PDA

View Full Version : 1903 Cy Young cane on eBay

scooter729
09-18-2016, 07:34 PM
I just noticed a 1903 Cy Young presentational cane on eBay - not sure about the authenticity of this one.

link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antique-1903-Red-Sox-Baseball-World-Series-Cy-Young-Presentation-Cane-/131942503725?hash=item1eb862d52d:g:DZoAAOSwAuZX3XI b)

For starters, the Red Sox didn't go by the Red Sox name until several years after 1903 - they were called the Pilgrims or Americans at the time. In addition, in 1903 it wouldn't have been called the "World Series" - more likely would be "championship series" or "world's series."

Since the bidding already is at $3k, I wanted to at least share what I know...

Scott S@ri@n

David Atkatz
09-18-2016, 07:40 PM
The team nick name was "Pilgrims." "Americans" referred to the fact that they were Boston's AL team--the Braves were referred to as the "Nationals." Same in New York, as it had a team in each league, too. The Highlanders were referred to as "Americans," the Giants as "Nationals." Neither Americans nor Nationals was a team nick name, though, in the sense that "Pilgrims," "Braves," Highlanders," or "Giants" were.

vintagesportscollector
09-18-2016, 07:59 PM
I just noticed a 1903 Cy Young presentational cane on eBay - not sure about the authenticity of this one.

link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antique-1903-Red-Sox-Baseball-World-Series-Cy-Young-Presentation-Cane-/131942503725?hash=item1eb862d52d:g:DZoAAOSwAuZX3XI b)

For starters, the Red Sox didn't go by the Red Sox name until several years after 1903 - they were called the Pilgrims or Americans at the time. In addition, in 1903 it wouldn't have been called the "World Series" - more likely would be "championship series" or "world's series."

Since the bidding already is at $3k, I wanted to at least share what I know...

Scott S@ri@n

Good observations. Maybe it was presented several years later, maybe many years later, in celebration of that victory and the only Boston World Series he pitched in. The term World Series wasn't used until the late teens.

rhettyeakley
09-18-2016, 08:35 PM
Not the best quality engraving on this piece, actually it is pretty horrendous. I have no idea of the provenance but I'm skeptical that that is an authentic item.

baseball tourist
09-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Not the best quality engraving on this piece, actually it is pretty horrendous. I have no idea of the provenance but I'm skeptical that that is an authentic item.

I thought that when I saw the engraving as well. You would think that the "TO" would be centered. It looks amateurish.

ooo-ribay
09-19-2016, 06:07 AM
I think it may be "real" but presented by some unofficial group. I sometimes wonder whether an item like this was at all treasured or used by the recipient. For me, a cane from the Podunk City Chamber of Commerce would be way, way, way less valuable than something issued by a team or league.

ramram
09-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Reading the description, I might get the impression that the Sports Auctions that he mentions did not feel comfortable taking it for their auction.

Rob M

scooter729
09-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Reading the description, I might get the impression that the Sports Auctions that he mentions did not feel comfortable taking it for their auction.

Rob M

Exactly what I was thinking.

I did send the information I posted to the seller last night - we'll see if he does anything to amend / update his listing based on that. I'm guessing he actually might, since he does list a 100% money back guarantee, but we shall see.....

btcarfagno
09-19-2016, 09:50 AM
I think it may be "real" but presented by some unofficial group. I sometimes wonder whether an item like this was at all treasured or used by the recipient. For me, a cane from the Podunk City Chamber of Commerce would be way, way, way less valuable than something issued by a team or league.

This is what I am thinking. Someone from West Bumscrew wanted ol' Cy to attend their community day at some point well after he retired and this was a kindly gesture for him. I would also agree that value is greatly compromised without a trail of ownership. He may have given to someone before leaving the event for all we know. Still a neat item. Not something I would be interested in for anywhere near its current price though.

Tom C

jhs5120
09-20-2016, 08:36 AM
It would make sense that they presented Cy Young with a cane during his later years. You don't really give a 35 year old athlete a cane as a present. This cane might originate from as late as the 1940's. It would be interesting to know whether there was an anniversary game or some sort of pregame ceremony for Young.

vintagesportscollector
09-20-2016, 09:00 AM
While I agree it would make sense that they presented Cy Young with a cane during his later years, it’s not true that you wouldn’t really give a 35 year old athlete a cane as a present, back then. Today canes are primarily regarded for Orthopedic use, but back then Canes were used very widely as a fashion statement and for ceremony.

steve B
09-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Maybe related to the building of Northeasterns Cabot gym? It was built in 1953- 4, so he might have been around for the groundbreaking. The naming as the Cabot center and placing the plaque that mentions the World Series wasn't until after he died. But there was also a plaque out back near where homeplate was that was also placed about the same time as the one on the building, so they must have been considering the importance of the location.

It looks older, but refitting something older might have been done.

Steve B

scooter729
09-21-2016, 07:26 AM
No response from the seller on this one and it's been over a couple of days now, so I'm assuming he knows something might be questionable with it, but bidding is at $4500 now so he doesn't want to mess up anything.....

ruth-gehrig
09-23-2016, 08:25 PM
$7600 and climbing

Angyale
09-29-2016, 08:43 PM
I believe he lived in the Newcomerstown/Peoli area of southeastern Ohio at the end of his life. Doubt he was in Mass.

Eric