PDA

View Full Version : Mantle/Maris/DiMaggio/Williams Ball Opinion

quinnsryche
10-13-2016, 03:09 PM
I am sure I know the answer to this question but are ANY of these 5 sigs real? I just don't have enough experience with fakes to be sure. Any and all opinions pos or neg would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony

GrayGhost
10-13-2016, 03:22 PM
First Mantle looks pretty good, thats bout it IMO, other than Joe D possibly?

Klrdds
10-13-2016, 04:00 PM
FWIW I would not be comfortable with it.

Sophiedog
10-13-2016, 05:18 PM
I agree with Scott...1st Mantle looks good

quinnsryche
10-13-2016, 05:20 PM
Here's another question, feel free to chime in. Let's say the 1st Mantle is good. It's on a ball with the Maris which we will say is not. What do I do with the ball? Can I sell it with one good and one bad signature? I have never done that myself or have seen anyone do that either. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Bestdj777
10-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Here's another question, feel free to chime in. Let's say the 1st Mantle is good. It's on a ball with the Maris which we will say is not. What do I do with the ball? Can I sell it with one good and one bad signature? I have never done that myself or have seen anyone do that either. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

If one of them is fake, I can't imagine that the other would be real. To the extent the Mantle is good but the Maris is fake, I'd still be a buyer depending on price as I only collect Mantle anyway.

Steve D
10-13-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure about the first Mantle, but the other four, IMHO, are all bad.

On second thought, I also don't like the first Mantle. It just looks off to me.

Steve

thetruthisoutthere
10-14-2016, 05:59 AM
The first Mantle is definitely authentic.

RichardSimon
10-14-2016, 08:35 AM
The first Mantle is definitely authentic.

Agree but the rest of that ball is crap.

thetruthisoutthere
10-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Agree but the rest of that ball is crap.

Absolutely.

Mr. Zipper
10-14-2016, 11:04 AM
It's possible that for the Mantle Maris ball, someone brought a forged Maris signed ball to a show and added an authentic Mantle. Maybe didn't know the Maris was bad.

The second ball with Joe D, Williams and Mantle is all bad.

Darner
10-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Is this one ball or two? I thought the 'bad' DiMaggio was opposite the 'good' Mantle on the same piece of leather. If there's nothing opposite the Mantle, one could remove the Maris panel and have the ball restitched.

Darner
10-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Took a closer look and from the stampings I can see that they are different balls.

quinnsryche
10-14-2016, 01:06 PM
The good Mantle and the Maris are 1 ball, the other 3 are 1 ball. Thanks for the input, most appreciated.

Lordstan
10-14-2016, 02:30 PM
It's possible that for the Mantle Maris ball, someone brought a forged Maris signed ball to a show and added an authentic Mantle. Maybe didn't know the Maris was bad.

The second ball with Joe D, Williams and Mantle is all bad.

I agree with Steve. It's very possible the Maris was bought and Mantle added at a show later on.
The second ball is bad. Dimaggio and Williams look very slowly drawn and stretched out.

quinnsryche
10-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Good enough guys. I threw out the bad one and sold the one with the Maris to a board member who will display it as a Mantle only.
Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.