PDA

View Full Version : Saco River Auction 10-26-16 Up For Viewing

Saco River Auction
10-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Here is the link to our 10-26-16 Sale

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/94423_sports-cards-and-memorabilia-10-26-16

This is the last part of the collection we sold on 09-21-16 with some additions.

Anyone who would like to phone bid is encouraged to call 207-650-5677 or email info@sacoriverauction.com

autograf
10-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Sparse on detailed descriptions.......1959 Topps complete set identifies the (4) graded cards but nothing about the rest of the set and no other photos......

slidekellyslide
10-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Lot #30 the Ken Wel Lou Gehrig advertising piece is a repro or fantasy item.

Donscards
10-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Sparse on detailed descriptions.......1959 Topps complete set identifies the (4) graded cards but nothing about the rest of the set and no other photos......

Tom. You can call saco river for a description. I did see the set, it is overall excellent. Some stronger, and some vg.

autograf
10-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Agree but there are numerous others. I realize that this is an in person auction but they're not doing consignors any service with a lackluster description. I've bid on a few items almost entirely from the photos.....

Snapolit1
10-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Agree. They need a better platform. No other way to say it, this is weak.

That Gehrig piece of junk ad can be debunked with a 30 second internet search.

deeg23
10-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Agree. They need a better platform. No other way to say it, this is weak.

That Gehrig piece of junk ad can be debunked with a 30 second internet search.

That and the "1953" Old Gold Babe Ruth advertisement...

Gradedcardman
10-18-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm sure they appreciate the criticism. Let them work it out with the consignors and let's bid !!

Snapolit1
10-18-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm sure they appreciate the criticism. Let them work it out with the consignors and let's bid !!

If I owned a business I'd welcome criticism from knowledgeable people. It's probably the number 1 way businesses improve.

tiger8mush
10-18-2016, 07:37 PM
No excuse to not have scans of the single card lots instead of cell phone photos, a portion of which are blury (a T213-2 McGraw and '53 Jackie Robinson among others) and even a Maris resized dis-proportional to the cards dimensions.

A $150 CCD scanner (i.e. CanoScan 9000F) will pay for itself in less than one auction.

honus94566
10-19-2016, 10:57 AM
No excuse to not have scans of the single card lots instead of cell phone photos, a portion of which are blury (a T213-2 McGraw and '53 Jackie Robinson among others) and even a Maris resized dis-proportional to the cards dimensions.

A $150 CCD scanner (i.e. CanoScan 9000F) will pay for itself in less than one auction.

Seriously. They are running an auction and they don't have scans? WTF?

Saco River Auction
10-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Hello All,

I spent the last couple days thinking about the comments and I would like to thank all that commented. In business we are always evolving and trying to work in a way that makes our consignors happy and buyers happy. Based on the potential buyers comments, it is clear that we need to change a few things.
I personally strive to get everything right in both my personal life and business life, so now knowing that some things need to change, those changes will happen instantly. We will be scanning all sports cards in future sales (front and back) instead of photographing the cards.
We always try to give accurate descriptions based on our knowledge and what's in front of us. However, we deal with thousands of items per year of all types including estate items, furnishings, coins, jewelry, firearms and art. As you can probably tell, its an enormous job describing items correctly, because no one can be an expert in every category of items. All I can say is we do our best. We never want to sell reproduction items, unless we call them a that. We also cannot research every item that comes out of estates, as it would take us a year to get ready for a single auction. A great deal of the responsibility to verify the veracity of the description or authenticity of an item must lie with the buyers, simply because you all are the experts. Having said that...if we make a mistake and call something real, or old, or original and it is not, we will make it right with the buyer. I am not in the business of selling fake stuff, not will I ever be. I would rather close the business and pick up trash on the highway.

As always I am available to answer any questions or to listen to any concerns via my cell phone. I do not look at this site everyday, so there may be a delay in responding to questions on here, so I would encourage you to call me anytime 207-650-5677

I am sorry for the confusion caused and hope that all involved will continue to buy with confidence from Saco River Auction.

Sincerely,

Troy Thibodeau
Saco River Auction

Leon
10-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Thanks Troy. We are all human. We can always strive to be better and this post of yours is spot on. I wish all people in our hobby (and everywhere) who make a mistake would be so responsive and accountable. Take care, good luck in the auction and thanks again.

Hello All,

I spent the last couple days thinking about the comments and I would like to thank all that commented. In business we are always evolving and trying to work in a way that makes our consignors happy and buyers happy. Based on the potential buyers comments, it is clear that we need to change a few things.
I personally strive to get everything right in both my personal life and business life, so now knowing that some things need to change, those changes will happen instantly. We will be scanning all sports cards in future sales (front and back) instead of photographing the cards.
We always try to give accurate descriptions based on our knowledge and what's in front of us. However, we deal with thousands of items per year of all types including estate items, furnishings, coins, jewelry, firearms and art. As you can probably tell, its an enormous job describing items correctly, because no one can be an expert in every category of items. All I can say is we do our best. We never want to sell reproduction items, unless we call them a that. We also cannot research every item that comes out of estates, as it would take us a year to get ready for a single auction. A great deal of the responsibility to verify the veracity of the description or authenticity of an item must lie with the buyers, simply because you all are the experts. Having said that...if we make a mistake and call something real, or old, or original and it is not, we will make it right with the buyer. I am not in the business of selling fake stuff, not will I ever be. I would rather close the business and pick up trash on the highway.

As always I am available to answer any questions or to listen to any concerns via my cell phone. I do not look at this site everyday, so there may be a delay in responding to questions on here, so I would encourage you to call me anytime 207-650-5677

I am sorry for the confusion caused and hope that all involved will continue to buy with confidence from Saco River Auction.

Sincerely,

Troy Thibodeau
Saco River Auction

bigfish
10-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks Troy. We are all human. We can always strive to be better and this post of yours is spot on. I wish all people in our hobby (and everywhere) who make a mistake would be so responsive and accountable. Take care, good luck in the auction and thanks again.

I also applaud the transparency, honesty, and guarantee in saco's response.

Snapolit1
10-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Troy - thanks for the response. I know from these posts and some prior ones you are struggling to find the best platform for your business, and looking at all angles.

slidekellyslide
10-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Lot 30 Ken-Wel Gehrig piece still up without a proper description.

Donscards
10-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Lot 30 Ken-Wel Gehrig piece still up without a proper description.

Has anyone ever seen a real Ken Wel Gehrig? I believe they are all reprints. Saco River always mentions at the sit down auction if there is something wrong