PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Goudeys

robw1959
09-24-2016, 10:22 PM
For some reason, I have always struggled to identify the characteristics of authentic 1933 Goudey cards more than any other issue. Because of that, I have had a nagging, unanswered question in the back of my mind for years. It was probably ten years ago that I acquired a nice red #144 Ruth card and sent it in to PSA for grading. Unfortunately, it came back "Authentic" due to trimming. At some point before I mailed it, the front of the card developed a small curl at one of the front corners. The curl was extremely thin, and felt to me like a thin plastic film of some sort. Additionally, I recall that this substance held one of the colors of the card (I believe it was red), in a manner similar to the way layers of color are imprinted prior to the finished product. But in this case it was an applique of some sort. I have probably handled around 100 Goudeys since then, but I've never seen anything like that on any of them.

Can anyone relate to a similar personal experience with 1933 Goudey baseball cards?

Leon
09-25-2016, 07:23 AM
It sounds like some foreign substance was there not from the mfg process. Maybe it was held in a binder and some film got on it from that process.