PDA

View Full Version : 100th Anniversary of HB Dutch Leonard's 1st no-hitter

Scott Garner
08-30-2016, 08:05 PM
100th anniversary of ‘Dutch’ Leonard’s Red Sox no-no
by Dirk Lammers

Today's the 100th anniversary of "Dutch" Leonard's first Boston Red Sox no-hitter.
On Wednesday, Aug. 30, 1916, Leonard no-hit the St. Louis Browns at Fenway Park for a 4-0 win. Leonard walked just two late batters, holding on to the perfect game until the eighth inning. He added his second no-hitter two years later.
Also throwing no-hitters on this date are the St. Louis Browns' Earl Hamilton (1912), the St. Louis Cardinals' Lon Warneke (1941) and the Chicago Cubs' Jake Arrieta (2015).
On Friday, August 30, 1912, Hamilton no-hit the Detroit Tigers on the road at Navin Field for a 5-1 win. It was Ty Cobb who single-handedly killed Hamilton's shutout. Cobb reached first on a fourth-inning walk, took second and third on a grounder booted by Browns' second baseman Del Pratt and snagged home on an attempted steal of second. Cobb took off on catcher Walt Alexander's throw to second, then slid around Alexander on the return throw to the plate.
On Saturday, August 30, 1941, at Cincinnati's Crosley Field, Warneke no-hit the Reds for a 2-0 win. Warneke walked just one batter and the AP in its report said Warneke was backed by a strong defense.
“They stopped almost everything, and some of the balls were tagged for greener pastures,” the wire story noted.
At Dodger Stadium on Sunday, August 30, 2015, Arrieta no-hit the Los Angeles Dodgers for a 2-0 win. Arrieta walked just one and fanned 12, blazing through the ninth inning by striking out the side. The only other Dodgers base runner reached on a Starlin Castro error in the third inning, but Castro redeemed himself by reaching out for a liner with two outs in the seventh to save Arrieta’s no-no.
Dirk Lammers | August 30, 2016 at 8:34 pm | URL: http://wp.me/pdFdO-1K6

Here is my no-hit game ball from this game. Only the 2nd no-hitter ever hurled historic Fenway Park!
I've shown this on net54 before, but I thought I would throw it back up there because of the centennial anniversary.
Scott :)

baseball tourist
08-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Nothing older to show, huh Scott ;). Kidding my friend! What a cool item/story.

WillowGrove
08-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Great stuff Scott. Thanks for posting. Hope you've been well.

Scott Garner
08-31-2016, 04:33 AM
Thanks Chris & Peter!

BillyCoxDodgers3B
08-31-2016, 09:08 AM
From his final (partial) season. In spite of pitching his final game a week and a half into July, Dutch still managed an impressive 11-4 record in 1925! He pitched 9 complete games in 18 appearances.