PDA

View Full Version : I threw up a little in my mouth...

Exhibitman
09-24-2016, 04:09 PM
I went to a local paper fair today and a dealer had a Bobby Thompson check in a PSA holder. Fine, no biggie, but he was bitching a blue streak about how ridiculous the whole encapsulation thing was. The rest of his high end inventory was accompanied by Donald Frangipani COAs. I told him that Frangipani was one of the reasons why PSADNA has a niche, because DF is a fraud who will authenticate anything.

"That's not true, he's a forensic document examiner", the dealer said.

"That term has zero meaning," I said. "He's a fraud who has been debunked on TV and whose COAs are barred from eBay."

We agreed to disagree.

Maybe it was the fake but really quite good on first glance dual signed Karloff-Lugosi inscribed photo with the DF cert and the $1850 price tag, but I felt slightly ill...

RichardSimon
09-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Maybe it was the fake but really quite good on first glance dual signed Karloff-Lugosi inscribed photo with the DF cert and the $1850 price tag, but I felt slightly ill...

A broken clock is right twice a day. (and I am someone who was sued by the Donald, along with Spence and HBO and the case was thrown out of court).

Stampsfan
10-02-2016, 12:46 AM
Here is an ignorant question, so apologies up front....

Are any items "authenticated" by the aforementioned DF legitimate? On other words, was he part of a large conspiracy to commit fraud, or was he simply inept?

Thanks in advance...

mcgwirecom
10-02-2016, 05:02 AM
I'm sure there must be a few good examples out there. A blind squirrel still finds a nut on occasion. I've actually bought some nice McGwire signed items from Coaches Corner Auctions in the past. Its a shame but some people will send items in to be sold by them. But at this point any legit item they have will sell for way less than it should because of their bad name. So if you know what a good autograph looks like you can pick stuff up cheap.

bbcard1
10-02-2016, 06:30 AM
I have a good friend who amassed a complete composite or the 1927 Yankees with cuts authenticated by Donald Frangipani and Ted Taylor.

RichardSimon
10-02-2016, 07:07 AM
I have a good friend who amassed a complete composite or the 1927 Yankees with cuts authenticated by Donald Frangipani and Ted Taylor.

:mad::mad::mad:

Lordstan
10-02-2016, 07:37 AM

That is very unfortunate.

Klrdds
10-02-2016, 12:37 PM
I would love to see a post of the signatures on that 1927 composite .

RichardSimon
10-02-2016, 02:40 PM
I would love to see a post of the signatures on that 1927 composite .

That would be one fugly post :D:D.