PDA

View Full Version : Rea

gnaz01
10-06-2016, 07:50 AM
Interactive catalog is up.........WOW!!!:eek:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/about/catalog.php

Leon
10-06-2016, 07:53 AM
That is one of the coolest online catalogs I have seen. Kudo's to whoever is doing their IT hosting and s/w.

scooter729
10-06-2016, 08:08 AM
I scanned a few areas and found quite a number of things which will have me bidding strongly - really looking forward to this auction already and I only saw about 5% of the listings!

Jason
10-06-2016, 08:18 AM
That almost spoils getting the actual catalog that was very well done. Great job Brian and staff im looking forward to this auction. I would be happy to pick up one of the lots I want but here is to hoping for multiple wins!

rjackson44
10-06-2016, 08:32 AM
ahhhhh!!!!!!wow

Beastmode
10-06-2016, 09:09 AM
REA tweaks their bidding methods (never-ending auctions) and goes green on their catalog. Both long overdue. PWCC must be lighting a fire under their ass.

Joshwesley
10-06-2016, 09:13 AM
That joe Jackson Boston garter 😳😳

Vintagecatcher
10-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Beautiful killer selection. See a few cards I'd love to pick up, but never have been successful with REA. Good time to change that run of luck!

Patrick

Jay Wolt
10-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Brian that interactive catalog is fantastic
Good Luck on your auction

Baseball Bob
10-06-2016, 09:38 AM
With such a gigantic volume of offerings one has to wonder whether we have reached a market top. Looks like people are trying to capture gains here. The realizations will be very interesting.

Mdmtx
10-06-2016, 09:44 AM
REA dropped the mic... wow

Snapolit1
10-06-2016, 10:47 AM
This is going to hurt the bank account.

philliesphan
10-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Absolutely amazing!!!

Although I didn't see a single Zeenut card throughout the catalog.

From a UX perspective, this was the most fun online catalogue experiences I've ever had in the hobby.

m

vintagesportscollector
10-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Love the interactive catalog - makes it easy to flip thru while reading in bed. I'll add that Lelands has a nice auction offering now too, especially memorabilia, and while I find their new "Landscape" catalog cool and unique, I found it impossible to read in bed.:p - too hard to flip thru unless I'm sitting at a table.

Snapolit1
10-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Open for bidding.

T206Collector
10-06-2016, 12:59 PM
I have mixed emotions - one the one hand, no signed pre-war cards. On the other hand, I don't have to break my budget!

scooter729
10-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Open for bidding.

And there goes my productivity at work for the rest of the afternoon.....

bwbc917
10-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Love going thru the REA. I have learned that my budget will allow only 1 purchase by the time the bidding stops. I have 2 cards on my radar and have bid on one of them. We'll see what happens, maybe I'll get lucky and get both.

Manny Trillo
10-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Fun! Hopefully they're not crooked like Mastro was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Manny Trillo
10-06-2016, 02:24 PM
That is one of the coolest online catalogs I have seen. Kudo's to whoever is doing their IT hosting and s/w.
Agreed! Clear, simple interface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

tribefan
10-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Got my bidding done. Probably won't win any, but it's fun to watch.

Republicaninmass
10-06-2016, 02:42 PM
I have mixed emotions - one the one hand, no signed pre-war cards. On the other hand, I don't have to break my budget!

What is this budget you speak of?

No signed 52s I need...thankfully

pawpawdiv9
10-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Got my bidding done. Probably won't win any, but it's fun to watch.

I literally must of spent the last hour or so, going thru the auction.
The 1 item I saw and wanted..well is past my limit. But I do have 1 bid on something for now.
I had a notebook next to me, and man'''' it looks like chicken scribble now that I just went thru REA. Almost looks like a early Xmas checklist.

Hot Springs Bathers
10-06-2016, 02:44 PM
I don't know if this speaks to my age or the age of my computer here at work but my system can't handle to adobe download to get the new catalog! I'll have to wait until I get home tonight!

T206Collector
10-06-2016, 04:57 PM
What is this budget you speak of

The monthly one I exceeded months ago! :eek:

ullmandds
10-06-2016, 05:32 PM
i love the format...nice Brian.

CMIZ5290
10-06-2016, 06:30 PM
With such a gigantic volume of offerings one has to wonder whether we have reached a market top. Looks like people are trying to capture gains here. The realizations will be very interesting.

Keep in mind Bob, this is the Fall catalog. The Spring is known for higher prices.....Brian and the guys do great work....

Jewish-collector
10-06-2016, 07:05 PM
As mentioned, this is the weaker of their two auctions. :eek:
Remember to add a few extra zeroes before the decimal point to your bids because sometimes you gotta say WTF. :D

clydepepper
10-06-2016, 09:16 PM
As amazing as this is, I already miss the hard copy.

I cannot believe I now say things my grandfather used to say.

Rich Klein
10-07-2016, 08:58 AM
IIRC, Catalogs are being mailed out today -- so hard copies will come real soon. I call it my Holiday Wish List Book

Rich

bwbc917
10-08-2016, 08:41 AM
As the price goes up and up on the Addie Joss Day panorama I find myself appreciating the print I have more and more. Not the original, but still a beautiful piece at a reasonable price.

Jdoggs
10-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Babe Ruth sporting news rookie sgc 40(3) already at $168k in REA which is almost 6 times SMR as SMR for PSA 3 is $29.5k!

smotan_02
10-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Incredible items. They just need to fix the spelling of "Descripion" in their search bar.

mechanicalman
10-08-2016, 02:31 PM
For the multiple card T206 lots, is anyone else having trouble seeing images of all the cards? Not sure if they are there and I can't see them or if they're just not there (which would seem like a miss.)

brianp-beme
10-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Many of the lots (T206 and others) that I was looking out only have one scan showing just a portion of the cards included in the lot. Definitely more scans would be a huge improvement.

Brian

JustinD
10-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Damn, I wish I was not currently in the sellers market for my sons 16th birthday next month ( time for a starter car ) and was able to go all in on that whitney cabinet.

Unfortunately, I am not looking to start that arguement for both with the wife. :(

spaidly
10-10-2016, 08:09 AM
The catalog works wonderfully on my iPad. I like taking screen shots and making them my wall paper. Uncut sheets work great.
Scott

spacktrack
10-10-2016, 05:00 PM
We're actively adding dozens of new scans to lots every day, but if there's something that you're interested in seeing, please feel free to email us (consign@robertedwardauctions.com) and we'll make sure that it's prioritized for you.

Brian

Sean
10-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Just got my catalogue today. :)

Mdmtx
10-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Just got my catalogue today. :)

Our mail doesn't come on Columbus Day. Hopefully tomorrow ...

gnaz01
10-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Our mail doesn't come on Columbus Day. Hopefully tomorrow ...

Probably sent FedEx or UPS (unless Sean was just messing with us) :D

Snapolit1
10-11-2016, 07:46 AM
Checking recent bids this morning, saw that this Yoo Hoo Mickey Mantle card went from $2,250 to $25,000 this am. Wow. I'd be yelling Yoo Hoo if I was the consigner. Wonder if it runs much higher.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=41912

edjs
10-11-2016, 09:40 AM

I got my catalogue last Thursday.

Sean
10-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Seriously, it came USPS. I ask the carrier, because I thought they didn't deliver on Columbus Day. He said they deliver certain things, like packages from Amazon, so they don't get overwhelmed on Tuesday.

It was a surprise to me as well.

njdunkin1
10-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Mine came in today, first catologue and auction I have participated in. And gee whiz, those are some beauties.

tennisguy
10-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Got my Catalog yesterday. Did anyone else have a problem with pages falling out? Pages were just falling out of it.

spacktrack
10-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Ryan, you're the second person to report this out of thousands that have received the catalog already, so unfortunately, it appears there may have been a few copies that came off the press before all the binding glue dried. I have communicated with the printer already (just one instance of this happening is too many for me) and they're looking into the process on their end. It goes without saying that we'll get you a new copy out immediately.

If anyone else should experience this, please email me (bdwyer@robertedwardauctions.com) and I'll get you a new copy.

Thank you,

Brian

mechanicalman
10-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Brian - do you have an ETA on when all of the pics for the multiple card lots should be up? I'm personally interested in T202 and T206 lots (and I'm sure I'm one of many), but I don't feel great putting in bids on stuff I can't see.

spacktrack
10-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Hi Sam,

Dozens of lots are updated every day, with a focus on the multi-card lots like you described. I know a bunch of T206 graded card lots were updated yesterday, so depending on when or what you checked, they may already be there. I'll prioritize the T202 and T206 lots, but if you want to PM or email me a list of specific lots, we can hit those sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

Brian

gnaz01
10-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Got my catalog today, and it is almost as big as the Spring auction........

sgbernard
10-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Catalog arrived in Canada today! Exciting stuff as always!

Mdmtx
10-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Catalog arrived in Canada today! Exciting stuff as always!

Mine is still mia. Maybe Texas seceded and we don't get usps any longer. :D

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Mine is still mia. Maybe Texas seceded and we don't get usps any longer. :D

Mine only arrived in PA today so don't give up hope.

Snapolit1
10-14-2016, 06:43 AM
I like the catalog as much as they next guy, but what a collosal waste of paper. Sure most of us already have our bids in and have since last week. I leafed through if for 20 minutes and moved it into the recycling bin. It's a beautiful thing but unnecessary. Maybe some of these companies should at least give customers the option to go paperless.

Rich Klein
10-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Catalog arrived yesterday. More auction houses should be sending out catalogs -- in a way it's advertising budget especially when the materials are high end

Rich

Harford20
10-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Mine is still mia. Maybe Texas seceded and we don't get usps any longer.

Mark, maybe it is just you. Mine arrived in San Antonio yesterday (although was FedEx).

Dave

Jobu
10-14-2016, 09:32 AM
+ 1 -- great catalog, great AH, etc - but I would prefer to be paperless as well.

I like the catalog as much as they next guy, but what a collosal waste of paper. Sure most of us already have our bids in and have since last week. I leafed through if for 20 minutes and moved it into the recycling bin. It's a beautiful thing but unnecessary. Maybe some of these companies should at least give customers the option to go paperless.

pawpawdiv9
10-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Checking recent bids this morning, saw that this Yoo Hoo Mickey Mantle card went from $2,250 to $25,000 this am. Wow. I'd be yelling Yoo Hoo if I was the consigner. Wonder if it runs much higher.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=41912

I is a underbidder on the Yoo-hoo...I gotta say, I had no idea this would fetch this much. CRAZY!!!!!!!
No way it grabs more than the 53 Yamakastu card tha B&Luckey sold last yr for 8k. This is CRAZY!!!!
http://brockelmanauctions.com/1953_Yamakatsu_Mickey_Mantle_B___W_Major_Leagues_S-LOT6647.aspx

Forgot to add: I got my REA catalog yesterday, and my Goldin catalog this a.m.

Bestdj777
10-14-2016, 09:56 AM
I is a underbidder on the Yoo-hoo...I gotta say, I had no idea this would fetch this much. CRAZY!!!!!!!
No way it grabs more than the 53 Yamakastu card tha B&Luckey sold last yr for 8k. This is CRAZY!!!!
http://brockelmanauctions.com/1953_Yamakatsu_Mickey_Mantle_B___W_Major_Leagues_S-LOT6647.aspx

Forgot to add: I got my REA catalog yesterday, and my Goldin catalog this a.m.

The Yoo Hoo is a much more desirable card. I was the underbidder on the Yamakatsu. If I was confident I could have moved my 52 Topps Mantles at more than fire sale prices, I would have gone all in on it.

brian1961
10-14-2016, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=pawpawdiv9;1593659]I is a underbidder on the Yoo-hoo...I gotta say, I had no idea this would fetch this much. CRAZY!!!!!!!

Well, Chris, while I did not specifically write about the 1959 Yoo-Hoo Chocolate Drink Mickey Mantle, I wrote lovingly about these kinds of pieces in my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. The Yoo-Hoo falls into the category of a sleeper that sharp and elite Mantle collectors quietly crave and would be on the watch for, should one surface. This kind of Mantle does not get talked about very much, if at all. Those who ravenously want it do not wish to call attention to it, or create more rivals for this ultra rare card.

I for one wish I knew the heritage of it, but again, in my years and years and years of gleaning Sports Collectors Digest issues, and what I had of The Trader Speaks---nothing. Nothing, that is, except for a FULL-PAGE ad in SCD offering a similar 1959 YOO-HOO Mickey Mantle. Somewhere I have the ad, for I tended to retain those kinds of sweet ads. I do not recall if that specimen had the white tab or not, but I do remember the asking price.

$25,000.

Being the mid-1990s, it was ungraded, of course. The asking price speaks volumes, though, doesn't it?

Ridiculously high, most would say. Visionary dealer, perhaps. I called the chap, and he certainly seemed in his right mind. HE KNEW WHAT HE HAD, AND HE KNEW HOW RARE IT WAS, AND HE CERTAINLY WAS ASTUTE ENOUGH NOT TO BE TALKED DOWN ON A MICKEY MANTLE CARD THIS ELEGANT, OR OF THIS CALIBER (DISTINCTION, MERIT), AND OH SO RARE.

As an aside, there was a nice hard-cover picture book about collecting New York Yankee items (by David Mendel ?) 15-20 years ago, with a montage style cover. One prominent item captured my eye---a beautiful shot of the Yoo-Hoo advertising placard showing a colorized photo of Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle at a Yoo-Hoo cooler. Mick's got this comical look on his face as he has the Yoo-Hoo bottle in his mouth, appearing as if he's ready to spit it out laughing! I bought the book SOLELY for that cover photo. Former ESPN columnist Bill Simmons made many crass comments of this image of Mantle and Berra. It always cracked him up.

The distinctive feature with the Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle which Robert Edward Auctions is currently offering is it still retains the little half-inch to 5/8" white "tab" at the bottom of the card. I maintain the cards were printed as a promotion for a 1959 public appearance by Mr. Mantle at the Yoo-Hoo main production plant in New Jersey. My best guess is that Mick did not show up, and the kiddies were sorely disappointed. No one, but a very few youngsters, bothered to accept or keep the card given for the intended autograph request. What other explanation could there possibly be for that white "tab" area, other than an autograph?

Since Yogi Berra is sadly now deceased, he could not be asked what he remembered about the Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle cards. That was so long ago, he probably would not have any knowledge of them, if he ever had any. His connection to the Yoo-Hoo company was important, but probably not on a day-to-day basis, except perhaps after the baseball season.

Checking any local or major area New Jersey newspapers just occurred to me, but you would probably need to track down where the Yoo-Hoo plant was located at this time (find a Yoo-Hoo bottle from back then, as the address is printed on the back of the bottle), then go to a good area library. You won't be able to do an inter-library loan on microfilm, guys. Too many jerks stole reels of the microfilm, and libraries now will not let them out of their doors, period.

My point is that by researching microfilm from local or major newspapers in the vicinity of the Yoo-Hoo facility, one could look for any details of an announced appearance of Mickey at the Yoo-Hoo bottling plant in 1959. Check any mention of details of any kind.

Long shot, I know. Sometimes those long shots pay off.

In the mean time, that 1959 Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle is one swell dream card. Man, I'd love to own it.

This prime piece will probably sit at $25,000 for a while, but I imagine there will be fireworks over the course of the last day and into the wee hours of the morn.;) ---Brian Powell

Jobu
10-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Awesome post Brian. Thank you!

Jay Wolt
10-14-2016, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=pawpawdiv9;1593659]

Checking any local or major area New Jersey newspapers just occurred to me, but you would probably need to track down where the Yoo-Hoo plant was located at this time (find a Yoo-Hoo bottle from back then, as the address is printed on the back of the bottle)
If memory serves, I believe it was in Carlstadt NJ

clydepepper
10-14-2016, 05:34 PM
My catalog arrived today...fairly awesome - an odd word pairing I admit, but I was looking for another monster Wagner.

I do understand, however, that the scarcity of that card is the reason for it's draw and it's unrealistic to expect it to show up every time.

Another Great REA Offering!!

skybar
10-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Been trying to stay dormant...damn, you giant gorgeous catalog! Three bids in...if I win - there goes Christmas!!

Leon
10-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Been trying to stay dormant...damn, you giant gorgeous catalog! Three bids in...if I win - there goes Christmas!!

With an auction like this good luck on dormancy :)>

Mdmtx
10-15-2016, 02:24 PM
I got my catalog box today. The printer shipped me an actual empty priority mail box. Absolutely no sign that it was ever opened. I bet they charged rea for that high level service though.

Mark

boneheadandrube
10-15-2016, 04:30 PM
I got my catalog box today. The printer shipped me an actual empty priority mail box. Absolutely no sign that it was ever opened. I bet they charged rea for that high level service though.

Mark

Maybe they sent you the virtual catalog? Its interactive now you know...;)

brian1961
11-01-2016, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=pawpawdiv9;1593659]I is a underbidder on the Yoo-hoo...I gotta say, I had no idea this would fetch this much. CRAZY!!!!!!!

Well, Chris, while I did not specifically write about the 1959 Yoo-Hoo Chocolate Drink Mickey Mantle, I wrote lovingly about these kinds of pieces in my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. The Yoo-Hoo falls into the category of a sleeper that sharp and elite Mantle collectors quietly crave and would be on the watch for, should one surface. This kind of Mantle does not get talked about very much, if at all. Those who ravenously want it do not wish to call attention to it, or create more rivals for this ultra rare card.

I for one wish I knew the heritage of it, but again, in my years and years and years of gleaning Sports Collectors Digest issues, and what I had of The Trader Speaks---nothing. Nothing, that is, except for a FULL-PAGE ad in SCD offering a similar 1959 YOO-HOO Mickey Mantle. Somewhere I have the ad, for I tended to retain those kinds of sweet ads. I do not recall if that specimen had the white tab or not, but I do remember the asking price.

$25,000.

Being the mid-1990s, it was ungraded, of course. The asking price speaks volumes, though, doesn't it?

Ridiculously high, most would say. Visionary dealer, perhaps. I called the chap, and he certainly seemed in his right mind. HE KNEW WHAT HE HAD, AND HE KNEW HOW RARE IT WAS, AND HE CERTAINLY WAS ASTUTE ENOUGH NOT TO BE TALKED DOWN ON A MICKEY MANTLE CARD THIS ELEGANT, OR OF THIS CALIBER (DISTINCTION, MERIT), AND OH SO RARE.

As an aside, there was a nice hard-cover picture book about collecting New York Yankee items (by David Mendel ?) 15-20 years ago, with a montage style cover. One prominent item captured my eye---a beautiful shot of the Yoo-Hoo advertising placard showing a colorized photo of Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle at a Yoo-Hoo cooler. Mick's got this comical look on his face as he has the Yoo-Hoo bottle in his mouth, appearing as if he's ready to spit it out laughing! I bought the book SOLELY for that cover photo. Former ESPN columnist Bill Simmons made many crass comments of this image of Mantle and Berra. It always cracked him up.

The distinctive feature with the Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle which Robert Edward Auctions is currently offering is it still retains the little half-inch to 5/8" white "tab" at the bottom of the card. I maintain the cards were printed as a promotion for a 1959 public appearance by Mr. Mantle at the Yoo-Hoo main production plant in New Jersey. My best guess is that Mick did not show up, and the kiddies were sorely disappointed. No one, but a very few youngsters, bothered to accept or keep the card given for the intended autograph request. What other explanation could there possibly be for that white "tab" area, other than an autograph?

Since Yogi Berra is sadly now deceased, he could not be asked what he remembered about the Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle cards. That was so long ago, he probably would not have any knowledge of them, if he ever had any. His connection to the Yoo-Hoo company was important, but probably not on a day-to-day basis, except perhaps after the baseball season.

Checking any local or major area New Jersey newspapers just occurred to me, but you would probably need to track down where the Yoo-Hoo plant was located at this time (find a Yoo-Hoo bottle from back then, as the address is printed on the back of the bottle), then go to a good area library. You won't be able to do an inter-library loan on microfilm, guys. Too many jerks stole reels of the microfilm, and libraries now will not let them out of their doors, period.

My point is that by researching microfilm from local or major newspapers in the vicinity of the Yoo-Hoo facility, one could look for any details of an announced appearance of Mickey at the Yoo-Hoo bottling plant in 1959. Check any mention of details of any kind.

Long shot, I know. Sometimes those long shots pay off.

In the mean time, that 1959 Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle is one swell dream card. Man, I'd love to own it.

This prime piece will probably sit at $25,000 for a while, but I imagine there will be fireworks over the course of the last day and into the wee hours of the morn.;) ---Brian Powell

Well, I was mistaken about the fireworks display I prognosticated on this rare Mickey Mantle. It seems someone did put in a bid beyond 25K on the last day--but it was immediately topped. I imagine the gentleman decided it was futile, and simply did not want to continue.

With the buyer's premium, the final bill was $36,000, still an impressive sum for a tough Mickey Mantle baseball card. It just falls considerably short of where a high grade centered PSA '52/'53 Topps or '51 Bowman would hammer for now.

I said it before, the 1959 Yoo Hoo Chocolate Drink Mantle is an awesome card. I wish I owned one. I hope its story will be told some day, too, but I fear that time has now passed. The REA write-up was puzzling, for so very little was told about the card. Guess if you don't know anything, you won't say anything. The connection, however brief, between Yoo Hoo and Mantle, is definite, though. With that comical ad photo, and his image on the caps, there is some provenance, enough of which so a few collectors bid it up to 25K on the opening day. Closing at $36K is still substantial.

'Nuf said. ---Brian Powell