PDA

View Full Version : BVG to SGC crossover

dio
08-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Alright guys, recently acquire this and sent to SGC for crossover. what you guys think?

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/dioworld/Cards/55_aaron_5.5F.jpeg (http://s578.photobucket.com/user/dioworld/media/Cards/55_aaron_5.5F.jpeg.html)

Stonepony
08-23-2016, 01:15 PM
4.5-5

Stonepony
08-23-2016, 01:16 PM
double post

Neal
08-23-2016, 02:31 PM
If no minimum grade was requested, it looks like an SGC 60 to me. I own one, and it looks fantastic in an SGC slab!

Good luck!

DeanH3
08-23-2016, 05:12 PM
Beauty of a card. If there are no hidden surface wrinkles, I can see that in an SGC 70 holder. Again, wonderful card. It's a keeper regardless of grade. Good luck.

RayBShotz
08-23-2016, 05:19 PM
That tiny little crease in the upper left corner might put this in an SGC50 holder without a minimum grade.
Otherwise it has great eye appeal. Let's hope they ignore what I've point out. Besides that it could easily be a 60 or a 70.
Best of Luck with the cross.
RayB

Please post the grade when you get it back.

dio
08-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you guys know how it turns out . just shipped it out today.

orly57
08-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Sgc is about 45 minutes from where I live. I have crossed over quite a few (around 20) cards from BVG to SGC. My stats are something like this:

50% were a half grade reduction
20% were a full grade reduction (or more)
20% didnt meet the min grade
10% were deemed trimmed

Not ONE card crossed over with the same grade. When the grader sees its in a bvg holder he goes into it ready to attack the card and prove how much tougher sgc is than bvg. My 1955 Topps All Anerican Thorpe that once sat in a BVG 8 holder currently resides in an SGC 86. But this is the one that hurts the worst...it WAS in a bvg 7:

Johnny630
08-24-2016, 05:32 AM
That's a really nice 54 Mantle!

KCRfan1
08-24-2016, 06:52 AM
Orly,

Are you still crossing over to SGC from other graders?

orly57
08-24-2016, 12:32 PM
No Lou. I just dont like BVG. I am ocd (as most of us around here are) and i just cant stand to see my cards in bvg holders.

dio
09-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Just a quick update. I just heard from SGC yesterday, he told me , the grader without cracking it, can only give it a 5 minimum as base. He said it's possible to get a higher grade if they crack it out. So they're giving me the choice to accept a minimum grade of 5 to see if i want to crack it out and do a real grading on the card.

Now i think the problem with the crossover service is not that the grading company is on attack mode on the card that's in the holder , but they do not want to risk cracking it out and found out to force to give the card a lower grade it doesn't deserve. PSA is even more careful on cards especially gai/gem those company because of the reputation of slapping trim/altered cards.

I'll accept the minimum 5 and hope for the best.

JustinD
09-23-2016, 10:36 AM
This is the case with every grading company in my opinion.

IMO the only way to get an honest opinion is to crack before sending as they will all go on the attack to prove they are stricter than the previous company. It becomes a egotistic chest bumping exercise.

Exhibitman
09-23-2016, 10:49 AM
My last cross-over was from SGC to PSA and it dropped half a grade. I would have cracked it out instead but I was at the National and pressed for time to get it done.

What really cracks me up is the review process. Pay PSA a second time and they will admit they screwed up the first time. They don't even do a good job the first time...but I have to pay? My favorite crack and resub story is the PSA 2 1954 Bowman Maglie that I bought, cracked and sent in that came back a 7. Gorgeous card, FUBARed initial grading.

The services each have their own biases. An instructive episode would be the one I had at the last National. I bought a card from the second owner, a friend, who acquired it about 30 years ago from the original owner. He sent it to PSA and it was returned for minimum size. A stupid position, frankly, since it measured just fine. FWIW, minsize appears to be the PSA freak position: I have had cards straight from vending and packs rejected for minsize. Idiots. Anyway, I had some modern going to Beckett anyway, so I gave them the card. They rejected it as trimmed and sanded and beveled. Real whack-o conspiracy stuff. They readily slab trimmed (sheet cut) cards, so I am not exactly confident there. I then took it to SGC and they graded it a 2.5, which was fair for the card. Three TPGs, three opinions. All horse$hit IMO but that is how the modern card collecting biz goes. You want to play, you deal with the players.

toledo_mudhen
09-24-2016, 05:21 AM
Sgc is about 45 minutes from where I live. I have crossed over quite a few (around 20) cards from BVG to SGC. My stats are something like this:

50% were a half grade reduction
20% were a full grade reduction (or more)
20% didnt meet the min grade
10% were deemed trimmed

Not ONE card crossed over with the same grade. When the grader sees its in a bvg holder he goes into it ready to attack the card and prove how much tougher sgc is than bvg. My 1955 Topps All Anerican Thorpe that once sat in a BVG 8 holder currently resides in an SGC 86. But this is the one that hurts the worst...it WAS in a bvg 7:

FWIW - I have NEVER had a Beckett 7 cross over to an SGC 84 (or better). Probably talking about 25-30 attempts. I have stopped buying anything in a Beckett Slab.

Bretsky
09-24-2016, 06:01 PM
This is the case with every grading company in my opinion.

IMO the only way to get an honest opinion is to crack before sending as they will all go on the attack to prove they are stricter than the previous company. It becomes a egotistic chest bumping exercise.

This...the only way to get a fair assessment is to crack it out. Is there a risk to it, yes. But I have cracked out SGC and BVG then sent them to PSA with decent results.

orly57
09-25-2016, 09:01 PM
FWIW - I have NEVER had a Beckett 7 cross over to an SGC 84 (or better). Probably talking about 25-30 attempts. I have stopped buying anything in a Beckett Slab.

Me neither. I think you misread. My Thorpe was in a BVG 8 holder and was kocked a full grade down to an sgc 84 (7). It was my 54 bowman mantle that went from a bvg 7 to an sgc 5.5. I dont buy anything in a bvg holder anymore. And I agree with the last poster: you are better off cracking and submitting than sending a crossover. No company will give you a higher grade and risk appearing more lenient. Hell, you would be lucky if they kept the existing grade.

toledo_mudhen
09-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Anecdotal for sure but I have had 1 PSA 8 Cross to a SGC 92 and that has been recently (about 2 months back). I left it slabbed and asked for an 88 Minimum. So there is that.

dio
09-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Finally got the grade, after they cracking out , they re evaluate and it did cross with the same grade.

1 1955 Topps 47 HANK AARON 70