PDA

View Full Version : Tango Eggs Weaver/Tinker

Bliggity
10-24-2016, 03:37 PM
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/Tango%20Weaver_zpsh4amsnha.png

I just wanted to take a minute to appreciate this little oddity. I think it's one of the neatest cards out there. To me, this card has it all. It's from a rare regional issue, pictures Hall of Famer Joe Tinker, and incorrectly identifies him as Black Sox member Buck Weaver. Although the Tango Eggs set has three other mismatched player/photo cards, this is the only one featuring a non-common player or players. Joe Tinker is still checklisted in the set, but so far as I'm aware, an actual Tinker has never yet been seen. Plus, the Weaver/Tinker is one of the more common Tango Eggs cards, so it won't break the bank.

I recently picked up this one from a board member (thanks Matt!). It's one of my new favorite cards, with perfect registration and eye appeal that far exceeds the technical grade. I'm not sure if it belongs in this run since it's technically a "Weaver" card, but since it doesn't appear that a Tinker TE really exists, I'm going to go ahead and include it :D

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/Tinker%20Rainbow_zpsjfsvwtvo.png

Anyone else have Weaver/Tinker or other Tango Eggs oddities to share?

Mikehealer
10-24-2016, 03:51 PM
I used to own this one. One of the nicest thin Kotton's I've seen.
http://photos.imageevent.com/mhgt/hoft206/baseball/louisiana/websize/T216%20Tinker.jpg

Jobu
10-24-2016, 04:18 PM
Nice cards both Dan and Mike. The burned in looking WST/bleed through(?) is cool on Dan's card. Here is my lone Tango Eggs card, the only ghost that I have seen from that set.

h2oya311
10-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Nice cards both Dan and Mike. The burned it looking WST(?) is cool on Dan's card. Here is my lone Tango Eggs card, the only ghost that I have seen from that set.

I'm still so mad that I hadn't checked out the back scan when this was sold earlier this year! I love seeing it in its new SGC holder! Very nice Jobu!

Jay Wolt
10-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Dan that PSA-2 is great looking, congrats!

ZachS
10-24-2016, 11:03 PM
Nice run you got there! A couple of my Tango Eggs:

http://www.louisianacards.com/uploads/2/7/0/3/27039045/7369391.jpg

http://www.louisianacards.com/uploads/2/7/0/3/27039045/9721066.jpg

gabrinus
10-24-2016, 11:59 PM
Nice ghost Bryan!!..never seen a Tango like that...here are two I've shown before.......Jerry

Griffins
10-25-2016, 02:01 AM
I've probably had 30 pass thru my hands, but never seen a ghost image like the Jennings- that is really nice.

ullmandds
10-25-2016, 09:01 AM
love those runs! great cards everyone!!!

Jobu
10-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Dan, which Tinkers of that pose do you still need?

Jerry, I never get tired of seeing that Cobb. 1 of 1, right?

ullmandds
10-25-2016, 10:17 AM
Dan, which Tinkers of that pose do you still need?

Jerry, I never get tired of seeing that Cobb. 1 of 1, right?

atleast 3 other kottons/mino...not sure if d303 reflects this pose?

Bliggity
10-25-2016, 10:56 AM
All great cards, the ghost and the Cobb & Plank 1/1s are really outstanding! Amazing how few of these cards actually seem to have made it into circulation.

Dan, which Tinkers of that pose do you still need

Yeah, I'm a long ways off. There's still the E92 Nadja, E92 Croft's Candy Black, E92 Croft's Candy Blue (if it exists), E92 Croft's Candy Red (if it exists), E92 Croft's Cocoa, E102, E105, D303 General, D303 Mother's, T216 Kotton Type 1, T216 Kotton Type 3, T216 Mino, T216 Virginia. Not sure if there are any blank-backs, Menagerie, Prizefighter, etc.

Jobu
10-25-2016, 12:05 PM
I applaud you for going after such a tough run. Every time I consider starting a run I always chicken out. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm a long ways off. There's still the E92 Nadja, E92 Croft's Candy Black, E92 Croft's Candy Blue (if it exists), E92 Croft's Candy Red (if it exists), E92 Croft's Cocoa, E102, E105, D303 General, D303 Mother's, T216 Kotton Type 1, T216 Kotton Type 3, T216 Mino, T216 Virginia. Not sure if there are any blank-backs, Menagerie, Prizefighter, etc.

ValKehl
10-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Dan, I wish you great success with your Tinker back run. I am working on a back run of Jennings with the orange background (see the Tango Eggs card above). I believe the Tinker and the Jennings both come with all of the same backs. Like you, I have a long way to go. I keep telling myself that all the fun is in the hunt - so, I suppose I'll be having fun for a long time!
Val

ullmandds
10-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Dan, I wish you great success with your Tinker back run. I am working on a back run of Jennings with the orange background (see the Tango Eggs card above). I believe the Tinker and the Jennings both come with all of the same backs. Like you, I have a long way to go. I keep telling myself that all the fun is in the hunt - so, I suppose I'll be having fun for a long time!
Val

ya...you guys are bold! I feel like getting the last few millers I need for my run will take a lifetime...or atleast until a few board members here decide to help!!!!

x2drich2000
10-25-2016, 04:26 PM
ya...you guys are bold! I feel like getting the last few millers I need for my run will take a lifetime...or atleast until a few board members here decide to help!!!!

Pete, I swear, I'm still looking for another nadja for you!

Dan, I'm not sure if you saw the thread I started last year concerning harder e92 backs, but I could not find any evidence of the Tinker with blue crofts, red crofts, menagerie, prize fighter, or blank back. Not trying to say they don't exist, just that I couldn't find any trace of them

DJ

Bliggity
10-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Dan, I'm not sure if you saw the thread I started last year concerning harder e92 backs, but I could not find any evidence of the Tinker with blue crofts, red crofts, menagerie, prize fighter, or blank back. Not trying to say they don't exist, just that I couldn't find any trace of them

Well hell, my back run just got a lot easier!

This particular run wasn't that intentional. I collect all cards with E92 poses, so the runs kind of build themselves, very slowly. This one is just further along than the others.

Epps
10-25-2016, 06:25 PM

The D303 does picture Tinker, but is listed as Weaver. I believe that there is only one known

Bliggity
10-25-2016, 06:35 PM
The D303 does picture Tinker, but is listed as Weaver. I believe that there is only one known

I didn't realize that but just checked and you're right. D303 General Baking has the correct Tinker batting with maybe a dozen graded examples. D303 Mothers' Bread has the correct Tinker portrait, but the same Weaver/Tinker batting pose as Tango Eggs. And there's only one graded between PSA/SGC. Never knew that. Looks like the run just got harder again :D

ETA: Here's the one D303-2, scan from Old Judge:

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/D303%20Tinker_zpsrnhma5ai.jpg

x2drich2000
10-25-2016, 06:48 PM
I didn't realize that but just checked and you're right. D303 General Baking has the correct Tinker batting with maybe a dozen graded examples. D303 Mothers' Bread has the correct Tinker portrait, but the same Weaver/Tinker batting pose as Tango Eggs. And there's only one graded between PSA/SGC. Never knew that. Looks like the run just got harder again :D

Not to rain on your parade, but also don't forget the nadja and mello-mint aren't exactly a walk in the park. From memory, I believe there are either 2 or 3 e105 graded and maybe a half dozen nadjas.

DJ

Yoda
10-25-2016, 11:41 PM
Nice cards both Dan and Mike. The burned it looking WST(?) is cool on Dan's card. Here is my lone Tango Eggs card, the only ghost that I have seen from that set.

Imagine! Double Wahoo on one card.

Jobu
10-26-2016, 06:26 AM
It may be raining, but it's still a parade!

Not to rain on your parade, but also don't forget the nadja and mello-mint aren't exactly a walk in the park. From memory, I believe there are either 2 or 3 e105 graded and maybe a half dozen nadjas.

DJ

Leon
11-01-2016, 10:02 AM
It may be raining, but it's still a parade!

Is that akin to "a bad day at collecting is better than a good day at the office?" :)

Great cards.....

irishdenny
11-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Here's a Copy of the Lettar from the Original Find!
Seems there MiGHT Be a Mr. Tinker Out there Somewhere!?

And Yes, I do Believe THaT Mr. Cobb is "1/1"!!!
At Least THaT's WHaT the Lettar States...
I know THaT Bryan D.(aka: BCD)
Mention'd THaT He had one Sum Years Ago...

Maybe Jerry Could Confirm THaT His Mr. Cobb Came From BCD!?
If Not, Possibly 2 of'em!?

Griffins
11-03-2016, 11:38 AM
The Cobb didn't come from BcD, I know the provenance and it was a "find" a few years ago, not part of the original find outlined in the letter. Same with my Oakes and I suspect Jerry's Plank.
There are also 2 Morgans in existence, at the minimum.
I'd bet the set is complete at 48, but we'll never know for sure until they are all found, and that seems unlikely.

gabrinus
11-03-2016, 02:00 PM
I won the Cobb I believe from Goodwin a few years and I think that the Cobb originally came from a dealer in the New Orleans area(Metairie) who wouldn't say yes or no when I asked him...the Plank came from Goodwin as well I think....if I remember correctly BCD has also seen a few Cobb Nadjas;)

Griffins
11-03-2016, 05:44 PM
The Plank was REA April '12
The Cobb was Goodwin, I think April '10 or '11.

gabrinus
11-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Anthony, you are right about the Plank being from REA...my brain fails me sometime....thanks.......Jerry

Griffins
11-03-2016, 07:00 PM
I get that often as well, but seem to remember the ones that got away much clearer than the ones I won. Congrats on a couple of incredible rare cards.

Leon
11-04-2016, 07:04 AM
We always remember the bad more than the good. It's the "one that got away."

I get that often as well, but seem to remember the ones that got away much clearer than the ones I won. Congrats on a couple of incredible rare cards.

brass_rat
11-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Here's a Copy of the Lettar from the Original Find!
Seems there MiGHT Be a Mr. Tinker Out there Somewhere!?

Here's the front page from the August 1992 issue of The Old Judge. Note the last paragraph where it is mentioned that a Tango Cobb was presented at auction but didn't sell...

(Also interesting to note that the letter that Denny posted dates the find to 1993...guess they were off by a year.

Cheers,
Steve

Leon
11-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Who would know how rare Cobby would turn out to be?

Here's the front page from the August 1992 issue of The Old Judge. Note the last paragraph where it is mentioned that a Tango Cobb was presented at auction but didn't sell...

(Also interesting to note that the letter that Denny posted dates the find to 1993...guess they were off by a year.

Cheers,
Steve