PDA

View Full Version : Auston Matthews!

irv
10-12-2016, 07:55 PM
4 goals in his NHL debut! A NHL new record.

Kid is going to be a good one!

Leafs just lost in O.T. but it still can't take away what a night he had! :)

chris6net
10-12-2016, 09:04 PM
He had an advantage in that he grew up in Arizona so he could play year round:D

Butch7999
10-12-2016, 11:32 PM
Not to take a thing away from Mathews, but technically speaking, not a record -- HOF'er Joe Malone, although long a star
in the NHL's pro predecessor, the NHA, potted five goals in his first NHL game, the very first NHL game ever (1917).
We'd bet there are other examples, given the tiny rosters and high level of scoring back then.
The NHL often thinks its history began when Bettman became league President.

D. Bergin
10-13-2016, 10:25 AM
....and if you saw the interviews at the end of the game, the kid blamed himself for the loss, because he blew his defensive assignment on the overtime goal, so he's got a good head on his shoulders to.

He almost looked embarrassed in the promotional pictures of him holding the four pucks, because his team lost the game.

Now if the Leafs could find somebody else to put the puck in the net.

irv
10-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Not to take a thing away from Mathews, but technically speaking, not a record -- HOF'er Joe Malone, although long a star
in the NHL's pro predecessor, the NHA, potted five goals in his first NHL game, the very first NHL game ever (1917).
We'd bet there are other examples, given the tiny rosters and high level of scoring back then.
The NHL often thinks its history began when Bettman became league President.

LOL. Glad it was before he came along, but yes, you're right, Matthew's 4 was the first in the modern era.

....and if you saw the interviews at the end of the game, the kid blamed himself for the loss, because he blew his defensive assignment on the overtime goal, so he's got a good head on his shoulders to.

He almost looked embarrassed in the promotional pictures of him holding the four pucks, because his team lost the game.

Now if the Leafs could find somebody else to put the puck in the net.

He is very mature, smart, and has a good head on his shoulders. Babcock says he acts more like a 27 yr old, not a 19 yr old.

Marner and Nylander, I thought looked really good last night too, especially Marner, but I see both turning out to be pretty good players too. They will just need a bit of time but I see these 3, plus Morgan Rielly really making a difference with the Leafs this year, at least I hope!:D
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/auston-matthews-first-goal-of-nhl-season-1.3802506

After the game, I searched E-Bay for Austen's RC only to find out it hasn't officially been released yet. I ended up purchasing some cards however just to have but these aren't official.
"2015 Auston Matthews Hot Shot Centres Teen USA Rookie Card RC" and a "Future Stars card" For a few bucks, I thought WTH. :D

nicknock-2013
10-15-2016, 06:27 AM
Talented young man, no question. Extremely quick on the puck, knows where to park in front of the net. My only word of advice to him which is hockey 101 would be play with your head up at all times, especially in cities like Philly.
The "Beard" awaits! Radko Gudas is a wanted man in more than half the NHL cities, a cheap shot back alley leg breaker who seems to have only one job with the Flyers, inflict fear into the hearts of talented fast skating forwards.
I know the NHL has changed quite a bit since the "old" days but this guy gets away with murder. He recently bug squashed the Rangers Jimmy Vesey and the consequences were minimal at best. Maple Leafs will be returned to their glory years in a few short seasons, there's way too much talent in the front office and behind the bench. IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

irv
10-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Talented young man, no question. Extremely quick on the puck, knows where to park in front of the net. My only word of advice to him which is hockey 101 would be play with your head up at all times, especially in cities like Philly.
The "Beard" awaits! Radko Gudas is a wanted man in more than half the NHL cities, a cheap shot back alley leg breaker who seems to have only one job with the Flyers, inflict fear into the hearts of talented fast skating forwards.
I know the NHL has changed quite a bit since the "old" days but this guy gets away with murder. He recently bug squashed the Rangers Jimmy Vesey and the consequences were minimal at best. Maple Leafs will be returned to their glory years in a few short seasons, there's way too much talent in the front office and behind the bench. IMHO.

I know of him and I agree, he is nothing but a cheap shot artist looking to take out top players in order to give his team a chance, just like the Broad street bullies back in the day! If they couldn't beat you with talent, they'd beat you physically into submission.

I wish Toronto had someone like Milan Lucic protecting Matthews, and especially Marner, due to his size, like he is doing in Edmonton for McDavid, but I assume that is what Matt Martin's role is for Toronto?

I don't know much about the guy, but I don't think he's Milan Lucic tough, but hopefully he has enough to make players like Gudas think twice about going after the Leafs star players?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGDuDdXz11M

jb217676
10-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Matt Martin will protect Auston!

nicknock-2013
10-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Bring back Colton Orr!! For as much as the league is trying to "clean up" the game talented players still need to be protected. Case in point Sid the Kid, too many head shots taken by an all-world talent. Because I'm a Ranger fan (masochist) I'll point to Jimmy Vesey, once the Rangers trade Dylan McIlrath, and they will because the coach has it in for him, Vesey will be fair game. Nobody on the Rangers to watch his back. Hockey is and always has been a game where intimidation matters. Every club needs a big boy to protect the play makers, just saying.

irv
10-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Bring back Colton Orr!! For as much as the league is trying to "clean up" the game talented players still need to be protected. Case in point Sid the Kid, too many head shots taken by an all-world talent. Because I'm a Ranger fan (masochist) I'll point to Jimmy Vesey, once the Rangers trade Dylan McIlrath, and they will because the coach has it in for him, Vesey will be fair game. Nobody on the Rangers to watch his back. Hockey is and always has been a game where intimidation matters. Every club needs a big boy to protect the play makers, just saying.

I couldn't agree more!

Marner with his first NHL goal tonight! This kid is also going to put up big numbers once he gets use to things, and of course keeps his head up and has someone watching his back also.

Finally, something to get excited about being a Leafs fan! :D

nicknock-2013
10-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Streaming the Leafs game on Kodi and watching Rangers-Blues on tv. My neck hurts

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

irv
10-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Streaming the Leafs game on Kodi and watching Rangers-Blues on tv. My neck hurts

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Great win for the Leafs. Glad to see Marner get the first one out of the way!

I know it's way early, but I like what I am seeing this year so far with the leafs! :D