PDA

View Full Version : Babe and gehrig ball auto

esd10
10-19-2016, 05:19 PM
My brother bought this ball from ebay and when I saw the pics of the autos it scared the crap out if me but he can get his money back. I want a honest opinion from a pro who knows these auto very well. Thanks

mattjc1983
10-19-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure the signatures are clear enough in these pictures to tell. I can barely make out that there are signatures, period.

I assume they're more distinct in person, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetruthisoutthere
10-19-2016, 07:18 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Babe-Ruth-Lou-Gehrig-Signed-Baseball-Early-1930s-MLB-Baseball-History-/381817334399?hash=item58e6162a7f%3Ag%3A5kcAAOSw4sh X9eSI&nma=true&si=AfgPAo5xfFHnGaJFrGGXYlonqT0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jb217676
10-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Why would anyone buy that, even if it was real it is horrible to look at. I would rather own no Ruth signature than one that looks like that. I would have bought the nicest Ruth card for $650 instead of that junk.
Jeff

Bpm0014
10-20-2016, 07:00 AM
The Ruth is certainly no good. The "u" is wrong..... I know nothing about Gehrig.

esd10
10-20-2016, 08:13 AM
I do not know why he would buy this with out asking for a opinion first but he was hoping it was real I guess.

esd10
10-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Why would anyone buy that, even if it was real it is horrible to look at. I would rather own no Ruth signature than one that looks like that. I would have bought the nicest Ruth card for $650 instead of that junk.
Jeff

That's what I told him he could have a 20's strip card or kashin ruth for that money.

jb217676
10-20-2016, 11:11 AM
That's what I told him he could have a 20's strip card or kashin ruth for that money.

I was thinking a lower condition Ruth Exhibit would be nice too, maybe he can snag one with his refund?

xxdirtyjoexx
10-20-2016, 02:59 PM
I bought this ball. Normally I wouldn't buy something like this, but the guy guaranteed authenticity or my money back. So my thinking was along the lines of "why not?". If it is real, I have an Authentic Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig autograph baseball for $650 and the grading fee. If not, I won't be out much from the grading fee. The way I understand it, if PSA deems it fake, I get the ball back with a statement saying it is fake and also a partial refund/credit on the grading fee. I will then return the ball with the paperwork to the seller for a full refund.
I tried enhancing the autographs in the pics, but it is still hard to discern. I have seen that style "B" in some early Ruth Autos. Same with the exaggerated "L" in Lou. Someone stated the "U" is funky and I definitely agree. The "U" doesn't lean and seems to flow wrong between the "R" and "T". I am no expert either, but I tried to do comparisons against authentic autographs. Once I do have it in hand, I will get better pics in better light.
The ball itself seems authentic. I believe it is a Wilson Red/Black Stitch ball from the 1920s.
The story behind this ball is that it is from a storage locker of Don Lee. Lee was a former player and scout for several MLB teams including the San Diego Padres and New York Yankees. Granted a story is just that, a story, but this seller has several older MLB items from Lee. I knew it is a long shot, but IMO what did I have to lose?