PDA

View Full Version : t206 Ghost Image Help

dbaks
09-08-2016, 01:42 PM
I've seen people post ghost images on here for sale. I'm still somewhat of a t206 rookie, especially with oddities. What constitutes a ghost image?

I recently picked up this card....it appears to have a slight ghost image around his nose and head, but I'm not sure. I've seen others of the same card on ebay that don't appear to have this ghost image. Am I looking at it correctly? What sort of value does that add to the card, in general?

Thanks

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/dbaks/t206/43796/scheckard-psa-2

shammus
09-08-2016, 01:48 PM
It appears that the registration for the pink color pass is off ever so slightly. If you look at the right border of the photo area, you'll see that the pink background has a tiny sliver of white next to it between the pink and the black border line....

Sean
09-08-2016, 02:22 PM
It appears that the registration for the pink color pass is off ever so slightly. If you look at the right border of the photo area, you'll see that the pink background has a tiny sliver of white next to it between the pink and the black border line....

Yes, it's a slight color shift. I don't think a shift that small adds any value.

A more pronounced shift might add a little to the price, but not much.

Sean
09-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Sorry I don't have an individual scan. The card on the right, Downey, has a pronounced color shift. You can see that the green color was misaligned when it was applied. A similar thing happened with your card, just not as pronounced. It is not uncommon with these cards.

swarmee
09-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Yeah, that's just a slight misalignment of the sheets during the color process, normally called "registration".

A ghost is when another card is transferred onto a card (normally due to the sheets being set on top of each other while wet).

dbaks
09-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Ok cool.....thanks for the info guys! I didn't think I hit the jackpot or anything. Something just looked off when I got it in and looked at it.

BobbyVCP
09-09-2016, 04:20 PM
As stated Ghost images are basically wet sheet transfers. There is a section on VCP that has lots of examples and values.

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/set-profile/3737/1909-T206-White-Borders-Ghosts-Miscuts-Oddities-Baseball-Card-Value-Prices.htm

Jantz
09-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Hi Dave

There are two types of ghost images.

The key words to remember are applied and transferred .

Some ghost images were applied to the T206 during the printing process, while other ghost images were created as a result of wet sheets.

The Myers below is a ghost image that was applied during the printing process, not a wet sheet transfer.

Jantz

irishdenny
09-10-2016, 02:42 AM
Yes!
Jantz is BriLLiaNTLy CorrecT!
& Here are Mr. Meyer's Brother's iN Arms...

And Lets Not Firget the Cylinder Rolls
THaT Are Almost Always Found on the Backside of the Card!

Jobu wanna chime in wit Your Mr. Hughie Jennings...
Or Maybe one of the Other Fellow Misfits Collectors!?

Or there's the Classic "Registration Shift!"

mrvster
09-10-2016, 03:31 AM
so little time:)

Jantz spot on! some w/s/t (wet sheet transferred)......some actually "struck" with the dye......:)

an example of "struck"