PDA

View Full Version : Worst possible set to get graded

bbcard1
09-01-2016, 06:25 AM
I hate to see T201s being slabbed. It is a set that is a dichotomy for collectors. To us it as it is intended it to radically reduce the condition. Not to is to waste the purpose of the card...not to mention that Cobb is only properly displayed folded over.

bobbyw8469
09-01-2016, 06:30 AM
I hate top see T201s being slabbed. It is a set that is a dichotomy for collectors. To us it as it is intended it to radically reduce the condition. Not to is to waste the purpose of the card...not to mention that Cobb is only properly displayed folded over.

I forget the name of the set, but there is a topps set that is like an iron-on decal. The image is in reverse (due to it being an iron-on). Looks silly to me.

drcy
09-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Someone once told me he could never own a Lamborghini, because he couldn't enjoy driving it, constantly worrying about it being dented or scraped. I told him that those who have Lamborghinis are rich enough that they own two-- one for driving and one for storing in the garage.

mikemb
09-01-2016, 01:31 PM
I forget the name of the set, but there is a topps set that is like an iron-on decal. The image is in reverse (due to it being an iron-on). Looks silly to me.

1966 Topps Rub-Offs

Mountaineer1999
09-01-2016, 03:52 PM
I hate top see T201s being slabbed. It is a set that is a dichotomy for collectors. To us it as it is intended it to radically reduce the condition. Not to is to waste the purpose of the card...not to mention that Cobb is only properly displayed folded over.

I agree its the t201. Ive started buying some since the set is pretty cool and attainable. I have mostly raw but have gotten a few that were graded by PSA and SGC... they may be released.

vthobby
09-01-2016, 03:58 PM
1988 Topps or Donruss........man that was a mistake! :eek::rolleyes::D :D

Peace, Mike

PS Although that '88 Donruss Al Leiter RC really does "Pop" when its slabbed! I only wish I had gotten higher than a PSA 5 on it! Ugh! :D

09-01-2016, 04:45 PM
1988 Topps or Donruss........man that was a mistake! :eek::rolleyes::D :D

Peace, Mike

PS Although that '88 Donruss Al Leiter RC really does "Pop" when its slabbed! I only wish I had gotten higher than a PSA 5 on it! Ugh! :D

You really missed the point of this thread.

GasHouseGang
09-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Does anyone grade the flip books? That would sort of defeat the purpose of why they were made.

vthobby
09-01-2016, 06:49 PM
You really missed the point of this thread.

you missed mine but I really thought it was not that hard to get. :eek::cool::D

Peace, Mike

seanofjapan
09-01-2016, 07:03 PM
I am in agreement on the fact that grading T201s permanently seals them in "open" position to the detriment of half the players who appear on the backs (like Cobb, Home Run Baker, etc). I guess the same would hold true for the 55 Topps Doubleheaders.

One possible defence is that the thin cardboard the T201s are printed on makes them relatively fragile, so if you`ve got some top condition ones it would be extremely tempting to get them graded just for the peace of mind and buy a reprint set for display....

Kind of robs them of their charm but given their values I can kind of understand it.

Shoeless Moe
09-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Does anyone grade the flip books? That would sort of defeat the purpose of why they were made.

That is hilarious!!!!

conor912
09-01-2016, 08:29 PM

No more ridiculous than packs....

bobbyw8469
09-01-2016, 08:33 PM
I was still waiting for them to grade wrappers. One of the PSA customer service guys I was friendly with told me they had it in the works. Then he got canned. That was years ago. I guess they decided not to grade wrappers.

Head928
09-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Graded comic books. Although I have a few.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-01-2016, 10:08 PM
would love to get B18 blankets slabbed. stop the fraying on the edges etc...

seanofjapan
09-01-2016, 10:29 PM

Graded video games would be up there too if we are expanding the scope beyond baseball cards!

Billy5858
09-02-2016, 03:43 AM

Graded comic books DOES make sense. I'm sure you know some
are worth thousands of dollars. All it takes is one accidental tear and bump
down from a Mint to a EX Mint (or whatever grading system they use)......

Huysmans
09-02-2016, 03:58 AM
Graded comic books DOES make sense. I'm sure you know some
are worth thousands of dollars. All it takes is one accidental tear and bump
down from a Mint to a EX Mint (or whatever grading system they use)......

Yes, but this applies to any item with inherent value on earth.
Damage it.... Value goes down.
And comics were made solely to be read.
Once they're encapsulated, they lose their intended utilitarian purpose.

.... I wouldn't want a Lamborghini (to reference earlier posts) that's parked permanently in a glass garage... When I have no key to the door.

Billy5858
09-02-2016, 09:03 AM

.... I wouldn't want a Lamborghini (to reference earlier posts) that's parked permanently in a glass garage... When I have no key to the door.

Don't agree but I get what you are saying.
I suggest looking into the vintage comic
market. People def do not buy a 1930's vintage
#1 issue Superman worth a million plus to read.
Collecting only.

Huysmans
09-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Don't agree but I get what you are saying.
I suggest looking into the vintage comic
market. People def do not buy a 1930's vintage
#1 issue Superman worth a million plus to read.
Collecting only.

I, unlike you apparently, collected Golden and Silver Age books for decades.
I'm well aware of the market.
The book and value you referenced make up less than 1% of all vintage comics collected, so my point that the overwhelming majority of books will lose their intended purpose is apt.
You'll find that most COLLECTORS, not INVESTORS, will definitely peruse their vintage books. Historically, if the were never read and only collected, the importance of certain issues, and hence, their value... Would be unknown.

BBB
09-02-2016, 09:55 PM
I have a partial t201 set. All graded . Absolutely annoying to store and display. I like having Psa on all my cards for consistency. But this is the one set where that philosophy bites me in the ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeanTown
09-03-2016, 01:33 AM
Zeenuts! Just cut the coupon off and you will get a better grade!

Leon
09-05-2016, 10:46 AM
There are quite a few sets that aren't best suited for grading. T201s don't do well, as noted.

I agree with this sentiment below too. In a perfect world I would have an everyday driver supercar and an almost-never-driven super duper car for the weekends. I could see me collecting high grade comics if I had an every day copy to read too. :cool:

Marslife
09-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Hey All!

I love this set! I have my near master set slabbed with SGC. Love the way they look in the holders and most of all love them all slabbed up and cozy in the plastic. No worries about damage after they are all entombed ( just don't knock them around too much). Not having the Cobb displayed does'nt bother me. I think they do display nicely, just need a LOT of space to line them up.

Here is a shot of my display:

TTYL!

Cliff