PDA

View Full Version : General Question - Buying from Canadians

MikeKam
09-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Hi guys,

Just a general question here that I seemingly can't find the answer to online.

For those of you based in the U.S. and who have bought from sellers based in Canada, do you pay duties on your orders? If so, is it on all or only on some exceeding a specific amount?

Thank you!

Leon
09-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Hi guys,

Just a general question here that I seemingly can't find the answer to online.

For those of you based in the U.S. and who have bought from sellers based in Canada, do you pay duties on your orders? If so, is it on all or only on some exceeding a specific amount?

Thank you!

You are supposed to declare value and buyers should pay on that amount. There aren't duties coming into the US as much as going out of, I believe. Maybe others will know more....

MikeKam
09-22-2016, 01:25 PM
You are supposed to declare value and buyers should pay on that amount. There aren't duties coming into the US as much as going out of, I believe. Maybe others will know more....

Yes, I'm always paying duties on my imports valued over $100 - I'm just wondering whether you guys in the U.S. do as well, or whether there's a different threshold it must reach, or if there is anything else you must deal with when buying from Canada - thank you!

byrone
09-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Under NAFTA, aren't most goods made in Canada and/or USA duty exempt when crossing th border?

Sales tax might be applicable, but duty should be exempt, for the most part

Tripredacus
09-22-2016, 02:27 PM
I've never had to pay an additional fees to receive an item from Canada.

Rookiemonster
09-22-2016, 02:29 PM
I thought we had free trade ? 🤔

quinnsryche
09-22-2016, 02:42 PM
I've never had to pay an additional fees to receive an item from Canada.

Me neither, and I buy a lot of hockey cards from Canada (usually through eBay but other sources as well).

MikeKam
09-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Yes, NAFTA/Free Trade blah blah blah haha.

Here in Canada we're charged a brokerage fee + sales tax (13% in Ontario) for any import with a declared value of $100 (at least that is the threshold in my experience).

I've been wondering whether me being located in Canada may hinder my sales to the U.S. if it involves my customers there paying duties, but that does not seem to be the case haha. Thanks guys!

Den*nis O*Brien
09-22-2016, 03:38 PM
I didn't pay any extra on a T206 less than $50.00 from a B/S/T transaction from VintageJay in Canada. It took a little longer to pass thru customs but was a very smooth deal. I don't know anything about going reverse....US to Canada.

irv
09-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Yes, I'm always paying duties on my imports valued over $100 - I'm just wondering whether you guys in the U.S. do as well, or whether there's a different threshold it must reach, or if there is anything else you must deal with when buying from Canada - thank you!

I have only ever paid duty once on cards I have received from the U.S. and I have had a few orders over a $100 dollars.

The lady at the P.O. said it is a crap shoot. Some get flagged/caught and have to pay duty and others don't.

At the time, I had to pay another $28.00 on top of what I paid, which I believe was around $125 dollars worth of cards from the U.S. :mad:

I was nervous, as another set of cards were coming in a couple days for around the same amount, but, thankfully, I wasn't charged it again.

Today, I just received some more cards from PWCC that were late by 2 days so I thought for sure I was going to have to pay again, but thankfully, tonight, they were in my mail box. :)

I don't believe Americans pay anything more than what is listed on E-Bay whether those cards were purchased in Canada or the U.S.

MikeKam
09-22-2016, 05:27 PM
I have only ever paid duty once on cards I have received from the U.S. and I have had a few orders over a $100 dollars.

The lady at the P.O. said it is a crap shoot. Some get flagged/caught and have to pay duty and others don't.

At the time, I had to pay another $28.00 on top of what I paid, which I believe was around $125 dollars worth of cards from the U.S. :mad:

I was nervous, as another set of cards were coming in a couple days for around the same amount, but, thankfully, I wasn't charged it again.

Today, I just received some more cards from PWCC that were late by 2 days so I thought for sure I was going to have to pay again, but thankfully, tonight, they were in my mail box. :)

I don't believe Americans pay anything more than what is listed on E-Bay whether those cards were purchased in Canada or the U.S.

Thank you!

Yeah the $28 you paid makes sense. The brokerage fee for Canada Post is $10 + sales tax (13% of $125 is about $16.25)

irv
09-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Thank you!

Yeah the $28 you paid makes sense. The brokerage fee for Canada Post is $10 + sales tax (13% of $125 is about $16.25)

There were a bunch of stories about this not that long ago but this is the only one I could find.
In a nutshell, paying duty on such a miniscule amount of money is to deter cross border shopping.

They, the Gov't, spend more running/managing it than they take in! :eek:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/duty-free-limit-america-1.3467632