PDA

View Full Version : A couple of more obscure Gehrig cards

Snapolit1
09-23-2016, 04:41 PM
. . . none of them are really obscure, or really valuable, but not stuff you see every day. Was just rearranging and snapped a few photos. Bought the Worch Cigar on BST a few months ago.

DaClyde
09-23-2016, 04:59 PM
The papers that ran the Sport Stamp series were all Hearst papers. I would love to be able to verify the checklists for all of those, but none of the Hearst papers seem to have any online archives that I can find.

EvilKing00
09-23-2016, 05:13 PM
I love the sports stamps, i have a ruth one. I believe they had detroit, chicago and one other city.

Leon
09-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Neat stuff Steve....these 1936 sport stamps were in my previous collection...

http://luckeycards.com/pstunc1936newspaperstamps2.jpg

arcadekrazy
09-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Miss that worch cigar Gehrig. Really nice issue, large format of an "in action" shot.

Snapolit1
09-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Leon - wow! Really cool.

BeanTown
09-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Here's the Worch with name in box version

pawpawdiv9
09-24-2016, 08:14 AM
Hey Jay, is that the one from Hunts last month?
They had one I bidded strong on, but was not enough.

BobC
09-24-2016, 08:34 AM
I love the sports stamps, i have a ruth one. I believe they had detroit, chicago and one other city.

Leon's post also shows the Sports Stamps were also in the Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph and Boston American papers. Per the Standard Catalog they only show Sports Stamps for the Boston, Detroit and Pittsburgh papers along with a separate listing titled the "Sunday Advertiser", which the Standard Catalog references back to the Boston American listing in their catalog. I believe those were for Sports Stamps printed in a particular section of the paper only printed on Sunday and could be for any of the known city papers the Sports Stamps were printed in. I've heard they were in a Chicago paper but, have never seen one and can't confirm that. I do know they were also printed in the Los Angeles Examiner, which is not shown or listed anywhere that I'm aware of. Can anyone confirm any other newspapers outside of Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh where the Sports Stamps were printed?

bravos4evr
09-24-2016, 08:37 AM
wow, cool stuff!

quick question: What are the prices like for those more obscure cards you have there? I would love to own a Gehrig, but I simply don't have enough hobby $$$ to afford a cracker jack or the other higher profile cards.

Leon
09-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Here is my list of distributors but there most likely are others..

ST-Unc/M-Unc 1936 Sports Stamps

Sporting News All Star
Boston American/Sunday Advertiser, Detroit Times, Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph stamps, Atlanta Georgian-American, LA Examiner ...

all shown above. I believe I referenced something to find the Sunday Advertiser :) and think that is 1 of 2 or 3 I have seen. This one shown is associated with the Boston American. I just don't know of the others... I guess they could have come in any paper from 1936 that had that section? Thanks for the confirmation they came in the LA Examiner, if that was what was being referred to...?

Leon's post also shows the Sports Stamps were also in the Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph and Boston American papers. Per the Standard Catalog they only show Sports Stamps for the Boston, Detroit and Pittsburgh papers along with a separate listing titled the "Sunday Advertiser", which the Standard Catalog references back to the Boston American listing in their catalog. I believe those were for Sports Stamps printed in a particular section of the paper only printed on Sunday and could be for any of the known city papers the Sports Stamps were printed in. I've heard they were in a Chicago paper but, have never seen one and can't confirm that. I do know they were also printed in the Los Angeles Examiner, which is not shown or listed anywhere that I'm aware of. Can anyone confirm any other newspapers outside of Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh where the Sports Stamps were printed?

BeanTown
09-24-2016, 09:03 AM
Hey Jay, is that the one from Hunts last month?
They had one I bidded strong on, but was not enough.

Yes, that would be the one. We had spirited bidding on that one. I bid really strong on the 1926 Gehrig Kut Out but ended up the Bridesmaid on that one. Maybe you won that?

BobC
09-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Thanks Leon,

I had not heard of the Atlanta- Georgia paper having them before this. Someone else posted they thought they were in a Chicago paper also but, I've never seen a Sports Stamp from a Chicago publication, and given the size of Chicago you would think that at least a few would have survived till today.

I can definitely confirm that the Sports Stamps were in the LA Examiner as I have a pretty good sample of them. In fact the ones I have were often way over cut and included tops of the pages referencing the paper and the date. And for the ones I have that don't include a date, whoever cut them out went to the trouble of penciling on the date of the paper they were cut from, so I can actually reference the exact days they appeared in that paper. The ones I have all seem to be from August of 1936, and they include more than just major league ballplayers on the Sports Stamps. I've also got a few race car drivers, a couple football players and boxers, and even a wrestling promoter and a boxing promoter.

The ballplayers are not all just current major league players either and include players and managers from various Pacific Coast teams. Because of their inclusion and specific reference to the Pacific Coast League, it doesn't look like these Sports Stamps subjects were selected and printed in all the Hearst papers across the country exactly the same way as another poster may have alluded to. I'm guessing the Sports Stamp subjects selected were regionally influenced and many may have been exclusively printed in the LA Examiner alone, or specific to the areas covered by the newspapers in other cities these Sports Stamps were printed in.

Sorry to the OP, wasn't trying to take over the thread. Hey Leon, this could be a good topic for a separate thread though. Thanks.

Phil Arem
09-24-2016, 10:40 AM
i believe it was the 1936 Chicago American Sports Stamps. I recently purchased a Ruth.

regards Phil

pawpawdiv9
09-24-2016, 11:06 AM
Yes, that would be the one. We had spirited bidding on that one. I bid really strong on the 1926 Gehrig Kut Out but ended up the Bridesmaid on that one. Maybe you won that?

I bidded early on, for that Worch Cigar, but it just kept going up & up.
I did see the Kut-Out one as well, noting that its considered a RC piece from Oldcardboard site, I have only seen 1 of those before, but did not bid on it.

Been wanting to add a Gehrig item, and thought this would be it.
I see nice Goudeys, which I prefer the yellow one over the other blue/green
Then I see a Delong which are nice....but forking over 1k++ I much prefer the Worch Cigar. Just something makes it look old and looks great.

Leon
09-24-2016, 02:27 PM
i believe it was the 1936 Chicago American Sports Stamps. I recently purchased a Ruth.

regards Phil

thanks for sending this over to be posted....(as sent it was around 20x too big to post)...

btw, I do love those Worch cards....