PDA

View Full Version : New Member Back to Collecting

Nunzio11
10-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I wanted to drop a quick intro and greeting to everyone. My name is Tony, mid 40's, live in Baltimore.

Like many, I was an avid collector growing up in NY. When not playing baseball much of my childhood was spent in hobby shops, stationary stores and card shows in the early 80's. Most of that collection has died off in moves, college parties and parents downsizing. I haven't purchased a single card in about 25 years.

All that changed this summer as I hit an unexpected home run at of all places a neighborhood yard sale. I was lucky enough to come into a large stack of baseball cards all between 1961 and 1965. Since that day cards have become the obsession they were when I was kid.

A lot has changed since I was younger (didn't even know eBay was the place to go for collectors). I jumped right into the auction process and have been learning by trial and error. I've spent much more money than expected and have had to tell myself I can't replace my memories and entire collection in 3 months on eBay (my wife would kill me).

I've been reading the forum for a couple months and want to thank everyone for their knowledge, expertise and professionalism. I hope I can add to it even if in a small way.

Happy to join the group,

Tony

irv
10-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I wanted to drop a quick intro and greeting to everyone. My name is Tony, mid 40's, live in Baltimore.

Like many, I was an avid collector growing up in NY. When not playing baseball much of my childhood was spent in hobby shops, stationary stores and card shows in the early 80's. Most of that collection has died off in moves, college parties and parents downsizing. I haven't purchased a single card in about 25 years.

All that changed this summer as I hit an unexpected home run at of all places a neighborhood yard sale. I was lucky enough to come into a large stack of baseball cards all between 1961 and 1965. Since that day cards have become the obsession they were when I was kid.

A lot has changed since I was younger (didn't even know eBay was the place to go for collectors). I jumped right into the auction process and have been learning by trial and error. I've spent much more money than expected and have had to tell myself I can't replace my memories and entire collection in 3 months on eBay (my wife would kill me).

I've been reading the forum for a couple months and want to thank everyone for their knowledge, expertise and professionalism. I hope I can add to it even if in a small way.

Happy to join the group,

Tony

Welcome to the site, Tony!

I can relate to the bold! This place has created a monster since I found out forums like this existed. :eek:

I even purchased my wife a couple 1959 Elvis Presley cards hoping it would take some heat off of me, but I don't think it worked, sadly. :(

Nunzio11
10-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks Irv.

I've had to greatly narrow my focus partly because of the money, but more so I don't catch so much grief when I get home from work and there's a stack of deliveries waiting for me...haha

Stonepony
10-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Welcome Tony, this a great place to share and learn!

T206Collector
10-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Welcome -- I too am in my mid-40s, and was an avid collector growing up in NY. You'll fit right in!

spaidly
10-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Welcome! This place and the people are cool as they come. :cool:

Zach Wheat
10-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Hey welcome....a lot of smart & informed guys on this site. I hope to one of them some day.

Enjoy the ride...

Z

Rookiemonster
10-04-2016, 03:35 PM
What ? Your not a lurker ? Well welcome anyway

divecchia
10-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Welcome, Tony.

Donato

ls7plus
10-04-2016, 05:05 PM
A truly hearty welcome, Tony. It is nice to see that our collector group is getting younger. I've been at it for more than 25 years and can always appreciate (though not necessarily agree with) another perspective. This is a terrific place to get rather difficult collecting questions answered, and Leon goes above and beyond the call of duty in his capacity re the forum.

May your collecting bring you joy,

Larry

irv
10-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Thanks Irv.

I've had to greatly narrow my focus partly because of the money, but more so I don't catch so much grief when I get home from work and there's a stack of deliveries waiting for me...haha

LOL. Just last night my wife yelled downstairs to inform me, while I was on here, what I had spent the last month on baseball cards!

I knew the bill was going to be high but I didn't expect her to loudly vocalize what I had spent recently in front of my son! :o

I told her, which is true, that that was the reason I chose to work 3 overtime shifts last month.

She surprisingly wasn't overly upset, but I know myself I need to slow down and spend more wisely/carefully, especially with Christmas coming up, among other things. :(

nat
10-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Glad to have you around Tony. Good work with the finding those cards. My best find at a Charm City yard sale was a 1991 Don Mattingly.

Shoebox
10-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the board!

KingFisk
10-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Welcome Tony! As far as spending money goes, just remember that PayPal Credit, eBay Bucks and eBates are your friends. When I got back in, it took me awhile to learn about this stuff and probably left hundreds of free dollars on the table from the latter two!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nunzio11
10-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks King. I've ignored that stuff so far but will have to look into it now! My head is spinning but I'm excited and focused.

mark evans
10-05-2016, 06:52 PM
LOL. Just last night my wife yelled downstairs to inform me, while I was on here, what I had spent the last month on baseball cards!

I knew the bill was going to be high but I didn't expect her to loudly vocalize what I had spent recently in front of my son! :o

I told her, which is true, that that was the reason I chose to work 3 overtime shifts last month.

She surprisingly wasn't overly upset, but I know myself I need to slow down and spend more wisely/carefully, especially with Christmas coming up, among other things. :(

My wife and I never combined our finances, so we don't have these kinds of issues. Not to say we don't have other issues, but after 30+ years, they seem pretty manageable.

Manny Trillo
10-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Ditto on my end. I started back collecting at 46. Got out of the hobby at 18, right at the time when they begin printing a bajillion ugly baseball cards. It's interesting how much more purchasing power we have now then we did when we were kids

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

clydepepper
10-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Hello, Tony

I hope you enjoy your time on this forum. Lots of good, knowledgeable folks out here.

Raymond