PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else bid in Christie's today?

tazdmb
10-19-2016, 12:44 PM
I was the under bidder in the Foster and White lots. I thought there was some good bargains, including the Pompez and Huggins signatures.

RelicSports
10-19-2016, 05:19 PM
I won one of the 1910 Walter Johnson letters...I thought there was some good bargains to be had, and a lot of items that went well beyond what I thought they would...

jgmp123
10-19-2016, 06:19 PM
I was in it....really wanted to pull in some of the letters, but no luck this time.

dgo71
10-20-2016, 06:41 PM
I was the under bidder in the Foster and White lots. I thought there was some good bargains, including the Pompez and Huggins signatures.

The Biz Mackey and Andy Cooper signed pictures were absurdly cheap. Was authenticity in question there? It seems to me any signed image of those two players should have fetched far more than the price realized.

tazdmb
10-20-2016, 08:11 PM
The Biz Mackey and Andy Cooper signed pictures were absurdly cheap. Was authenticity in question there? It seems to me any signed image of those two players should have fetched far more than the price realized.

There are authenticity issues with these items, plus I saw pictures of these items, they are both tiny and the Mackey is quite faded.

dgo71
10-20-2016, 11:37 PM
There are authenticity issues with these items, plus I saw pictures of these items, they are both tiny and the Mackey is quite faded.

That makes sense then. Tiny pic and faded signature alone, the rarity could make one overlook those aspects, but I imagine it's hard to authenticate a printed name of guys whose autographs probably number in the low single digits. If real the winning bidders got them for a steal.

Klrdds
10-21-2016, 07:29 AM
I remember when they first came to auction in late 2006 or early 2007, I know they were both just elected or inducted into the HoF, and were separate lots from a grouping of small signed photos from a Japanese tour . The Mackey and Cooper sold then for a little over 7K each . People at that time questioned their authenticity even with COAs even though the other signatures in the other lots were deemed authentic.

judsonhamlin
10-21-2016, 08:19 AM
What was the consensus on the George Davis letter? Legit? Good price or too rare to figure what the market really is?

theshleps
10-21-2016, 08:36 AM
I have an Andy Cooper that I bought from Wayne Stivers (with COA from him) that matches the one in Kevins book. I am contemplating selling it. Any opinions here as to autenthicity and value248844

tazdmb
10-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Michael- This is my 2 cents after seeing Christy's auciton,

1) Submit it to PSA now that Kevin is lead authenticator
2) I would guesstimate, if passes PSA, around $7,500.

Based on strictly the sales from Christie's

Klrdds
10-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Michael- This is my 2 cents after seeing Christy's auciton,

1) Submit it to PSA now that Kevin is lead authenticator
2) I would guesstimate, if passes PSA, around $7,500.

Based on strictly the sales from Christie's

I agree 100% . Even though we all have our opinions concerning PSA and TPAs in general I believe that anybody buying the Cooper will want the "comfort " and "blessing " of PSA . However , with Grad gone the value and confidence of a PSA LOA has gone up immensely.
The value I feel is in the $7500 -$9,000 range tops. Even though he is rare it won't be reflected in its pricing.

theshleps
10-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Great advice. I will wait till spring as it is at a location I can't get to for alittle while. Have others I want them to look at too. Probably worth the $.

TakingStock
10-23-2016, 10:17 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the catalog(s) for this auction? If so, is there a link to purchase them? Thanks!

CW
10-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the catalog(s) for this auction? If so, is there a link to purchase them? Thanks!

They were previously available, but those links don't seem to be working now.

This page has catalogs for sale, but nothing from baseball. You might try calling them directly.

https://catalogues.christies.com/christies-shop/productlist.aspx?sId=28

tazdmb
10-23-2016, 04:06 PM
They were sold out at last check, they may reprint.

Augy44
10-23-2016, 07:36 PM
I purchased the Golden Age of Baseball Photography catalog from them and have it in hand. Beautifully assembled and nice hi res scans. I'd be willing to sell it for what I purchased it for if interested, $50 shipped PayPal FF to avoid fees. PM me if you'd like it!

Bryan