PDA

View Full Version : A Great Read: Latest Goodwin Catalog

mechanicalman
09-27-2016, 01:20 PM
There is no irony in this title. I know many of you who think that these catalogs get too verbose in their descriptions, and even I have made that comment before, I admit. But once you get past the 2-3 paragraph copy of the premier cards, you'll find they have a small blurb for almost every single T206 card that makes for a great read. The descriptions talk about the player, not the card for the most part, and they have fascinating anecdotes about even the most obscure commons. Reads like a Cliff Notes version of The Glory of Their Times. A lot of these commons will go for less than $100-200 or so, but I still appreciate that they have some useful info about the players (and not the "good for the grade" hyperbole that dominates most auction copy.)

Anyway, it's been a wonderful accompaniment to my at home "office." Highly recommend it.

birdman42
09-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Mine came yesterday. They have great stuff every time, even if the language gets a little florid. But Dear God, does anyone there read the catalog before it goes to the printer? Random examples, from among the many things that make me grit my editor teeth:

Bill's name is spelled wrong(!) in the opening letter (Goodwinw)
Babe Ruth is apparently the "crème of the crop" ("cream of the crop," or "crème de la crème," pick one and only one)
Lot #s 19 and 20, the descriptions appear to be flipped. Lot #20's text talks about an E122, and the "Boston" on Ruth's uniform being obscured.

I'd be happy to give the book a once-over before it goes to press (hint, hint).

Bill Todd

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-27-2016, 03:11 PM
I consigned a 1/1 old judge with him years ago. My listing was fine, but I made the same offer. Proofreading is for amateurs I guess.