PDA

View Full Version : Bccg

Manny Trillo
10-25-2016, 06:32 PM
Can anyone tell me the thinking behind BCCG? I know that the grading scale is a lot lower then the other grading companies including Beckett itself. Why does Beckett have this alternative grading?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

swarmee
10-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Some reasons:
1) Beckett offers the service cheaper to bulk suppliers of mystery boxes you see at Wal-Mart.
2) A small subset of collectors would rather see their VG cards get a 6 instead of a 3.
3) Some shysters would prefer to have a BCCG 10 than a PSA 8.5 or BGS 8.5/9 because they could sell them to less knowledgeable customers by showing them sales values of PSA/BGS 10/9.5 cards.
4) Some people just don't know any better.

Beckett is doing it as a money grab. Most real collectors think they should discontinue the BCCG service, but some repacker companies are dependent on having a cheap/mainstream grader.

mattjc1983
10-25-2016, 10:37 PM
Some reasons:

1) Beckett offers the service cheaper to bulk suppliers of mystery boxes you see at Wal-Mart.

2) A small subset of collectors would rather see their VG cards get a 6 instead of a 3.

3) Some shysters would prefer to have a BCCG 10 than a PSA 8.5 or BGS 8.5/9 because they could sell them to less knowledgeable customers by showing them sales values of PSA/BGS 10/9.5 cards.

4) Some people just don't know any better.

Beckett is doing it as a money grab. Most real collectors think they should discontinue the BCCG service, but some repacker companies are dependent on having a cheap/mainstream grader.

I would think (but could be wrong) that it would be a cheaper way for someone to ensure they're getting an authentic card than buying the other holders.

On the other hand, I think bccg holders are easier to crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swarmee
10-26-2016, 04:33 AM
On the other hand, I think bccg holders are easier to crack.

Yes, that would be true, but you also have the option of Raw card review from Beckett if you see them at a show. I'm not sure that knowledgeable buyers are going to trust a BCCG holder to be authentic and unaltered. Of course buyers already know that they cannot trust a BGS/BVG card to be cut originally and inserted into a pack, since they grade cards cut from full sheets nowadays.

stlcardsfan
10-26-2016, 07:16 AM
A dealer friend of mine (Tony Schaefer - Monster Cards) put it best in one of his blogs explaining the various grarding companies and options:

"and Beckett has two grading services because...well I don't know why they have two grading services"...

Zach Wheat
10-26-2016, 07:28 AM
Can anyone tell me the thinking behind BCCG? I know that the grading scale is a lot lower then the other grading companies including Beckett itself. Why does Beckett have this alternative grading?

I thought they originally targeted this grading service for the Home Shopping Network crowd. Essentially, so they could grade massive quantities of cards to the lesser standards for a card graded a "10". It was targeted to buyers that did not understand the grading differences.....

Z

Manny Trillo
10-26-2016, 07:37 AM
wow. very interesting.

swarmee
11-02-2016, 04:24 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/490-Killebrew-Mays-Mantle-1968-Topps-Card-6-Bccg-Beckett-Ex-Mt-Good-Better-/252611116707?hash=item3ad0cbbea3:g:DdYAAOSwOyJX9Fy t

Here's a BCCG card graded a 6 (Good or better), which would be a 2 in BVG. Although the seller has EX MT in the title. So this is one of those sellers intending to deceive the buyers with a card graded a "6."

MikeGarcia
11-02-2016, 05:40 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/490-Killebrew-Mays-Mantle-1968-Topps-Card-6-Bccg-Beckett-Ex-Mt-Good-Better-/252611116707?hash=item3ad0cbbea3:g:DdYAAOSwOyJX9Fy t

Here's a BCCG card graded a 6 (Good or better), which would be a 2 in BVG. Although the seller has EX MT in the title. So this is one of those sellers intending to deceive the buyers with a card graded a "6."

...Everything about the listing indicates he does not know what he is doing ; wrong category , comparing to "PSA 6" , etc. etc.----more ignorant than deceptive

mattjc1983
11-02-2016, 07:04 PM

I actually wasn't aware bccg did vintage.

irv
11-02-2016, 07:38 PM
I actually wasn't aware bccg did vintage.

Me neither. I could have sworn anything that met the vintage age would be graded as such and anything newer, 90's and up would be graded BCCG.

Makes me rethink some of the pro's I had for Beckett. :(

swarmee
11-02-2016, 08:26 PM
You're getting their different products confused.

It started with BGS, who graded all cards submitted.
At some point later, there was a split into BGS for modern and BVG for vintage (pre-1980). Early BVG flips show the subgrades, while newer ones do not.

BCCG is a LOW COST, MARGINAL UTILITY grading service for all era's cards that Beckett also provides as a cash grab. However, you can reasonably trust that the cards in BCCG holders are authentic and untrimmed, at least as much as you could any card in a BVG/BGS holder.

irv
11-03-2016, 04:00 AM
You're getting their different products confused.

It started with BGS, who graded all cards submitted.
At some point later, there was a split into BGS for modern and BVG for vintage (pre-1980). Early BVG flips show the subgrades, while newer ones do not.

BCCG is a LOW COST, MARGINAL UTILITY grading service for all era's cards that Beckett also provides as a cash grab. However, you can reasonably trust that the cards in BCCG holders are authentic and untrimmed, at least as much as you could any card in a BVG/BGS holder.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Swarmee. :)