PDA

View Full Version : Conlons in the NY Times...

GKreindler
08-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Hey all,

I just caught this piece in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/sports/baseball/archive-of-charles-m-conlons-historic-baseball-photos-on-auction.html

It's great to see that classic baseball photography (be they original prints or negatives) is finally getting some press along with all of the other crazy sales of memorabilia and cards that have been going on this past year.

Just thought y'all might dig the read. I'm VERY curious to see where the ceiling ends up on this thing...and perhaps more importantly, who ends up being the caretaker of Conlon's lifelong artistry.

Graig

horzverti
08-24-2016, 08:53 PM
Nice write up. Thanks for sharing. A few more days until the hammer drops.

Vintageclout
08-25-2016, 07:54 AM
A superb description of one of the finest memorabilia gatherings in the hobby, and it is nice to see the original Conlon negatives receiving the recognition they truly merit. Kudos to Henry Yee for his elaborate account of this world class compilation that truly stands as the "Holy Grail" of photography collectibles.

Joe T.

MVSNYC
08-29-2016, 06:42 AM
Think it was around $1.7M, or so?

Wow.

Stunning archive, to put it mildly.

prewarsports
08-29-2016, 08:54 AM
All things considered that is a very reasonable price.

Forever Young
08-29-2016, 10:18 AM
I wish I had the money to buy that one...
Heritage sold it right.. they kept it together and got a great price considering the limited amount of time and bidders.

If this was split up, it would sell for double or more IMO.. it would take time and additional resources, however.

To echo Rhys: It was a good price for the winner with all things considered. Man, I wish I won that lottery Saturday night or it would have been mine. I am the guy talking about negatives and photos in the "if you won the lottery" discussions.

I also believe the hammer was strong considering the short amount of time it was given to roll out coupled with the small audience who could afford such an item. It says a lot about Heritage and their reach.. they did a great job.

jbsports33
08-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the link!

jimmy

ruth-gehrig
08-29-2016, 06:33 PM
It will in interesting to learn the fate of the collection. Will it stay together or get pieced out?

MVSNYC
08-30-2016, 05:15 AM
So, does the new owner now have all the rights to those images? How does that work?