PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Knoxville, TN!

spaidly
09-16-2016, 07:48 PM
Hello Sports Fans,

I'm happy to be a new member and hope to add value to this board. I'm in my third wave of collecting and really enjoying it. First wave: 1976. Scouted garage sales as a 10 yo and hit the jackpot twice. Sold that collection and bought a car. Of course, I regret it, which lead to the second wave that started in 2003. Collected all Pete Rose cards in PSA 8s and 9s. Sold those and regret it. Third wave started a few weeks ago and I'm focusing on all the cards I didn't have when I was a kid, specifically Brooklyn Dodgers, 1914/15 Cracker Jacks, and completing a Topps 1957 set in near mint condition. I won't be selling again. :)

I love this hobby. Picked up a dream card that arrived today: 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese in a high end PSA 8 without the pink print dot on the right.

I hope to build some relationships here and have fun. Thanks for reading this.

Cheers!
Scott

irv
09-16-2016, 07:58 PM
Hello Sports Fans,

I'm happy to be a new member and hope to add value to this board. I'm in my third wave of collecting and really enjoying it. First wave: 1976. Scouted garage sales as a 10 yo and hit the jackpot twice. Sold that collection and bought a car. Of course, I regret it, which lead to the second wave that started in 2003. Collected all Pete Rose cards in PSA 8s and 9s. Sold those and regret it. Third wave started a few weeks ago and I'm focusing on all the cards I didn't have when I was a kid, specifically Brooklyn Dodgers, 1914/15 Cracker Jacks, and completing a Topps 1957 set in near mint condition. I won't be selling again. :)

I love this hobby. Picked up a dream card that arrived today: 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese in a high end PSA 8 without the pink print dot on the right.

Cheers!
Scott Spaid

Welcome to the site, Scott.

wnp22
09-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Greetings from the other side of the state! Welcome aboard, you're sure to enjoy yourself here!

ValKehl
09-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Welcome to Net54. You said the magic words, "I won't be selling again"!

Leon
09-17-2016, 07:02 AM
Welcome friend, hope you enjoy your stay. Many of us have had collections and started over. There is no right or wrong answer in collecting. Have fun and happy collecting...

Hello Sports Fans,

Cheers!
Scott Spaid

Bliggity
09-17-2016, 07:41 AM
Picked up a dream card that arrived today: 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese in a high end PSA 8 without the pink print dot on the right.

Pics or it didn't happen :D

mybuddyinc
09-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Welcome.

Always room for another Scott :rolleyes:

spaidly
09-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Pics or it didn't happen :D

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. My wife definitely knows the 53 Pee Wee happened. :D Here 'tis...

ALR-bishop
09-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Welcome on board. That is a great Reese, but it somehow does not seem right to not get both versions pf that card :)

spaidly
09-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Welcome on board. That is a great Reese, but it somehow does not seem right to not get both versions pf that card :)

You're killing me!

KMayUSA6060
09-17-2016, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the board!

Two things...

1) Beautiful Reese. The photograph on that card belongs on a wall in a large frame. One of the best ever.

2) How is the Knoxville area? My girlfriend and I are looking to move down to Tennessee from Ohio at some point. We have never been, but have our eyes on visiting the Johnson City/Knoxville area to see if it's an area we'd like to live.

Rookiemonster
09-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the board that is a ridiculous Reese !

MikeGarcia
09-17-2016, 06:21 PM

...yeah , the 1953 Bowman Black/White var. is pricey. Doesn't come up very often .But you really need both. This is a set-completion crowd.

irv
09-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the board!

Two things...

1) Beautiful Reese. The photograph on that card belongs on a wall in a large frame. One of the best ever.

2) How is the Knoxville area? My girlfriend and I are looking to move down to Tennessee from Ohio at some point. We have never been, but have our eyes on visiting the Johnson City/Knoxville area to see if it's an area we'd like to live.

I never thought of that, but you're right, that would look great in a large frame hung on a wall.

spaidly
09-17-2016, 07:25 PM
...yeah , the 1953 Bowman Black/White var. is pricey. Doesn't come up very often .But you really need both. This is a set-completion crowd.

Are you telling me there is a Reese in the B&W set? Never seen that. Google here I come. The Casey Stengal in that set is really cool. I have 2 Dodgers from that set. I thought Al was referring to owning the color Reese with the print dot issue in addition the one I just acquired. Setting the controls for the heart of the sun...

spaidly
09-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the board!

Two things...

Thanks on the Reese. I've been chasing my perfect one for a long time.

I love Knoxville. Still a small town. Downtown has really come along and is a great place to work, live, and play if you don't have a passel of kids. The burbs are not too spread out and traffic is not an issue. I'm from Southern CA so my perspective on traffic is warped. Housing is reasonable. We managed to not get hit as hard as other cities in 2008. UT Football is a religion here so I hope you like the color orange (GO VOLS!). Biggest attraction are the Great Smoky Mountains so if you're into the outdoors you will love it.

ALR-bishop
09-17-2016, 08:11 PM
I thought I had both the Color and B&W sets done but I need the B&W Reese as well....allegedly. But you do need the Color pink dot... sorry. But look at the bright side. It is better than needing both 52 Mantles , Robinsons and Thompsons

spaidly
09-18-2016, 08:24 AM
I thought I had both the Color and B&W sets done but I need the B&W Reese as well....allegedly. But you do need the Color pink dot... sorry. But look at the bright side. It is better than needing both 52 Mantles , Robinsons and Thompsons

Yeah, Mike got me on that B&W Reese. It will remain in the Bigfoot/Loch Ness Monster category.

divecchia
09-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Welcome, Scott.

Donato

Joshwesley
09-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Welcome aboard and Gooooo Gators!!
🐊🐊

clydepepper
09-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Scott - great to have another southerner on the board!

You've got a great Pee Wee Reese card there...mine is a 7 and recently the case got scratched, so I am considering replacing it...don't know if I can afford an 8 though.

Have a great time here!

-Raymond

Hot Springs Bathers
09-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Welcome Scott and yes your southern California traffic outlook is warped. Driving through Knoxville on the interstate is a nightmare 24 hours a day for a southerner! But I do love Knoxville, great town and university setting.

spaidly
09-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Thanks again to all for the warm welcome. I look forward to this forum every night and love my new obsession. I hope to actually meet some of you in person some day. It's crazy how some cardboard can make so many of us so happy. :)

Cheers!
Scott

mrvster
09-20-2016, 04:23 PM
I collect mainly T206....but have always loved that reese card......looks like he should be playing basketball:D:)

pbspelly
09-21-2016, 06:23 AM
Knoxville, the Milwaukee of the South.

Shoebox
09-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Welcome to the board! Congrats on the beautiful Reese acquisition!

spaidly
09-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Knoxville, the Milwaukee of the South.

That is hilarious. My brother lives in Brewerville. I get it.

spaidly
09-21-2016, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the board! Congrats on the beautiful Reese acquisition!

Thank you! My centerpiece card now. It dethroned my PSA 5 1914 Cracker Jack Zach Wheat. My dream card is a snappy Goudey Babe Ruth #144. Yeah, I know, get in line... One day, it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.