PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article about Christie's re: Investing

Rich Klein
10-24-2016, 09:37 AM
http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2016/10/24/the-collectibles-market-more-than-a-labor-of-love?eNL=57f26fc8150ba0f124c12af0&utm_source=TA_PortfolioBuilder&utm_medium=EMC-Email_editorial&utm_campaign=10242016&page_all=1

I'm curious at to everyone's opinion about whether or not this is transferrable to the sports card/collectible market

Thanks!
Rich

Snapolit1
10-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Good article. I'd argue this is exactly why cards have gone up more consistently than photographs. A better feel for what the universe of items is and much better info on reported/comprable sales.

GasHouseGang
10-24-2016, 10:08 AM
One thing he said in the article, was one of my worries with baseball cards.

Rendell also provides some caveats. Pop memorabilia “may be interesting to the generation buying it but will it be interesting to generations down the line?” he cautions. “Baby boomers growing up in ‘50s and ‘60s now have disposable income and may buy things having to do with old childhood idols, but is it a long-term investment?”

Maybe we've transcended that problem since we are, in many cases, collecting players we've never actually seen play, but I used to worry the 50's and 60's cards might fall into this category.

brian1961
10-24-2016, 12:10 PM
It depends on the player and probably the team he played for.

I'm sure if we were to question some guys about their long-ago fears of their Ty Cobbs, Babe Ruths, Walter Johnsons, and Christy Mathewsons losing their value, all we'd hear would be their sad stories of how they virtually "gave the cards away" in the 70s and 80s.

True, paintings and huge exotic gemstones seem to fit a "timeless" category. Rolling Art just keeps rolling along. I dare say certain brands will continue to sell for boo coo. Then again, the venerable name of Duesenberg may not be advancing much, though the ultra beautiful and exotic 1936 Duesenberg Special set a record sales price in 2004 for an American car of $4.445 million. This figure has been broken by a 60s racing sports car. The rare automobile field has the essential information down to a science, with precise number of cars built, provenance, and sales history.

Honestly, these were some of the facets I tried to incorporate into my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. Absorbing provenance with juicy stories, along with re-telling and recreating the period in which these difficult post-war regional / food issues were collected.

---Brian Powell