PDA

View Full Version : 52 Mantle 311 characteristic noticed

larietrope
08-31-2016, 08:30 AM
Probably pointed out before but I have not seen it mentioned when I researched what characteristics made for a real 311 Mantle Topps.
On the version that has the missing pixil, I've noticed on the back of every authentic card that the "a" in the word games under the red Major and Minor League Batting records did not print out fully.
In looking at close reprints the "a" is clear. I've also noticed the missing pixil is not as pronounced on some graded cards as others.

tedzan
08-31-2016, 09:26 AM
The view of the front of the double-printed Mantle cards shows several obvious differences......

Type 2 .................................................. .................................................. ..................... Type 1

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/tedzan77/52TMantleSGC40_zpsc6162664.jpg....http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/tz1234zaz/mmantle52t.jpg

TED Z

larietrope
08-31-2016, 11:50 AM
I was referring specifically to the pixel version and aware of the other characteristics. The "a" I had not picked up on before now.

MVSNYC
09-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Ted- type 1 & 2 are of equal scarcity? They were double printed on sheet, and each one had slightly different art?

ALR-bishop
09-03-2016, 12:53 PM
I have both variations with my set and do think the differences, front and back, are all tied to the card being a DP. Similar differences exist in the Robinson and Thompson cards, the other DP cards in that series. As DPs I think both versions initially existed in equal quantities.

I was aware that the backs differed in the stitching running either right or left but was unaware of the a anomaly mentioned by the OP. In checking my two cards, the version with the cropped e and uneven star border on the front has the stitching running right and a botched a as the OP mentioned. Another thing to look for in determining if such versions of that card are legit

irv
09-04-2016, 05:06 PM
The view of the front of the double-printed Mantle cards shows several obvious differences......

Type 2 .................................................. .................................................. ..................... Type 1

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/tz1234zaz/mmantle52t.jpg

TED Z

I forget the other members name on here but his Mantle also has the same mark/crease or anomaly to the left of Mick's cheek.

When I noticed mine years ago, I thought it was just wear and tear (crease?) but it seems more than a coincidence now that I have seen a few with the same/similar mark in the same place?:confused:

I have both variations with my set and do think the differences, front and back, are all tied to the card being a DP. Similar differences exist in the Robinson and Thompson cards, the other DP cards in that series. As DPs I think both versions initially existed in equal quantities.

I was aware that the backs differed in the stitching running either right or left but was unaware of the a anomaly mentioned by the OP. In checking my two cards, the version with the cropped e and uneven star border on the front has the stitching running right and a botched a as the OP mentioned. Another thing to look for in determining if such versions of that card are legit

Same. I just looked at my card but I don't notice the "A" like the OP mentioned?