PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to say Hello to all

Classic Wax Cards
08-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Hello everyone.

My name is Eric, and although I've read many threads here before, I just registered an account here today. I enjoy the quality info content and the demeanor of the members.

I'm almost 40 years old. I collected heavily as a kid through the junk wax era. in my 20's I collected old cards from the 50's and 60's. In my 30's I tried getting into the current card game...game used, numbered, auto... I just couldn't do it. I do however love some of the newer cards of old classic players. I went back to collecting older cards and started to get into older stuff. 1930's and some tobacco cards. With the prices involved though, I wasn't getting my fill of collecting and physical cards.

Hungry for cards all the same, I decided a year or 2 ago, that I was going to collect a "complete junk wax collection." All the highly sought after cards from when I was a kid. I know them all. I love them all. And I dont really have any anymore. About 6 months ago I started the project. Ive been buying up sets and boxes from various brands and years. I'll generally save a sealed factory set, and then rip a couple sets and/or wax boxes for the best cards in an untouched condition. Ripping sets like that has become like ripping packs and not knowing what you are going to get. You know its in there, but what will the centering and color be like lol. Could be a gem. And I've pulled a few now this way.

Its been very fulfilling starting this junk wax collection. I've only got 5 "sets" done. not really sets, but at least a complete set and several seperate copies of all the star cards or cards of value or interest. I've got another 6 lined up. Everything's here, I just haven't started the ripping yet. It's such a buyers market for junk wax. Easy to collect!

And that leads to me coming here. I'll be upfront about it right away to get it out of the way. I have a few websites. The topic of each is something I'm into to some extent in my personal life. That allows me to chronicle what I'm doing and adds something personal in the industry. I have a few projects like that. I put up some industry related ads and hopefully the site pays for itself. I don't think they do though, but its fun all the same. The aquarium site I do with my daughter though and she gets the money from it which amounts to just a little spending money for a kid.

here's where it gets weird. I'm not trying to plug my site by mentioning it here, but just trying to awkwardly get it out of the way I guess. I started a blog about the cards I've been collecting. It's been a great way for me to get a little further into my collection, and maybe even add something to the industry. I'm writing simple articles on junk wax cards. Basically, they are a several part series for each brand/year that talks about quirky things that are fun to discuss and remember. Its set up so I can ad an article to whatever brand/year, whenever I want. And I do jump between years in the articles.

I'm sure my simple blog and style of writing is far from the levels of what others produce who hang out here who could be reading this. I'm ok with that though. I'm not here to promote it. Although I do acknowledge my link in the sig and the profile and stuff doesn't hurt, It's not really my intent.

What is my intent though is to get a little interesting conversation about some specific junk wax years/sets. I've been churning out articles and I'd like to think they are all original. It gets hard though sometimes trying to write a "Part 4" for something interesting about a particular set/year. I'm pulling it off though. I joined this forum today so I could make posts about a particular year/brand, and maybe explore, or hear some feedback of what people think of that particular product. Like their impressions, opinions, cards they remembered... whatever comes up. I basically don't get to communicate with any other baseball card people over here. I don't have anyone to bounce stuff off of when I'm writting. I hope people would find that both suitable and welcome content for here. It would help stir up some interesting topics for me to write about I think. Or at least give me some things to think about while writing. Like for instance....what set should I tackle next of the 6 I have sitting here lol. It's not my intent to plug my simple site to people here. Just wanted to kinda say that so people knew.

I looked at a lot of forums and very specifically chose this one. and this category. I'd like to participate here. This will be the only baseball card related forum I'll be partaking in.

I look forward to posting and discussing here, and I hope I can be an asset to the community here.

-Eric.

ALR-bishop
08-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Welcome Eric. There are some fairly tough 1980s Topps "junk era" sets, including 1982 Blackless, 1984 Encased, 1985 Minis and 1989 Big Floating Heads

It is ok to be weird here. In fact I think it may be some kind of requirement.

Leon
08-29-2016, 07:51 AM
+1 ...what Al said. Good luck in the quest

Welcome Eric. There are some fairly tough 1980s Topps "junk era" sets, including 1982 Blackless, 1984 Encased, 1985 Minis and 1989 Big Floating Heads

Classic Wax Cards
08-29-2016, 01:47 PM

see... thats why I need this forum and you guys! I've never even heard of those! A couple quick searches and I see what you are talking about. This is great! I've just completed a 1984 build from a couple of hand collected sets and 3 wax boxes. I sorted them all, then pulled the best centered, colored, edged... for a set. Pulled all the star/desirable cards, and just sort of boxed the rest. I still have them though. That sure brings some new life to some old, uninteresting cards. Ill probably research it out, go through my cards, and blog about it. Thanks so much for the comment!

swarmee
08-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the boards.

Bcwcardz
08-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Welcome. What exactly are you working on? Junk wax covers some fun sets.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Classic Wax Cards
08-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Welcome. What exactly are you working on? Junk wax covers some fun sets.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Hi! I collected heavily as a kid from about 84 til the mid 90s.

So I decided to start with 84 Topps and go through about 1992. Id like to have a complete (factory if available) set for each year/brand and also at least 1 of each star/desirable card in a seperate box.

Ive got a few sets done already. Depending on the prices and whats available, Ive been buying up some factory sets and wax boxes and ripping them. I save a set unoped though.

After I complete this, Im going to do the best I can with 83 and earlier. I dont think Ill go past 1992 though.

Zach Wheat
09-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Hey welcome.....just have fun pursuing your interests and ignore the angst. People are passionate about their collecting interests.

Z

Leon
09-12-2016, 07:02 AM
I agree. As I tell new (and other) members all of the time, the forum is what you make of it. IF you want to have fun and learn, you can. If you want to have some drama, you can. If you want to just collect with your friends, you can. One thing is for sure there is some passion in the hobby. This thread was moved from the Post-1980 card area so more can view it...And once again, welcome Eric!!

Hey welcome.....just have fun pursuing your interests and ignore the angst. People are passionate about their collecting interests.

Z

clydepepper
09-12-2016, 08:08 AM
Eric - great to have you joining! Please be sure to ask if you cannot find your way around the site...most of us can find what we're looking for.

Have fun and keep the passion!

-Raymond

divecchia
09-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Welcome aboard, Eric.

Donato

mrvster
09-12-2016, 07:43 PM
you will love it here:)

peace

johnny

Leon
09-14-2016, 08:14 PM
you will love it here:)

peace

johnny

Johnny, you are slipping. No "try on a T206" ? :)