PDA

View Full Version : '33 Goudey size variance?

brob28
09-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Hoping some of our Goudey experts can weigh in here. I've been working on the '33 Goudey set for a few months and until recently have stuck with graded cards. However, I recently picked up a group of raw cards and have noticed amongst this group the size seems to vary some smaller & some larger than the 2-3/8 by 3-7/8 size. I would imagine some could be larger (maybe hand cut) but smaller? They are not off by a lot but still off a bit. I've looked at the edges with a 10x loupe but really cant see anything but it could just be my eyes missing something. Would love to hear from our experts via this thread or PM:

1) Have you seen any size variances in these?
2) Anything specific to Goudeys you would look for when examining the edges?

Thanks Guys,

robw1959
09-10-2016, 02:11 PM
I haven't owned a lot of Goudeys, so I haven't had that much experience with them, but I did come into an estate lot a while back that included over a quarter of the '33 set. Based on that, I agree that minor size variations are normal for this issue. Trimming, when it occurs, is a little bit easier to spot in one respect. Because of the thickness of the cards, an exacto-knife trim will readily show up as an angular cut when the edges are examined through a magnifying device.

glynparson
09-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Very few issues don't have minor size variations.

brob28
09-11-2016, 08:09 AM
Thank you for the responses guys, a little reassurance goes a long way.

Leon
09-13-2016, 03:52 PM
I would say that more than just a little variance, maybe more than 1/16th of an inch, could be suspect.