PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed (and dealers too!)

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-12-2016, 06:57 PM
So we are now officially one month out from the First Annual Jim Thorpe Sports Card Show and Live Auction. We have 1/2 of the booths sold and a lot of people are telling me that isn't bad and I'll get a flood last minute. I have talked with countless dealers at the shows I have done as well as cold calling people within a 100 mile radius of the show. I have had flyers out everywhere including in the mailing of a local sports card auction.

I have also had a lot of board members here tell me what a great job I am doing in promoting the show. If compliments were dollars the show would be in the black!

Anyway what can I do to attract dealers with a month to go? I am trying to get SGC to come and do on site submissions as well as giving them the live autograph certification business for our three autograph guests. I am talking with one of the major auction houses too.

We're not rich but we've done or scheduled a couple of print ads in SGC and done a good amount of facebook advertising and Leon has been incredibly supportive here.

Our price is very reasonable for the type of show, $100 for a 10 x 10 booth we provide 2 8' tables and you are welcome to arrange and add whatever you want within your booth space.

The whole point behind the show is to correct what frustrates me as a dealer when I do shows. We also worked hard to pick a weekend that was free of major competition. So if you were in my shoes what ideas would you be trotting out with a month left to go?

Thanks!

swarmee
10-12-2016, 07:51 PM
1) How many message boards are you on? Publicize it on Blowout, Collectors Universe, Facebook, Craigslist, etc.

2) Have a blend of dealers: Pre-war, 50s-70s, Nonsports, Modern will all bring in different customers and have variety for collectors to consider.

3) Door prizes or drawings for spending money?

irv
10-12-2016, 07:58 PM
So we are now officially one month out from the First Annual Jim Thorpe Sports Card Show and Live Auction. We have 1/2 of the booths sold and a lot of people are telling me that isn't bad and I'll get a flood last minute. I have talked with countless dealers at the shows I have done as well as cold calling people within a 100 mile radius of the show. I have had flyers out everywhere including in the mailing of a local sports card auction.

I have also had a lot of board members here tell me what a great job I am doing in promoting the show. If compliments were dollars the show would be in the black!

Anyway what can I do to attract dealers with a month to go? I am trying to get SGC to come and do on site submissions as well as giving them the live autograph certification business for our three autograph guests. I am talking with one of the major auction houses too.

We're not rich but we've done or scheduled a couple of print ads in SGC and done a good amount of facebook advertising and Leon has been incredibly supportive here.

Our price is very reasonable for the type of show, $100 for a 10 x 10 booth we provide 2 8' tables and you are welcome to arrange and add whatever you want within your booth space.

The whole point behind the show is to correct what frustrates me as a dealer when I do shows. We also worked hard to pick a weekend that was free of major competition. So if you were in my shoes what ideas would you be trotting out with a month left to go?

Thanks!

I can't offer you any suggestions, but good luck with your show! :)

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks for those thoughts though my main concern is getting dealers in and those are primarily ideas for getting customers in.

I am on every online calendar I could find, we have a web page and a heavily promoted facebook page.

Having a blend of dealers - How do you do that? Lots of people say that, but it's not really something a promoter has the ability to control unless he's selling out with a waiting list and he can pick and choose. That being said we do actually have a decent mix, but that's luck not skill.

We are doing dealer bucks with the biggest drawing being done in the last hour to keep the show populated throughout the day.

pherbener
10-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Scott, I'm waiting to see what my son's hockey schedule looks like for that weekend and I might be in. I haven't set up at a show since 1994 so I'm sure it would be interesting! I love the idea and I like what you're doing.

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks Paul, I certainly hope his schedule permits, and don't forget that as a N54 member your price is only $90, something I forgot to mention in the OP. Also cool that your son plays hockey with two signing guests being hockey players. If you do the show I'll get you autographs gratis, personalized for your son.

swarmee
10-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Getting on those different platforms will get you different dealers. Blowout is mainly for modern collectors, while the PSA/CU boards are mainly for graded Registry set collectors. There are many weekend warriors that read those boards that will set up with inventory if you put your info out there.
Just make sure you post in the right sections (Blowout has a specific forum for upcoming shows).

Jantz
10-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Hi Scott,

I have a few ideas you can think about.

Offer door prizes to the customers. Albeit a small incentive, but its kinda cool to win something for free and shows that you appreciate customers coming to the show instead of sitting at home buying online.

Coupons are another incentive for customers. Hand out coupons to the dealers, if a customer spends say $200 or more with a dealer, the customer can present the coupon to the promoter for a prize. A type of reward for coming to the show.

Maybe offer something for the dealers as well. Enter all the dealer's names in a drawing and whomever's name gets drawn gets their table at half price or get there table for free at next year's show.

If you decide to go with door prizes or a coupon prize, make it something the customer will remember. No magnets, keychains or can koozies!

Hope this helps & wish I could attend.

Jantz

Snapolit1
10-13-2016, 06:55 AM
Not a dealer so no great ideas. Good luck with it.
I will say that there has been a wealth of east coast shows in the past and coming months. Atlantic City. White Plains numerous times. Hofstra University coming up soon. Parsippany show back. Philadelphia. Smaller shows regularly held in Jersey. I am sure dealers have to carefully choose where to appear.

I'm sure collectors in other parts of the country wish they had such problems.

drcy
10-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Many people plan ahead, while many people do things at the last minute.

I organized a group that had its first meeting last night. Some people joined a month ahead, while two people joined the day of. People do things differently. Keep the word out and you likely will get more new dealers.

PolarBear
10-13-2016, 12:43 PM
Change the name to: First Annual Mauch Chunk Sports Card Show and Live Auction.

That should shake things up.

slidekellyslide
10-13-2016, 01:32 PM
What is this thing you call a "card show"????

Sorry, I can't even recall the last time we had a card show in my town of nearly 300,000 people. :(

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Change the name to: First Annual Mauch Chunk Sports Card Show and Live Auction.

That should shake things up.

Ah, but east or west Mauch Chunk, that's the question.

mintacular
10-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Just so you know, the "directions" link appears to be broken, at least for me...

PolarBear
10-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Just so you know, the "directions" link appears to be broken, at least for me...

Take a right at Nesquehoning, you can't miss it.

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-13-2016, 08:52 PM

Thanks I appreciate the heads up. is it from a particular page or from all pages?

EDIT: It's fixed, thanks again for the heads up.

Leon
10-14-2016, 08:30 AM
If it wasn't a 2 day drive I would set up....but for a 1 day show it's going to have to be local dealers and customers... Oh to live in the PA area for card shows....that would be a wonderful thing!!

Thanks I appreciate the heads up. is it from a particular page or from all pages?

EDIT: It's fixed, thanks again for the heads up.

KCRfan1
10-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Good Luck with the show and set up!

I can't speak for the dealer side, only as one who attends and will buy.

We have a small show that sets up in the KC area every month or two. I try to support it as a buyer and attendee, as my schedule permits.

That's the key for me. If I can get to it I do, because I know that if the shows are not supported, they will stop setting up.

Like any other business. If it isn't supported, the business goes away.

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-14-2016, 01:54 PM
If it wasn't a 2 day drive I would set up....but for a 1 day show it's going to have to be local dealers and customers... Oh to live in the PA area for card shows....that would be a wonderful thing!!

True, and it is our ultimate goal to expand to multiple days. The only good thing I have going form me is being in the middle of the East Coast corridor. Over 20 million people within a 3 hour drive.

Yoda
10-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Any chance you could get PSA to at least set up for submissions if not onsite grading. I think just their name would bring in a flood of enthusiasts.

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-14-2016, 09:25 PM
working like hell to get SGC for submissions and live autograph certification, but they're not being very responsive. There are still a couple SGC guys who are local. With PSA being in CA I figured it was a weak shot at best, but maybe I'll try.

Yoda
10-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Take a right at Nesquehoning, you can't miss it.

Turn a right at where?