PDA

View Full Version : raw cards

Manny Trillo
09-22-2016, 06:59 PM
ter I started getting back into the hobby a couple years ago I was buying exclusively raw cards both at shows and on eBay. But after reading about all the horror stories of people doctoring cards I'm now getting them slabbed I don't want to take the chance of buying raw cards. I would like to get the thoughts of those people who buy only raw cards and what kind of steps they take to make sure that they're not altered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

irv
09-22-2016, 07:09 PM
ter I started getting back into the hobby a couple years ago I was buying exclusively raw cards both at shows and on eBay. But after reading about all the horror stories of people doctoring cards I'm now getting them slabbed I don't want to take the chance of buying raw cards. I would like to get the thoughts of those people who buy only raw cards and what kind of steps they take to make sure that they're not altered.

I buy a mixed bag of both but most of my purchases are low value commons so the likely hood of them being fakes is quite slim, imo.

If I were a big roller and was spending thousands on a card, then by all means, I want it slabbed, but that still doesn't guarantee it is authentic based on what I have learned since I joined here, sadly. :(

clydepepper
09-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Any time I purchase raw vintage cards, I check out the seller as much as I can, but, even then, there are few guarantees.

If the cost is more than a few dollars, I prefer to get a graded version.

Even that isn't fool-proof, but I consider PSA and SGC further up the hobby food-chain than I am and rely on that difference.

bbcard1
09-22-2016, 08:32 PM
Heard the horror stories about slabbed cards?

ooo-ribay
09-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Heard the horror stories about slabbed cards?

exactly.

Manny Trillo
09-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Do any of y'all feel confident enough to judge for yourself whether a car has been doctored using magnifying glass, black lights, rulers Etc

drcy
09-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Buy low grade cards.

bbcard1
09-23-2016, 06:22 AM
Do any of y'all feel confident enough to judge for yourself whether a car has been doctored using magnifying glass, black lights, rulers Etc

I think most of the folks on this board would make a routine purchase (50-100 or so) without a loop, lack light or ruler. But most folks here have collected more than a decade or two. I seldom buy graded, because I think it's a rigged game. I do get fooled every once and a while. I made a mistake on an $90 altered card recently that had had a solvent used on it that I had not seen before, but the guys on the board called my attention to it. Did I mention it was a graded card?

JustinD
09-23-2016, 07:10 AM

Absolutely, especially with all that.

Now many autos... no sir, not yet.

steve B
09-23-2016, 07:18 PM

Yes, on almost any card without any of that. Some of the more obscure issues would be a bit of a challenge, but over time you get a feel for what's "right" and what isn't. With the magnifier etc I'd be more confident.

Steve B