PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a valuable framed piece

brooklynbaseball
09-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Can anyone suggest which shipping venue would be best to use for a high value (low 5 figures) large (36x24) framed piece. I would need to insure it, and ship from NYC to Wisconsin. Thank you

thecatspajamas
09-01-2016, 07:42 PM
How you pack it is going to be more important than who you ship it with. Beyond that, the quicker the shipping method, the less time/opportunity the shipper has to damage it. Also remember that adding extra insurance does not make it less likely that your item will be damaged nor does it encourage careful handling of your package. Make your packing bomb-proof, and limit your exposure time-wise for best results.

murphusa
09-02-2016, 10:52 AM
double boxing always helps

ruth-gehrig
09-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Having the glass removed is a huge plus although I know that's not always possible. I can only remember having one framed item with glass shipped to me and it arrived with broken glass shaking around inside the package. At that point when you can hear broken glass bouncing around inside keep your fingers crossed that the sharp glass pieces didn't damage the print or painting. :rolleyes: I lucked out with no print damage :)

I've heard of people applying tape (maybe masking tape)? over the entire glass portion of a framed piece. Therefore if the glass breaks during shipment it will remain in place and lessen the chance of glass damage to print. I could only imagine the stickiness and headache associated with trying to remove the remaining tape residue! :o

vintagesportscollector
09-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Tape is a good idea. Same principle as applying tape to your windows in a hurricane. Use blue painters tape - it removes easily.

Shoeless Moe
09-02-2016, 12:40 PM
I've shipped 2 HUGE glass pieces in frames via UPS, both arrived no problem.

But I do Bubble Wrap the crap out of it.

1880nonsports
09-02-2016, 01:04 PM
including a pinball machine backglass! Never had a problem. Most were double boxed and wrapped with bubblewrap and secured with peanuts. Occasionally I've shipped wrapped in a cloth moving pad. NEVER use tape on the glass. There's a shrinkwrap like product that acts like tape but leaves absolutely no residue. In the absence of the tape insert a fitted piece of cardboard into the front frame well. One idea along the douple-boxed idea is to wrap a LARGE sheet of cardboard around the item, then bubble wrap, then a box. The sheets can be bought from supply stores - I paid like a dollar a sheet that measured about 30" x 72". Without that just use undone priority boxes :-) I have never removed the glass.
I've shipped with all the carriers occasionally (only when I have to) otherwise 100% USPS. The problem you can encounter with USPS is that the fees go up SIGNIFICANTLY if the overall dimensions exceed something like 108". You pay a very stiff penalty.

brooklynbaseball
09-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Thank you all for the input. I think i'll be okay with the packing part, I was inquiring more towards the shipping. UPS, FedEx or USPS