PDA

View Full Version : Prices

Jersey City Giants
08-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Why does it seem like many members think that certain ebay sellers and certain auction houses do not reflect the market prices? I have collected for many years (over 30) and it seems to me that today's technology reaches a far greater audience than the old SCD did back in the day. Hence, I think that some of these values are just a result of a market inflecting up a bit (hopefully not too much as I go for the Monster minus the big guys). I would love to know everyone's thoughts.

Sean
08-30-2016, 11:15 AM
The ebay sellers that many of us think are not reflective of current market prices (ie-overpriced) are the ones who buy a card for $1,100, then relist it a month later with a $2,500 BIN. :rolleyes:

glchen
08-30-2016, 12:18 PM
I think many members are concerned about price manipulation (e.g., shilling, etc.) in the market, which results in the the market prices only being artificially manipulated prices. They add the anecdotal evidence where when a card is for sale via an auction or consignment house, the card goes for record prices. However, when you sell that same card yourself (even through an AH), it doesn't come close to those high prices anymore.

Jersey City Giants
08-30-2016, 12:22 PM
My main hobby is game worn hockey jerseys and I have seen collectors complain about prices being far too high in auctions for years. But the auctions keep getting the prices. I can remember them complaining online about a lot I won and saying how "stupid" that collector (me) was for paying that much (I must admit I thought about admitting myself for evaluation after I won the lot). Yet I have been offered more than I paid by three other collectors post that auction.

I understand manipulation goes on but I think that part of it is the market going up on higher end items.

steve B
08-30-2016, 01:27 PM
If prices were just going up "a bit" that would be normal.

The rise in some stuff is well beyond most of the previous booms I've seen since the late 70's when I started collecting more seriously than just buying packs.
The late 70's and early 80's saw some big jumps in price, mostly because the hobby was becoming more mainstream. It wasn't unusual to see a card double in price over a year or two, (Keeping in mind that pretty much anything from what today would be a solid 5 and up was usually called mint or near mint)

Some of the cards now are going well beyond that. The crazy price thread over in postwar shows a few with increases of 3-5 X in less than 6 months.

considering the prices overall around 1980 were pretty low and massive increases in the overall hobby there was more room and there still weren't price increases of that sort. When a card like a VG ish 57 Aaron goes from $3 to $6 from one year to the next that's pretty easy to see. When cards that are selling for $11K jump to $30K in 3 months that's very unusual.

Steve B

jfkheat
08-30-2016, 01:31 PM
The ebay sellers that many of us think are not reflective of current market prices (ie-overpriced) are the ones who buy a card for $1,100, then relist it a month later with a $2,500 BIN. :rolleyes:

That sounds like at least one member here.
James

ullmandds
08-30-2016, 01:44 PM
James

I think you left out a zero!

bnorth
08-30-2016, 01:49 PM
James

I think you left out a zero!

LOL that is funny Pete even if true. I even seen one of the sellers that has insane prices complain about another member with insane prices, that was priceless.:D

buymycards
08-30-2016, 03:45 PM
When an eBay dealer lists cards for $400 that I can buy elsewhere for $40, and those same high priced cards have been listed on eBay for the past 5 years, then I can assume that these prices do not reflect the market.

Snapolit1
08-30-2016, 04:32 PM
wrong place