PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Rookie card on Ebay

Babe3Ruth3
10-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Check out this Babe Ruth Rookie on Craigslist (I meant to say Craigslist and not Ebay) here: https://nh.craigslist.org/bar/5807412808.html

Maybe if we all flag this posting we can save someone from being ripped off.

HOF Auto Rookies
10-15-2016, 09:47 PM
That's a Craigslist ad, do you have the eBay link?

nhsportsguy
10-16-2016, 05:33 AM
This town is literally 10 minutss away, maybe I should go check it out. ;)

Leon
10-16-2016, 07:09 AM
This town is literally 10 minutss away, maybe I should go check it out. ;)

Save your time it's fake. The white part inside the black border is too large. Seller should have taken the 10.5k :)

maximus35
10-17-2016, 12:40 AM
Save your time it's fake. The white part inside the black border is too large. Seller should have taken the 10.5k :)

You mean this card is really fake? I spoke with the seller last night and was supposed to make a trade tomorrow. I was going to trade my Harley for it.

Babe3Ruth3
10-17-2016, 05:33 AM
You mean this card is really fake? I spoke with the seller last night and was supposed to make a trade tomorrow. I was going to trade my Harley for it.

I hope you were just being sarcastic. :eek:

Leon
10-17-2016, 06:54 AM

I am only 99% sure. There is still a chance :) ...

clydepepper
10-17-2016, 07:11 AM
Check out this Babe Ruth Rookie on Craigslist (I meant to say Craigslist and not Ebay) here: https://nh.craigslist.org/bar/5807412808.html

I know I probably miss out on a lot of really good deals, but I have always equated Craigslist with 'Don't Go There'.

maximus35
10-17-2016, 07:43 AM
I hope you were just being sarcastic. :eek:

LOL of course. After that huge California Craig's list scam several years ago I wouldn't buy a thing off Craig's list.

bravos4evr
10-17-2016, 01:20 PM
yep, it's a fake/reprint. The border is wrong , Babe's eyes are too dark and you don't see enough of his left foot. Go compare that photo with this real one :

http://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7295/t206-wagner-sells-651-750-babe-ruth-rookie-card-142-200-famous-doyle-hammered-down-414-countless-baseball-auction-records-set-rea

pbspelly
10-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Two questions:

I see lots of discussions about printing anomalies and varieties. How can you tell the difference between a fake card and a real card with a printing anomaly? For example, how do you know that there aren't any genuine Babe Ruth rookie cards that show a little bit less of the left foot and slightly darker eyes? Or that some cards weren't printed with a bit more white space. We know that centering can change from one genuine card to another, so why not stuff like borders and cropping? I'm not doubting that you are right, I'm just curious.

And second, if somebody was copying a real card to make a fake one, why wouldn't the copy it look exactly the same as the real one? Wouldn't a fake be done by photographing or scanning a real one?

Again, I'm not doubting that you're right or trying to defend this card as genuine. I'm just curious how this all works.

Beastmode
10-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Two questions:

I see lots of discussions about printing anomalies and varieties. How can you tell the difference between a fake card and a real card with a printing anomaly? For example, how do you know that there aren't any genuine Babe Ruth rookie cards that show a little bit less of the left foot and slightly darker eyes? Or that some cards weren't printed with a bit more white space. We know that centering can change from one genuine card to another, so why not stuff like borders and cropping? I'm not doubting that you are right, I'm just curious.

And second, if somebody was copying a real card to make a fake one, why wouldn't the copy it look exactly the same as the real one? Wouldn't a fake be done by photographing or scanning a real one?

Again, I'm not doubting that you're right or trying to defend this card as genuine. I'm just curious how this all works.

You don't even have to look at the card. Catch phrases like "...my grandfather gave it to me...." "....I think it's real but not 100% sure...". Hear these and run for the hills.

I'll translate this one for free: "...I know this card is worth a lot but just not sure exactly how much..." Translation: "looking for a dumbass with a lot of money who thinks he's getting a bargin"

EvilKing00
10-18-2016, 05:24 AM
You don't even have to look at the card. Catch phrases like "...my grandfather gave it to me...." "....I think it's real but not 100% sure...". Hear these and run for the hills.

I'll translate this one for free: "...I know this card is worth a lot but just not sure exactly how much..." Translation: "looking for a dumbass with a lot of money who thinks he's getting a bargin"

+1

Snapolit1
10-18-2016, 05:28 AM
Another glaring red light . . . guy won't show you the front of the card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lou-gehrig-baseball-card-/232110018513?cp=1&sojTags=bu%3Dbu&bu=43197447875&euid=0f9c197fb02446ee8863a94cfd8abacd&nma=true&si=u7SUHde2v%252FA7Q5IDkdHmwBrpHC8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Babe3Ruth3
10-18-2016, 09:21 AM
I wanted to see what this person would say if I told him I had a truck to trade and this was his response, "Hi Mark, do you have any pictures of the truck? Where are you located?
Thanks!
steve"

tschock
10-18-2016, 10:02 AM
I wanted to see what this person would say if I told him I had a truck to trade and this was his response, "Hi Mark, do you have any pictures of the truck? Where are you located?
Thanks!
steve"

Send him a picture of a dollar store plastic truck in response and tell him they are worth about the same. ;)

Babe3Ruth3
10-18-2016, 01:58 PM
send him a picture of a dollar store plastic truck in response and tell him they are worth about the same. ;)

LOL....I wonder how many people have responded? We should all E-mail him and that way he will have a larger selection to choose from. ;-)

Beastmode
10-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Send him a picture of a dollar store plastic truck in response and tell him they are worth about the same. ;)

++ that would be very funny. someone should do this

Leon
10-20-2016, 07:39 PM

There is close to 400 Babe Ruth Rookies on ebay right now..who needs Craigslist? :)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xbabe+r uth+rookie.TRS0&_nkw=babe+ruth+rookie&_sacat=0

Sean
10-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Wow, I had no idea that any card that features Babe Ruth is his rookie card. :rolleyes: