bobby."

Clemente didn't encourage such Americanization of his given name, a disrespectful practice that had occurred mostly during the late fifties and early sixties. "Roberto made it clear from the first that his name was 'Roberto,' not 'Bobby,' says Luis Mayoral. "He didn't like that. He didn't like that at all. He said, 'My name is 'Roberto Clemente,' not 'Bobby Clemente' or 'Robby Clemente.' My name is Roberto Clemente.'"

Snapolit1
10-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Cool. Thanks. Cleared up! Not surprised with the explanation, but you never know.

almostdone
10-26-2016, 08:11 PM
I find it interesting that there is a number of examples where he would sign his autograph for fans as Bob Clemente. I've been searching for an autographed ball with him on it for a while and have seen a few signed that way.
Drew

BBB
10-26-2016, 11:29 PM
I find it interesting that there is a number of examples where he would sign his autograph for fans as Bob Clemente. I've been searching for an autographed ball with him on it for a while and have seen a few signed that way.

Drew

That's a really interesting point. No way to know, but I'd take a wild guess that over time he may have accepted the nick name as 'the way it is' for some of his fans and casually embraced it....I could easily see his representation explaining how it's more marketable and helps him reach fans etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rats60
10-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Drew

Do you have a link or picture? I have never seen him sign Bob. I would question the authenticity of anything signed Bob.

almostdone
10-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Do you have a link or picture? I have never seen him sign Bob. I would question the authenticity of anything signed Bob.

I don't have a link but Heritage had a number of nice Clemente items in a spring auction. I know there was at least one in there. If I find it I will post it.
Drew

almostdone
10-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Here is one from an older auction. Not the one I was referring to. Can't locate that one yet.
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1956-pittsburgh-pirates-team-signed-baseball/a/717-82031.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
Drew

almostdone
10-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Found the one I was originally referring to.
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1957-pittsburgh-pirates-team-signed-baseball/a/7123-81660.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
Drew

almostdone
10-27-2016, 03:14 PM
One more.
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1956-pittsburgh-pirates-team-signed-baseball-with-early-clemente/a/7120-81539.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Interesting that all three of these are dated as earlier on in his career. Perhaps as he aged and matured he became more reluctant to sign "Bob" as opposed to his classic given name.
Drew

sickmantz
10-27-2016, 03:50 PM
Possible he also did it so the signature would fit.

hcv123
11-01-2016, 07:12 PM

I am no autograph expert. I have collected Clemente cards and memorabilia for over 25 years. I agree with the above post and do question the authenticity of the Clemente signature on the balls posted. His name mattered to him - A LOT. Especially so early in his career. Aside from the posted balls I too do not recollect seeing a "Bob" signature signed by Clemente. I have seen many signed Clemente items. Perhaps some of those board members more "expert" in autographs could weigh in with their opinion and experience.

Howard

Steve D
11-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Personally, Topps' changing his name to "Bob" on cards from 1957-1969 absolutely ruins the cards for me. I LOVE his 1963 and 1967 cards, but just cannot/will not spend the money on them due to them saying "Bob" instead of "Roberto".

Steve

Snapolit1
11-01-2016, 08:22 PM
New Heritage auction has a separate catalog for a Clemente collection. Not one of my focuses, but amazing stuff.

flyingdutchman09
11-02-2016, 04:36 AM
I believe some of the Topps cards he signed his name, "Bob". But I agree that he never liked the name. Bob Prince was big on calling him "Bobby."

drmondobueno
11-02-2016, 09:30 AM
And always referred to Roberto as 'Bob'. He called everybody by a nickname if that person liked it or not. Seems all of his relatives did the same. A single syllable nickname. Including me. Is it a cultural thing from a region or generation? I always thought it was generational. Maybe not, ey?

I can say grandpa said Clemente was the best all around ballplayer he ever saw, and he played against barnstorming teams in the early '30's, against all the Yankee greats and the black players of the day. Always thought he was a Pittsburgh homer but maybe not.

hangman62
11-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Ive seen heard old clips with Pirate broadcaster ( Prince ? ) calling him Bobby

the 'stache
11-14-2016, 11:44 AM
I've heard the same. It always seemed to me a term of affection, not meant as a slight to the Great One.

Roberto was absolutely adamant that he be called Roberto. I would never buy an autograph of his where his name was not signed as Roberto, one, because I'd question the authenticity, and two, because it just wouldn't look right to me.

He has one of my favorite signatures of all-time. Right up there, for me, personally, with that of Ken Griffey Jr.

http://www.psacard.com/resourceimages/1955-roberto-clemente-signature-3.jpg

Ive seen heard old clips with Pirate broadcaster ( Prince ? ) calling him Bobby

clydepepper
11-14-2016, 12:13 PM
I've heard the same. It always seemed to me a term of affection, not meant as a slight to the Great One.

Roberto was absolutely adamant that he be called Roberto. I would never buy an autograph of his where his name was not signed as Roberto, one, because I'd question the authenticity, and two, because it just wouldn't look right to me.

He has one of my favorite signatures of all-time. Right up there, for me, personally, with that of Ken Griffey Jr.

http://www.psacard.com/resourceimages/1955-roberto-clemente-signature-3.jpg

Nothing better than an autograph you can READ!

for what it's worth, my own autograph is no longer legible. I blame both technology and age for that.

OFFICIAL PREDICTION:

A time is coming...and it's not too far away...where, due to technology, the hand-written signature may become a lost 'art'.

Might be a good time to start a collection?

- Raymond Robert 'Robbie' (how my friends off the 'net' address me) Culpepper
rrc

Lueth2048
11-15-2016, 02:00 PM
I believe some of the Topps cards he signed his name, "Bob". But I agree that he never liked the name. Bob Prince was big on calling him "Bobby."

I've in several places that Bob Prince was one of the few people that Clemente was OK with using Bob or Bobby instead of Roberto because Prince used it as a term of affection rather than some sort of put-down.