PDA

View Full Version : Facsimile Balls

mrmopar
08-24-2016, 03:38 PM
I have tried to contact sellers about these balls on occasion and most seem to appreciate it that I am alerting them to a preprint yet some get nasty about it. I have mostly given up on contacting people now but just sent this seller an email to see if/how they reply. I had to save it just in case it disappears. I did ask to see the Beckett cert, if it was in fact for this exact ball. That would be a keeper for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-All-Star-Game-Autographed-Baseball-Authenticated-By-Beckett-Free-Shipping-/191953526641?hash=item2cb1525f71:g:ZREAAOSw65FXvgI I

mrmopar
08-24-2016, 04:36 PM
The seller replied, indicating they were selling for another party and added the certificate to the listing.

RichardSimon
08-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Funny how they don't picture the cert though.

RichardSimon
08-25-2016, 07:57 AM
I am doing this (buying and selling graphs) for so many years and I am constantly offered these facsimile baseballs as the real thing.
People swear to me that I am wrong when I tell them that. "Grandpa was at the game and he knew so and so and gramps told me this ball would be worth a lot of money someday" is the standard answer.
"sorry to inform you but grandpa told you a tall tale" and then they howl and tell me what do I know.

RichardSimon
08-25-2016, 09:30 AM
I just took a look at the actual auction which has been ended by the seller.
There is a "Certificate of Review" from Beckett indicating the item is a "superstar auto ball" Beckett once again shines :D

frankbmd
08-25-2016, 09:53 AM
I would have serious reservations about any collector who keeps his balls on his keyboard.;)

D.P.Johnson
08-25-2016, 10:31 AM
They're facsimile balls Frank...

steve B
08-25-2016, 11:10 AM
All kidding and Beckett goofs aside, has anyone ever put together any sort of list of facsimile balls?

I have one I got back when I was a kid. Tried a couple times to figure out what it might be a souvenir of, but made no real headway. Players from different teams, but I don't think they all played in any all-star game.

I occasionally consider collecting them, I sort of like collecting things that aren't well cataloged or popular.

Steve B

mrmopar
08-25-2016, 11:20 PM
I was going to assume the best for Beckett and say that the cert went with a different, but real ball, as there is nothing linking the two together. however, if Beckett did certify this preprint ball, then I don't even have a comment…
[
QUOTE=RichardSimon;1576789]I just took a look at the actual auction which has been ended by the seller.
There is a "Certificate of Review" from Beckett indicating the item is a "superstar auto ball" Beckett once again shines :D[/QUOTE]