PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Babe Ruth autographs

Steve D
10-07-2016, 05:19 PM
I've been wondering for several years now about this; hopefully, someone here can help.

Are there any known authentic Babe Ruth autographs, where he wrote a normal, lower-case "e" in Babe? Every autograph I've seen over the years has had an upper-case "E".

The reason I ask this, is that back in the early 1980s, I bought a Babe Ruth signed baseball, along with a 1971 Chicago Cubs team-signed baseball, from an older gentleman who had placed an ad in the Sunday newspaper classifieds. I sold both baseballs in 1991 or so, and made a tidy profit; but have wondered for several years now about the Ruth autograph's authenticity.

Edited to add:

The Ruth ball was an official American League William Harridge baseball.

Steve

steve B
10-08-2016, 04:47 PM
I've been wondering for several years now about this; hopefully, someone here can help.

Are there any known authentic Babe Ruth autographs, where he wrote a normal, lower-case "e" in Babe? Every autograph I've seen over the years has had an upper-case "E".

The reason I ask this, is that back in the early 1980s, I bought a Babe Ruth signed baseball, along with a 1971 Chicago Cubs team-signed baseball, from an older gentleman who had placed an ad in the Sunday newspaper classifieds. I sold both baseballs in 1991 or so, and made a tidy profit; but have wondered for several years now about the Ruth autograph's authenticity.

Edited to add:

The Ruth ball was an official American League William Harridge baseball.

Steve

Cursive has a few different "systems" or "methods" and some have slightly different letter formations. I don't know for sure, but it's possible the system he learned used a similar form for both upper and lower case E.

A hockey postcard I picked up confused me a bit with that as the guy used the same sort of E but was a bit sloppy so to me it looked more like an N or R.

Steve B

Bpm0014
10-09-2016, 01:36 AM
One that I know of yes. I don't recall the particulars but I'm almost positive it had a COA from a major company.