PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Amazing Advertising Sign Pickup!

rhettyeakley
10-22-2016, 12:00 AM
It takes quite a bit for me to get REALLY excited about a new find but I was recently able to pick-up what I think is a unique and pretty incredible advertising sign.

First off the sign has some condition issues (broken on the corners) and appears to be slightly trimmed on the left side by about an inch or so as it only affects one letter on the bottom line of text (which is the most important of the sign as the "S" is missing from "Sporting". The overall sign measures 11" x 14".

Here is the sign... (Is is in a plastic sleeve which is what causes any glare you see... I apologize for the low quality scan as it doesn't fit on my scanner)
http://starsofthediamond.com/honestsignt227smaller.jpg

While it doesn't appear all that ground breaking upon first glance what we are looking at is actually an original advertising sign for the T227 Sports Champion set! That set is one of my absolute favorites and probably one of the most beautiful sets ever produced! The Honest brand was prominent in the 19th Century as one of the flagship Duke brands, but in the 20th Century they are mainly known for the T227 Champions Series, T219 Pugilist Series and one of the T205 brands.

Here is the Cobb from the set (not my card)...
http://starsofthediamond.com/t227cobbexample.jpg

The set states there are 25 subjects but in fact there have only been 24 confirmed. Of those 24 subjects there are 4 baseball players among swimmers, boxers, auto racers, runners, wrestlers, billiard players, etc.

I have been around the hobby for a long time and have never seen anything like this before. I am really excited about this pickup and I appreciate any comments, etc.

gnaz01
10-22-2016, 03:22 AM
Amazing pickup Rhett, congrats!!

edhans
10-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Beautiful Piece, Rhett. Congratulations.

Leon
10-22-2016, 07:16 AM
As a tobacconist person that is freaking great. Congrats.

h2oya311
10-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Congrats Rhett. As a former collegiate swimmer, I thought you were amped about the advertising of champion swimmers. I'm glad it was the connection to baseball and baseball cards that brought you back to normalcy.

Joe_G.
10-22-2016, 08:26 AM
That is an awesome piece Rhett! I find myself being drawn to the companion pieces to the sets we love to collect. You have helped fuel some of that appetite. Do you believe this piece was originally framed, a hanger, or meant for counter top display? I also like that it has a little color (red print).

clydepepper
10-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Rhett-

While my collection does not include advertising pieces, packaging and such, I am very impressed with your find and understand the draw that it has.

Though my opinion is that of someone not well versed in tobacco-card advertising pieces, I cannot imagine how anything in that area could possibly top this!

Congratulations!!