PDA

View Full Version : Guess The Hammer Price 1952 Mantle

GasHouseGang
09-29-2016, 12:20 PM
I decided to pull this out of the other thread, and see if we can get some opinions. Most people decided #2 was the Mantle they would choose. Now let see what you think the final hammer price these will end at at auction. Number 3 shown already sold in REA's Spring auction for $180K.

#1http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/mop69/Goldin%20Mantle%202016.jpg (http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/mop69/media/Goldin%20Mantle%202016.jpg.html)
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/mop69/Goldin%20Mantle%20Back%202016.jpg (http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/mop69/media/Goldin%20Mantle%20Back%202016.jpg.html)

#2 AND #3

jchcollins
09-29-2016, 03:02 PM
If the colors are true I would agree, #2 is the best looking card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GasHouseGang
09-29-2016, 05:42 PM
Mantle #1 sold in April 2016 for $294K according to VCP. Any guesses of what it will sell for this time? Is the latest price run-up over, or will this card continue to go up? How about the Mantle #2? Will it surpass the PSA graded copy?:confused:

pokerplyr80
09-29-2016, 08:14 PM
I see the point you're trying to make but doubt the auction results will reflect the board's opinion. 330k for the PSA, 210k for the SGC.

GasHouseGang
09-30-2016, 12:21 PM
I see the point you're trying to make but doubt the auction results will reflect the board's opinion. 330k for the PSA, 210k for the SGC.

You may be right. I figure this card is so out of the league for most of us, that we really have no concept of what it should sell for. That's why I gave recently realized prices, but it's probably hard for most of us to know which way the market is really going for the high-end material.

orly57
10-01-2016, 10:09 PM

You may be right. And it is stupid. Number 2 (if colors sre true as another person mentioned) BLOWS AWAY number 1. In fact, i like both sgc cards much better than the psa. Guys buying holders instead of cards really bothers me.

1952boyntoncollector
10-01-2016, 10:27 PM
You may be right. And it is stupid. Number 2 (if colors sre true as another person mentioned) BLOWS AWAY number 1. In fact, i like both sgc cards much better than the psa. Guys buying holders instead of cards really bothers me.

People are selling 'independent' opinions....if there was no holder every seller would be saying their card is 'mint' would be so many returns..

GasHouseGang
10-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Well, the PSA Mantle finished at $306,250 in the Goldin Auction. I wonder how the SGC will fair? Nearly everyone seemed to pick it over the PSA example, but I wonder if it will be able to top $306K?

irv
10-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Well, the PSA Mantle finished at $306,250 in the Goldin Auction. I wonder how the SGC will fair? Nearly everyone seemed to pick it over the PSA example, but I wonder if it will be able to top $306K?

My money says no. PSA, although I hate to admit it, seems to always, (based on what I have seen) come out on top price wise.

rats60
10-04-2016, 09:31 PM

Goldin sold #2 two months ago for 180k. Now Goodwin is selling it.and it is at 170k with 2 days left.

GasHouseGang
10-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Goldin sold #2 two months ago for 180k. Now Goodwin is selling it.and it is at 170k with 2 days left.

Right. But two months ago may be like an eternity in "Mantle Land". What will it bring this time? I'm going to guess less than the PSA example. I'll guess it ends at $227K.

rats60
10-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Right. But two months ago may be like an eternity in "Mantle Land". What will it bring this time? I'm going to guess less than the PSA example. I'll guess it ends at $227K.

It sells for 169k, the flipper loses money. Also PSA 8 Clemente RC for 42k. If this was a flipper, it would also be a loss.

GasHouseGang
10-07-2016, 08:18 AM
I wonder if the new owner will try to cross it to PSA and flip it again? Did that card really finish at $137K less than the PSA example? Ouch!

irv
10-07-2016, 04:21 PM
I wonder if the new owner will try to cross it to PSA and flip it again? Did that card really finish at $137K less than the PSA example? Ouch!

Ouch is right! :eek:

I don't have the auction links nor any prior info, but did both SGC cards lose money compared to previous sales?

rats60
10-07-2016, 05:33 PM
Ouch is right! :eek:

I don't have the auction links nor any prior info, but did both SGC cards lose money compared to previous sales?

The one sold in the latest Goodwin auction was a loss. The consignor lost 224.00 + shipping plus whatever Goodwin made (20%?).

irv
10-07-2016, 06:41 PM
The one sold in the latest Goodwin auction was a loss. The consignor lost 224.00 + shipping plus whatever Goodwin made (20%?).

Thanks, Rats60. Guess it could have been a lot worse, but I believe that is the first time I have heard about someone losing money on a 52 Mantle.

MattyC
10-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Don't assume the card "sold" the first time around.

irv
10-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Don't assume the card "sold" the first time around.

True. I learned that with the $80,000 Koufax and the $150,000 Rose.

Still don't know how it all works or what is all involved with this, but it definitely creates confusion. :confused:

1952boyntoncollector
10-07-2016, 07:12 PM
True. I learned that with the $80,000 Koufax and the $150,000 Rose.

Still don't know how it all works or what is all involved with this, but it definitely creates confusion. :confused:

Right after the auction they always say 'sold' or something to the effect of the final sales price even though never got payment yet....i would think it would not look good to an AH to announce that a winning bidder on a 200k card did not pay because in future auctions people may not be willing to offer highest dollar when there are some bidders that are competing with dont actually pay..

irv
10-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Right after the auction they always say 'sold' or something to the effect of the final sales price even though never got payment yet....i would think it would not look good to an AH to announce that a winning bidder on a 200k card did not pay because in future auctions people may not be willing to offer highest dollar when there are some bidders that are competing with dont actually pay..

So what happens to those who bid/win but don't pay?

I would also assume, after some time has passed, that the A/H corrects the sold price to that of what the underbidder bid?

Just thinking? What would happen, with the unbidder thinking he didn't win, all of a sudden being told he told? Is he now obligated to purchase the card? What if he spent his money elsewhere before he found out? What happens in that case?

1952boyntoncollector
10-08-2016, 04:03 PM
So what happens to those who bid/win but don't pay?

I would also assume, after some time has passed, that the A/H corrects the sold price to that of what the underbidder bid?

Just thinking? What would happen, with the unbidder thinking he didn't win, all of a sudden being told he told? Is he now obligated to purchase the card? What if he spent his money elsewhere before he found out? What happens in that case?

I assuming the underbidder has the option to buy the card. I also assuming they dont update the sale price...people can correct me on here if my assumptions are not correct

I know some auction houses list names of people who didnt pay though, i guess theres a court option as well but probably rarely used.

irv
10-08-2016, 04:29 PM
I assuming the underbidder has the option to buy the card. I also assuming they dont update the sale price...people can correct me on here if my assumptions are not correct

I know some auction houses list names of people who didnt pay though, i guess theres a court option as well but probably rarely used.

I would think they would have too or that would be a falsehood and deceptive, would it not?

As far as the underbidder goes, that happened to me with an E-Bay purchase. I was outbid only to be told later the top bidder retracted his bid and now I was the top bidder.
I seen no place where it was an option if I still wanted the card, only that I was the top bidder and if I no longer wanted it, (had moved on etc), my only option was to retract my own bid.:confused:

I purchased it as I did still want it but I always wondered about that if I no longer did?

irv
10-10-2016, 08:42 AM
I would think they would have too or that would be a falsehood and deceptive, would it not?

As far as the underbidder goes, that happened to me with an E-Bay purchase. I was outbid only to be told later the top bidder retracted his bid and now I was the top bidder.
I seen no place where it was an option if I still wanted the card, only that I was the top bidder and if I no longer wanted it, my only option was to retract my own bid.:confused:

I purchased it as I did still want it but I always wondered about that if I no longer did?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Is it a recorded mark/flag against you if you had moved on/spent your money elsewhere when you were originally outbid?