PDA

View Full Version : Hank Aaron Signed Letter - From 1973 During Home Run Chase

braves_43
09-07-2016, 08:17 PM
I am in the process of purchasing this cool piece for my Hank Aaron collection. It is a personalized letter signed by Aaron to a fan thanking the fan for his support during Aaron's chase of the home run record in 1973.

How common are letters like this?

What would be a rough value on this?

Besides Aaron's signature being on the letter, does the subject matter add any value?

roarfrom34
09-07-2016, 08:20 PM
hard to tell from the picture if the autograph is actually hand signed by Hank or printed/autopen......

can you post a better picture? it's difficult for me to imagine Hank personally answering a fan letter a year before he broke the HR record...

braves_43
09-07-2016, 08:52 PM
I will try and get a better picture tomorrow. I did that from my phone so I apologize if the picture isn't the best.

It looks like a real signature below a facsimile signature on the letter.

It looks like the fan wrote a letter to Aaron in support of him chasing the record and he responded. It didn't seem totally out of the realm of possibilities that he actually did that but I guess I could be wrong...

Bcwcardz
09-08-2016, 09:14 AM
There is a letter similar to this on autographaddict.com. Sorry I dont know how to link. Its the same letterhead but no facsimile on the bottom, just a straight signature with his printed name. Im not sure if the content of the letter is the same or not. Will wait for better pic.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

roarfrom34
09-08-2016, 10:37 AM
If you Google "Hank Aaron 1973 letter" you'll see a few of them on line that you can compare as well....Seems like a form letter that was sent to well wishing fans and perhaps he (or a secretary) added the signature...

Good Luck!

JimStinson
09-09-2016, 01:15 PM
On the record
The highest confirmed volume of mail received by any private citizen in one year is 900,000 letters by the baseball star Hank Aaron (USA), reported by the US Postal Department in June 1974. About a third were letters of hate engendered by his bettering of Babe Ruth's career record for 'home runs'.
So if Hank was signing his fan mail (not counting the HATE mail) he'd be looking at likely 2 Million pieces in 1973 & 1974 (not including his in person requests) while under the incredible pressure of chasing the "Babe's" record he is indeed super human , the only person that received more mail between 1973-1974 was President Richard Nixon