PDA

View Full Version : Fake Cobb Ghost

PhillipAbbott79
09-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Can someone confirm if this is fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-t206-Ty-Cobb-Ames-Ghost-Image-Baseball-Card-True-1-1-collectors-dream-/172339050066?hash=item2820353652:g:ZMQAAOSwOdpX1sb T

I think it is for 2 reasons at a minimum:

1. The image is how it would be if you were looking at the front of a Cobb card. I would think it should be backwards.

2. It transferred 2 colors? Don't they get printed 1 at a time? It would seem unusual for it to transfer 2 colors.

Phil

njdunkin1
09-12-2016, 06:49 PM
I found it tricky as well. The Ames appears totally normal without any sort of color shift or missing ink. I think you are on to something.

bravos4evr
09-12-2016, 06:54 PM
the only way that could turn out that way would be for the Cobb to have been printed on the back and then the sweet caporal layer added then printed, which doesn't make much sense. even if the Cobb had been mislaid on top of the card while wet after printing it would be a mirror image.

T205 GB
09-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Stay away from it. I seen that card several years ago at the National and was buying it only if SGC would authenticated it. It is fake!

Just wanted to add it used to reside in a PSA holder

swarmee
09-13-2016, 04:02 PM
When you say it was in a PSA holder, it seems like you're insinuating the card is a fake (counterfeit, made after 1915) and that PSA graded and encapsulated it anyways. What was the grade? Is the card actually counterfeit, or just the Cobb image? If PSA gave it a 3(MK), or even an AUTH, then they probably did the right thing.
Can you elaborate?

bravos4evr
09-13-2016, 04:45 PM
When you say it was in a PSA holder, it seems like you're insinuating the card is a fake (counterfeit, made after 1915) and that PSA graded and encapsulated it anyways. What was the grade? Is the card actually counterfeit, or just the Cobb image? If PSA gave it a 3(MK), or even an AUTH, then they probably did the right thing.
Can you elaborate?

that's a good question, the card can be authentic, it can be a real T206 Ames Sweet Caporal that some funny bidness has happened on the back to. how do you judge such a thing?

granite75
09-13-2016, 05:43 PM
It's a Ghost epidemic

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/232081609050

Sean
09-13-2016, 05:50 PM
There's a whole bunch of them from this MotorcycleMatthew seller.

Jobu
09-13-2016, 06:17 PM
This card is definitely a fake. Some details here for those who want to know why I say that:

Consider first the image quality - if those layers were printed on the back you would have a full, solid image of Ty Cobb on the back as if it were the normal front of a card, it would just be on the back. Instead, there is this weird shadowy ghost there, which means that the layers weren't actually printed there.

Another option is a wet sheet transfer, which would never be this clear - the best of those can be cool but they still generally lack the finer details.

The final option is a roller/cylindrical transfer which is how the cool gray ghosts are made. However, that image would be much clearer and, more damningly, I have never seen one of those with more than a single layer printed. The way they are made is that the press is run without a sheet of paper being fed into it, meaning the single layer of ink then transfers onto the roller instead of the paper that ought to be there. The next sheet through then gets the image printed correctly and also has the ink from the roller transferred onto the back of the card as the paper goes through. As the ink wears off of the roller the image weakens, which is why there is some variation in the quality of this type of ghost image. For this many colors to be there this accident would have had to happen for all of them -- which is pretty much impossible.

T205 GB
09-14-2016, 08:14 AM
The Slab was an Auth grade. Same way you get scraps and other print errors. The problem is they should have refused to holder it because in a Auth holder someone not versed in what to look for could easily be taken for some good money thinking they got a great deal but ended up getting ripped off

Leon
09-16-2016, 10:15 AM
The card itself looks real? but even if the ghost image were real it's not a very nice one..

Can someone confirm if this is fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-t206-Ty-Cobb-Ames-Ghost-Image-Baseball-Card-True-1-1-collectors-dream-/172339050066?hash=item2820353652:g:ZMQAAOSwOdpX1sb T

I think it is for 2 reasons at a minimum:

1. The image is how it would be if you were looking at the front of a Cobb card. I would think it should be backwards.

2. It transferred 2 colors? Don't they get printed 1 at a time? It would seem unusual for it to transfer 2 colors.

Phil