PDA

View Full Version : 1964 HOF Yellow Plaque Cards?

Favara
09-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Why are there two variations of 1964 - HOF Yellow Plaque Cards and which one's are correct?

Favara
09-27-2016, 04:47 PM
To clearly, I am trying to fill in some gaps on a Ted Williams card collection but there are two different 1964 HOF yellow plague cards (or at least the images) on the card. Why is this? Which one is correct?

Harford20
09-28-2016, 08:29 AM
I have been collecting the variations of the Ted Williams yellow HOF postcard. Actually, there are 3 different front variations, and if you count back variations (not including date changes that occurred which started in the early 1990s) there are a total of 13 different variations [most of these are Company and back format changes that occurred from 1983-2000].

To answer your original question, the Ted Facing Right (front version #1) is the original HOF postcard. The original green ink CurteichColor was the first one released for Ted, in approximately late 1967. This remained the only yellow HOF postcard for Ted until the early-mid 1970s when CurteichColor changed its ink to black. In 1978-1979, Dexter Press then took over the HOF postcards for two years, and this changed the yellow to multi-color borders, Ted happened to be orange with a brown wood framing on the front (front version #2). After this, chaos....

It turned out that that around 1979-1980, Ted asked the Baseball HOF to produce a new plaque for him, stating that his appearance (specifically his "sagging cheeks" so I have been told) was not representative of him during his playing days. The Baseball HOF conceded, and the change in plaque went to the Ted Facing Forward (front version #3) in approximately 1981.

Now, most of the BACK changes came in on the Ted Facing Forward version as several companies to include Roberts and Scenic Art owned the rights to the HOF postcards and changed the back formats frequently.

Hope this helps clear up the front variation differences.

Dave