PDA

View Full Version : Today's Game Ballot

Klrdds
10-03-2016, 03:55 PM
The BBHOF just released the Today's Game ballot as part of its revamped Veteran's Committee to be voted on in early December for induction in 2017. It is very underwhelming to say the least in my opinion !!!

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/mlb/baseball-hall-of-fame-2017-bud-selig-george-steinbrenner-among-candidates/ar-BBwXig9

bravos4evr
10-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Of that list, I think Schuerholz, Steinbrenner and Selig get in . McGwire won't garner enough love IMO and the other players are all "hall of the very good"

I like the cases for Pinella and Johnson as mgrs, but..... IDK, manager is such a hard thing to really pin down, I think they are hurt a wee bit by all the jumping around they did. probably deserve induction tho.

Bigdaddy
10-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Selig??? Really??? If the voters keep out McGuire, Bonds, and Rocket because of the juice, then Bud should be kept out for the same reason. He was the enabler for the entire steroid era and never addressed an issue as commissioner until it became a high profile problem.

rats60
10-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Selig belongs in the Hall of Shame, not the Hall of Fame. He is as guilty as the steroid users for allowing doping to infect the game. Cancelled World Series, All Star Game tie and making the AS game determine WS home field, all disasters. He's the worst commissioner in sports history.

Schuerholz should get in. I don't think any of the others are HOF worthy.

mighty bombjack
10-04-2016, 12:00 AM
It all comes down to the choice of who the committee members will be, a decision that could be made to facilitate anyone's entry. It seems pretty clear to me that the hall is doing this "Today's Game" thing such that they can determine whether (more to the point, when) the PED users get in, sanctimonious writers be damned. I think the hall itself wants McGwire in, paving the way for Clemens, Bonds, etc. Otherwise, this new committee is pretty pointless.

bravos4evr
10-04-2016, 05:37 AM
Selig belongs in the Hall of Shame, not the Hall of Fame. He is as guilty as the steroid users for allowing doping to infect the game. Cancelled World Series, All Star Game tie and making the AS game determine WS home field, all disasters. He's the worst commissioner in sports history.

Schuerholz should get in. I don't think any of the others are HOF worthy.

He made mistakes, but when you consider the huge influx of $$$ into the game and the growth,I think he probably deserves entry. Considering the strike that had a chance to ruin baseball, I think I might have turned the other way when the home runs were flying out too, gotta get butts back in seats.

Sivart31
10-04-2016, 10:30 AM
I was surprised there was no love for Jim Leyland...is he not eligible yet? I never understood how it worked for managers.

bravos4evr
10-04-2016, 10:45 AM
I was surprised there was no love for Jim Leyland...is he not eligible yet? I never understood how it worked for managers.

it's 5 years after retirement like players, I think he was working for someone's front office recently which might have kept him officially "active"

ETA: he last managed in 2013 for the Tigers, so he won't be eligible until after the 2018 season. apparently, front office work does not count towards eligibility, only "on the field" work like playing or managing. So, he's just not eligible for initial induction yet due to time!

I bet he gets in.

mr2686
10-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Well, for those of you with no love for Selig, I would counter that he had to go up against the baseball union for testing. You can't just say he was an enabler. Also, he brought the wild card games to the playoffs, which in my opinion, has made for not only exciting playoffs, but also allowed a lot of fans to cheer on their teams even when there was no chance of winning the division.

bravos4evr
10-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Well, for those of you with no love for Selig, I would counter that he had to go up against the baseball union for testing. You can't just say he was an enabler. Also, he brought the wild card games to the playoffs, which in my opinion, has made for not only exciting playoffs, but also allowed a lot of fans to cheer on their teams even when there was no chance of winning the division.

The good:

massive financial growth of the game
wildcard
finally got a good drug rule in place
didn't cave in to the "robot strikezone"
didn't reinstate Pete Rose (because Pete hasn't earned it yet)

the bad:

took too long for drug rules (tho 50% falls on the union)
stupid all star game/home field advantage rubbish
instant replay is a debacle
the 1994 strike

I think that being Commish for so long and growing the game he deserves it, but I can see the argument against him

yanks12025
10-04-2016, 01:14 PM
George Steinbrenner should 100% be in the hall of fame.

perezfan
10-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Selig??? Really??? If the voters keep out McGuire, Bonds, and Rocket because of the juice, then Bud should be kept out for the same reason. He was the enabler for the entire steroid era and never addressed an issue as commissioner until it became a high profile problem.

Well, LaRussa got in, despite being the Manager of the All PED Team. Actually the top two Steroid-induced teams of the era (Oakland and St. Louis).

At worst, he knew exactly what was going on; at best he turned a blind eye.

So these decision makers would seem to have a double-standard between the players and managers/execs. :mad:

MacDice
10-04-2016, 03:43 PM
I think Bud and Lou both go in

btcarfagno
10-04-2016, 04:19 PM
I think Bud and Lou both go in

Their "Who's On First" routine is already a Cooperstown staple. It's also my ringtone.

Tom C

Sivart31
10-05-2016, 10:22 AM
How were Cox and Torre who retired in 2010 able to get inducted in 2014 then? The whole system for managers is really weird.

almostdone
10-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Their "Who's On First" routine is already a Cooperstown staple. It's also my ringtone.

Tom C

Haha. Now that was funny!
Drew

redalpha7
10-05-2016, 04:44 PM
The is a special rule for HOF voting for umpires and managers if they are 65 or older.

Managers and umpires with 10 or more years in baseball and retired for at least five years.

Candidates who are 65 years or older are eligible six months following retirement

Sivart31
10-06-2016, 06:09 AM
So then, Leyland got snubbed? He would fall in that age bracket as well, no?

Scott Garner
10-07-2016, 03:41 AM
So then, Leyland got snubbed? He would fall in that age bracket as well, no?

Leland is fine as far as the age bracket goes, but doesn't qualify because he retired at the end of 2013 (no 5 year wait time yet) as the OP already mentioned.

Here is Mr. Leland, my daughter Sadie & me about 6 years ago. FWIW, I vote that Jim Leland gets into the HOF.

Sivart31
10-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Great pic! But as I understand it, if you are over 65 you only have to wait 6 months....so I am confused. I assumed Jim would probably be a 50/50 guy to get in - i hope he does because he is one of my favorites.

Bigdaddy
10-07-2016, 07:33 AM
The good:

massive financial growth of the game
wildcard
finally got a good drug rule in place
didn't cave in to the "robot strikezone"
didn't reinstate Pete Rose (because Pete hasn't earned it yet)

the bad:

took too long for drug rules (tho 50% falls on the union)
stupid all star game/home field advantage rubbish
instant replay is a debacle
the 1994 strike

I think that being Commish for so long and growing the game he deserves it, but I can see the argument against him

Another for 'the bad':
Let Ryan Braun keep his MVP award after being pegged as a juicer. IIRC, the results of the drug tests were known before the MVP votes were revealed. You cannot tell me with a straight face that the fact Braun was a Brewer had nothing to do with that 'do nothing' decision.

and another:
While baseball did bring in more $$, it was passed by the NFL and college football, and lost considerable ground to the NBA and college basketball.

Scott Garner
10-07-2016, 07:51 AM
Great pic! But as I understand it, if you are over 65 you only have to wait 6 months....so I am confused. I assumed Jim would probably be a 50/50 guy to get in - i hope he does because he is one of my favorites.

Thanks. I re-read the rule regarding age- gotcha. ;)
So he is eligible, but is not receiving the love so far...