PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps

ALR-bishop
08-22-2016, 09:45 PM
According to Bob Lemke's article in the current edition of SCD only 44 of the players, coaches and managers pictured in the Topps 1952 set survive. The most recent casualty, Turk Lown

Republicaninmass
08-23-2016, 05:57 AM
Rip, Mr Lown. A great responder ttm to his fans

vintagewhitesox
08-23-2016, 06:03 AM
Al, any truth to the long time story that Topps dumped a bunch of the hi #s in the ocean, which accounts for the rarity of those cards?

autograf
08-23-2016, 06:42 AM
I think Cy Berger of Topps fame was the one who said that and if he did, it's probably true. I know they're a pain in the butt to pick up. I'm up to 43 of the 97 now. And no Mantle. Powerball's up above $100M tomorrow night, so guess I'd better get out and get my ticket.

I'm up to about 80 autographed now after adding Kretlow, Snider, Irvin and Ashburn from National purchases.

Love some 1952 Topps. A beautiful set........64 years old, so any survivors have to be mid-80's at least. Like the greatest generation, they're dropping fast.

Leon
08-23-2016, 06:47 AM
I think Cy Berger of Topps fame was the one who said that and if he did, it's probably true. I know they're a pain in the butt to pick up. I'm up to 43 of the 97 now. And no Mantle. Powerball's up above $100M tomorrow night, so guess I'd better get out and get my ticket.

I'm up to about 80 autographed now after adding Kretlow, Snider, Irvin and Ashburn from National purchases.

Love some 1952 Topps. A beautiful set........64 years old, so any survivors have to be mid-80's at least. Like the greatest generation, they're dropping fast.

Been looking for high numbers for a short while. They don't come cheaply and aren't abundant, that is for sure.....

ALR-bishop
08-23-2016, 08:21 AM
Sorry, pulled a Bob here

ALR-bishop
08-23-2016, 08:22 AM
I think Berger started that rumor to cover the fact he was inserting the leftovers in Christmas rack packs :)

I do not think that hobby legend has ever been fully substantiated, but think Berger did encourage it. I think it is just as logical that not nearly as many high number sheets were produced in the later portions of that summer. Good thing the Mantle was a DP

The high numbers are easier to find and cheaper than the gray back "Canadians" at this point

Republicaninmass
08-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Just like the gray backs, so,e highs are more easily found than others. I've been trying to find new signed examples when I can, but it's become increasing difficult. If I find more than one every few months I'm ecstatic

Exhibitman
08-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Well considering that the set was issued only 7 years after the war and the men on it were adults at the time, not surprising they are dying off. They are mostly in their 80s or 90s by now.

As for the set itself, it will always be a fave. and not for the Mantle, which I've never owned and likely never will. My first old card was a 1952 Topps Dropo (still have it). I got this one signed decades ago and still have it:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/Feller.jpg

ALR-bishop
08-23-2016, 11:45 AM
The Feller is listed by many, including the H&S superset, as a card with a variation. The difference is said to involve the fact some cards have clearly visible slats while others have virtually no slats

toppcat
08-23-2016, 04:21 PM
I've been on record regarding the highs and don't buy the garbage scow story for a second. If the cards were, in fact, destroyed, they most likely were tossed in the furnace at Bush Terminal as Topps would not have spent the money if they could have just lit them up. I realize they had access to a dock at the facility but Bush Terminal had its own trash and garbage disposal facility as it was essentially a self-contained industrial facility (originally a self contained military facility).

My belief is they printed the highs in the same or slightly lesser quantities as the semi-highs and then slowly sold off excess product and returns in other countries before the remainder went off to Card Collectors Company in the mid to late 50's. CCC in their March 1968 catalog still had complete high number runs for $90 and sold singles for a buck when first series cards went for 20 cents and semi highs for .15. Regular cards were 12 cents otherwise. Personally, I'd say Topps was on a commission basis with CCC and it was in their interest to keep the high number market inflated. Just a theory but I don't believe the garbage scow story and Sy Berger told a lot of whoppers about Topps over the years.

It's interesting to me that the highs on the PSA pop report only seem to be about 25% scarcer than the semi-highs. I doubt the ratio is that exact but the semi's and the highs are not all that far apart in terms of availability. Let's face it, the highs are not that scarce.

irv
08-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Been looking for high numbers for a short while. They don't come cheaply and aren't abundant, that is for sure.....

That is what I have found as well.

Although I have quite a few high number cards, when looking for lower numbered commons, those are by far the most I see.

When I do see high numbered cards, I see most have no trouble getting high dollars for them, especially when listed on PWCC, but it is surprising similar cards don't fetch that when they are just listed by an everyday seller on E-Bay? :confused:

I've been on record regarding the highs and don't buy the garbage scow story for a second. If the cards were, in fact, destroyed, they most likely were tossed in the furnace at Bush Terminal as Topps would not have spent the money if they could have just lit them up. I realize they had access to a dock at the facility but Bush Terminal had its own trash and garbage disposal facility as it was essentially a self-contained industrial facility (originally a self contained military facility).

My belief is they printed the highs in the same or slightly lesser quantities as the semi-highs and then slowly sold off excess product and returns in other countries before the remainder went off to Card Collectors Company in the mid to late 50's. CCC in their March 1968 catalog still had complete high number runs for $90 and sold singles for a buck when first series cards went for 20 cents and semi highs for .15. Regular cards were 12 cents otherwise. Personally, I'd say Topps was on a commission basis with CCC and it was in their interest to keep the high number market inflated. Just a theory but I don't believe the garbage scow story and Sy Berger told a lot of whoppers about Topps over the years.

It's interesting to me that the highs on the PSA pop report only seem to be about 25% scarcer than the semi-highs. I doubt the ratio is that exact but the semi's and the highs are not all that far apart in terms of availability. Let's face it, the highs are not that scarce.

I have always heard/believed they were dumped in the ocean, but your theories also sound like a possibility?

I do disagree, however, that high numbers are just as abundant as as lower numbers, but for all I know, maybe people are just hanging onto them? :confused:

I recently got around to re-scanning all my cards, just trying to figure out/get around to uploading them to collector's focus.

Some card are obviously better than others, but it was humbling the details I now see after re-scanning them:(

Bcwcardz
08-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Where does the ocean dump story come from. I know it's been legend for years but were there any witnesses to it, like seeing stacks of cards on a barge ect. ?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Leon
08-24-2016, 06:38 AM
As someone who has only scoured for high numbers for a very short while it seems they are more scarce even if they aren't. Searches on the bay will prove it out....not totally accurate but it should be some reflection. I believe I have around 15 high numbers that should be delivered today or tomorrow. And whomever has them isn't giving them away either!!

edited to add, I always give serious consideration to what Toppcat says concerning Topps. :)

Republicaninmass
08-24-2016, 07:55 AM

Said nobody....ever

Maybe the reports are skewed as even a high number in psa 1 is worth quite a bit more than the grading fee? Except for the SP's in the high #200s, the highs, and a few in particular, are very tough. Try going to a show and finding any, and ask the dealers how quickly they sell.

SMPEP
08-24-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm not buying a 25% difference between the 5th and 6th series either. The 5th series cards are graded when they are in great condition. The 6th series cards are graded in any condition. You want a better reflection of the differences - try looking at PSA 7 5th series versus PSA 6th series cards. I still think that would be a bit inflated (as the last cards issued in each year were less novel and I bet they got destroyed less), but it would be a better proxy.

Cheers,
Patrick

ALR-bishop
08-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Back up for Dave's point about availability of high numbers at fairly low prices in later 60s

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img064.jpg

Republicaninmass
08-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Thanks Al, only 10x a low number

GasHouseGang
08-24-2016, 10:59 AM
Wow, so in 1967 you could get the entire 1952 Topps set for $125, including high numbers. According to one of the inflation calculators on-line, that would be around $900 in todays money. I guess the cards have done better than inflation!

toppcat
08-24-2016, 04:08 PM
I didn't say the ratio of semi's vs high's was exact based on PSA reports but 1952 high numbers are not scarce. They are expensive, which is a different thing and there is high demand but they are pretty easy to find and if you had the $$ you could get them all within a month I'd wager. I put together all the Dodgers high number cards (16 total IIRC) quite easily a few years back.

Kind of amazing that when Mantle was active, his 1952 card had zero premium but his more recent cards did.

Zach Wheat
08-24-2016, 04:17 PM
I think Berger started that rumor to cover the fact he was inserting the leftovers in Christmas rack packs :)

I do not think that hobby legend has ever been fully substantiated, but think Berger did encourage it. I think it is just as logical that not nearly as many high number sheets were produced in the later portions of that summer. Good thing the Mantle was a DP

The high numbers are easier to find and cheaper than the gray back "Canadians" at this point

I believe in the original SCD article on the 52 Topps set, which had an interview with Berger he did substantiate that that story was true....regarding a barge full of 52 Topps high numbers being dumped into the ocean off of NJ. As is suggested I wouldn't put it past him to have used that story....if it is true or not....to promote the set.

I am traveling, but I saved a copy of that article.

mikemb
08-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Back up for Dave's point about availability of high numbers at fairly low prices in later 60s

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img064.jpg

Yea, and 5 years later when I was 15 years old, making $2.00 an hour and could afford to buy them, they were gone! Below is a page from the 1972 Wholesale Cards Co. catalogue (Bruce Yeko).

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/mikemb_photos/IMG_0001_zpsi578qlqh.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/mikemb_photos/media/IMG_0001_zpsi578qlqh.jpg.html)

ALR-bishop
08-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks for posting that Mike. Missed it by that much....:)

egri
08-25-2016, 10:47 AM
According to Bob Lemke's article in the current edition of SCD only 44 of the players, coaches and managers pictured in the Topps 1952 set survive. The most recent casualty, Turk Lown

RIP Mr. Lown. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and wouldn't speak about it when he returned. A few years ago, Woody Paige did a column on Lown (http://www.denverpost.com/2014/05/24/paige-pueblos-turk-lown-defines-honor-on-and-off-the-baseball-field/), and when he tried to ask about the war, Lown shut him down.

He signed TTM for me about two years ago.

ALR-bishop
08-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Scott---thanks much for that link

autograf
08-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Fantastic article. Never get tired reading those guys and how they structured their lives after baseball...stories about their wives and families and all that. Reminds me of my grandparents. Also and how baseball wasn't the cash cow that made the players set for life...at least most of them. They played cause they loved it and it was a living although not a huge one in most cases. He made it to 90, married 65 years with kids and grandkids. Most of us would sign on the dotted line right now.............

autograf
08-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Just checked.......I have a single autographed 1952 high number.....you guessed it......Turk Lown.....

irv
08-26-2016, 07:05 AM
[I]

Maybe the reports are skewed as even a high number in psa 1 is worth quite a bit more than the grading fee? Except for the SP's in the high #200s, the highs, and a few in particular, are very tough. Try going to a show and finding any, and ask the dealers how quickly they sell.

Where can I find that info on which ones are tough to come by?
I notice, when looking on E-Bay, cards I have never seen before get a lot of bids and are gobbled up quickly, but that is all I have to go by.

I'm not buying a 25% difference between the 5th and 6th series either. The 5th series cards are graded when they are in great condition. The 6th series cards are graded in any condition. You want a better reflection of the differences - try looking at PSA 7 5th series versus PSA 6th series cards. I still think that would be a bit inflated (as the last cards issued in each year were less novel and I bet they got destroyed less), but it would be a better proxy.

Cheers,
Patrick

I have been told to get all my high numbers graded quite a few times, regardless of the condition, and I guess I likely should?

Yea, and 5 years later when I was 15 years old, making $2.00 an hour and could afford to buy them, they were gone! Below is a page from the 1972 Wholesale Cards Co. catalogue (Bruce Yeko).

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/mikemb_photos/IMG_0001_zpsi578qlqh.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/mikemb_photos/media/IMG_0001_zpsi578qlqh.jpg.html)

Interesting. Even way back then collectors were snapping up the high series numbers.
Thanks for posting that up.

Just checked.......I have a single autographed 1952 high number.....you guessed it......Turk Lown.....

I love hearing things like this! :)

autograf
08-26-2016, 09:49 AM
I was helping a friend at the National some and this year he had a 52 high series set minus Mantle and Matthews. Most were in the VGEX range with few higher and some lower. He had them individually priced pretty reasonably as usual. I bought 5-6 including the Jackie Robinson (about a 2) and he sold almost all of them, usually in batches of 5-7 cards for $700-$1000 without stars. All were ungraded, most were uncreased, general centering issues. They are extremely hot. Now.....is that because they are so scarce, or because they are so expensive we all wait till the end to work on them. Who knows. I'm slowly chipping away at them until I win the Powerball and then I'll knock out the Mantle. It'll be $100K for a VG3 by then probably but shouldn't be an issue with Powerball winnings.

irv
08-26-2016, 11:27 AM
I was helping a friend at the National some and this year he had a 52 high series set minus Mantle and Matthews. Most were in the VGEX range with few higher and some lower. He had them individually priced pretty reasonably as usual. I bought 5-6 including the Jackie Robinson (about a 2) and he sold almost all of them, usually in batches of 5-7 cards for $700-$1000 without stars. All were ungraded, most were uncreased, general centering issues. They are extremely hot. Now.....is that because they are so scarce, or because they are so expensive we all wait till the end to work on them. Who knows. I'm slowly chipping away at them until I win the Powerball and then I'll knock out the Mantle. It'll be $100K for a VG3 by then probably but shouldn't be an issue with Powerball winnings.

That is what I am waiting for too, only up here it is called Lotto. (6/49, Lotto-Max, etc)

I already have my Mantle, Mays and Robinson, but I still get angry knowing my Uncle had a Mathews, and a few other nice high number cards, but decided to sell them years ago even after I mentioned I'd purchase them if he ever decided to sell. :mad:

autograf
08-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Yeah.....I'd be a little miffed about that too. Plus all I've seen you post are in nice shape for the most part. My Mathews is a VG3 but looks nice but O/C.

irv
08-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Yeah.....I'd be a little miffed about that too. Plus all I've seen you post are in nice shape for the most part. My Mathews is a VG3 but looks nice but O/C.

Yeah, it's too bad, and I honestly don't know what he was thinking, but considering some of his previous behavior I have seen over the years from him, I guess I shouldn't really be too surprised, unfortunately. :(

Thanks. :)

I recently re-scanned all my 52 Topps cards using the dark room/lid open technique and was surprised to see some of the details I hadn't seen before.

Personally, for the most part, I thought some of my cards were in better shape than what they are. I seen some lines/creases/dinged corners that I never noticed like this before, (on some cards) but considering they are 64 years old and likely enjoyed by my Father, I am still very grateful/thankful to own them.:)

dealme
08-27-2016, 01:20 PM
but considering they are 64 years old and likely enjoyed by my Father, I am still very grateful/thankful to own them.:)

This is something that has always drawn me to the early Topps issues. My father was born in 1944, was a huge baseball fan growing up, and collected. These early Topps issues would have been right in his wheelhouse. I get a kick out of owning some of the cards that he likely owned as a kid. Two or three times a year, I'll show him some of my recent acquisitions, and it usually leads to me getting to hear him tell stories of his childhood neighborhood (which I thoroughly enjoy :)).

irv
08-28-2016, 03:19 PM
This is something that has always drawn me to the early Topps issues. My father was born in 1944, was a huge baseball fan growing up, and collected. These early Topps issues would have been right in his wheelhouse. I get a kick out of owning some of the cards that he likely owned as a kid. Two or three times a year, I'll show him some of my recent acquisitions, and it usually leads to me getting to hear him tell stories of his childhood neighborhood (which I thoroughly enjoy :)).

Me too!

Love owning them now knowing that these cards were once my Fathers!

I am hoping to do the same with my son, pass my collections onto him when the time comes. :)

almostdone
08-28-2016, 08:54 PM
My dad was born in 42 and while he has always been a big baseball fan he said he never really collected cards as a kid out side of a few random packs. The thing is every time he looks at my collection, which is displayed chronological, he always pauses when he sees the 56 Topps cards and says "there is something oddly familiar about these". Makes me hope maybe he will find a few cards tucked away somewhere. I would absolutely love to have a few cards I knew he pulled from a pack.

A few years ago he gave me his high school baseball glove and ball signed by his teammates. I would build a display for it and his cards and it would be the new center piece of my collection.

As a side note, and little plug to a great friend and fellow net54 member, campyfan39 (hi Chris) wrote a book called "Buying Back Dad's Cards" which tells the familiar story a boy, Chris' father, whose cards got thrown out only to be slowly required over decades by him and his son. Great book for a collector who has a family connection to collecting.

Drew

irv
08-29-2016, 05:45 PM
My dad was born in 42 and while he has always been a big baseball fan he said he never really collected cards as a kid out side of a few random packs. The thing is every time he looks at my collection, which is displayed chronological, he always pauses when he sees the 56 Topps cards and says "there is something oddly familiar about these". Makes me hope maybe he will find a few cards tucked away somewhere. I would absolutely love to have a few cards I knew he pulled from a pack.

A few years ago he gave me his high school baseball glove and ball signed by his teammates. I would build a display for it and his cards and it would be the new center piece of my collection.

As a side note, and little plug to a great friend and fellow net54 member, campyfan39 (hi Chris) wrote a book called "Buying Back Dad's Cards" which tells the familiar story a boy, Chris' father, whose cards got thrown out only to be slowly required over decades by him and his son. Great book for a collector who has a family connection to collecting.

Drew

My Father was born in 1939 and in all honesty, other than a few cards lighting up the memory train for him, he really doesn't recall purchasing them.

We have talked and talked trying to piece things together (just recently, and quite the memory for a 77 yr old!) but he honestly doesn't know where they came from if he didn't buy them himself?

He remembers receiving his Beehive hockey cards from a employer friend and purchasing his own once he received them, but the 52's escape him.

We/he concluded, there is a good chance he received them from his Uncle Sam, (seen here in this pic of the 58 WS with Mickey Mantle) but even then, I think he is just trying to put an end to the puzzle?

Not that I am trying to replace my Father's lost cards, but rather add to the collection he gave me as a way of dedicating/thanking him for them, I think the book would be a great read as I am sure some similarities exist.

ALR-bishop
08-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Irv-- how in the world did you work hockey into this thread ?

Only kidding , great post

dealme
08-29-2016, 07:41 PM

Drew

I just ordered a copy....looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the heads up.

Mark

Shoebox
08-30-2016, 10:46 AM
edited to add, I always give serious consideration to what Toppcat says concerning Topps. :)

Big +1 to that.

ALR-bishop
08-30-2016, 11:00 AM
I always considered Toppcat a mere front cat. Benny was the real brains of the gang.

mikemb
08-30-2016, 12:01 PM
I always considered Toppcat a mere front cat. Benny was the real brains of the gang.

Do Toppcat's close friends get to call him T.C.?

Harliduck
08-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Thought I would share my 52 Topps story on this thread...just call me Merkle

In the early 80's we had a card shop an hour or so away that had a huge vintage inventory (Mike Kramers (?) who ended up making cards himself, in Lynnwood WA), and I even met Bob Feller there (who was rude, and hit on my mom in front of me...awkward for a 12 year old!!!) Anyway, I would save up my money for the once or twice a summer visit when my parents would take me, and I would annoy the counter person with a list of vintage commons so I could simply have a card from that year. I used to buy players like Clay Carroll and Jim Kaat because they had decent long careers and I could get my different years covered. I remember I bought a 52 Topps Billy Johnson, and thought it was SO COOL to have a card from Topps first year.

Fast forward to late 80's....I met a local retired teacher who collected cards. I ironically met him at a Mariners game and he traded me some beat up 63 fleers for some new fleer cards, and considering I had never seen those before I was in awe. He lived in my hometown and invited our family over a week later to trade some cards. SUPER cool great guy...and for the next couple of years, I caught him up on the new stuff (yikes, junk), and he traded me 50's and 60's vintage, although almost his entire collection that I would see was creased, written on, ect...as he got most of his cards from his students in the 50's and 60's.

One day I brought my 52 Billy to show him as I didn't think he had any 52 cards. Well, he did...and brought out a little stack of around 30 cards and gifted them to me, said they were doubles. I can't remember what I gave him as I would never just take a gift, but I was STOKED to have that many...and all were crease free and really nice. Thinking back probably VG-EX...which were rare for him, haha. He then let me know that his private collection in back in a safe and he didn't like advertising to anyone what he had, and asked that I keep that secret...which I always have. Through the next couple of years he would slowly show me some of the stuff he had, amazing post war gems...including a 65 Namath rookie that he actually called me one day and said I could have it if I bought him a ticket to Florida for his fathers funeral...which I did (a lot of money for a 19 year old!!)

When I stopped collecting in 91 or so, I lost touch with my friend. I would see him riding his bike occasionally around town (he was kind of eccentric) and he would wave at me, but that's it. I moved into a new house in 2001, and when I dug out all my cards, I found my vintage box. Most were the beat up cards I got from him...and then I saw it...the forgotten stack of 52s! I took the cards, minus the Billy of course which I still have, and put them up on ebay as a lot. I listed the numbers and took a picture of the stack and then of a few of the better looking cards (total newbie, one of the first things I ever listed). I was hoping for like 50 bucks....WELL....call me stupid but I had NO IDEA there were high numbers and that they were of any extra value. The stack went for $150, and I was shocked! THEN...when I realized what I just sold, my stomach hurt as I mailed them out to the very lucky buyer. I remember to this day a few, I had George Crowe, Frank Crossti, and Hal Rice in that group, can't remember the numbers. There may have been a couple more high #'s, but at this point ignorance of what I totally sold is probably best. They were all commons, but wow, did I ever screw up.

Lesson very much learned! My friend is still alive, I drive by his house every once in a while. Fun to know that he probably still has a nice little cache of 52 cards with high numbers. There are times when I want to swing in, but what do you say to a 90 plus year old after all these years...want to sell me your cards?? Haha. He has one son who I know didn't care for his cards back in the day, wonder if they are still even there...

Does anyone out there have a 2002ish story of buying a stack of 52's on ebay with high numbers in them from an unknowingly idiotic seller? Well, that would be ME...

bnorth
08-30-2016, 12:59 PM

In the early 80's we had a card shop an hour or so away that had a huge vintage inventory (Mike Kramers (?) who ended up making cards himself, in Lynnwood WA), and I even met Bob Feller there (who was rude, and hit on my mom in front of me...awkward for a 12 year old!!!) Anyway, I would save up my money for the once or twice a summer visit when my parents would take me, and I would annoy the counter person with a list of vintage commons so I could simply have a card from that year. I used to buy players like Clay Carroll and Jim Kaat because they had decent long careers and I could get my different years covered. I remember I bought a 52 Topps Billy Johnson, and thought it was SO COOL to have a card from Topps first year.

Fast forward to late 80's....I met a local retired teacher who collected cards. I ironically met him at a Mariners game and he traded me some beat up 63 fleers for some new fleer cards, and considering I had never seen those before I was in awe. He lived in my hometown and invited our family over a week later to trade some cards. SUPER cool great guy...and for the next couple of years, I caught him up on the new stuff (yikes, junk), and he traded me 50's and 60's vintage, although almost his entire collection that I would see was creased, written on, ect...as he got most of his cards from his students in the 50's and 60's.

One day I brought my 52 Billy to show him as I didn't think he had any 52 cards. Well, he did...and brought out a little stack of around 30 cards and gifted them to me, said they were doubles. I can't remember what I gave him as I would never just take a gift, but I was STOKED to have that many...and all were crease free and really nice. Thinking back probably VG-EX...which were rare for him, haha. He then let me know that his private collection in back in a safe and he didn't like advertising to anyone what he had, and asked that I keep that secret...which I always have. Through the next couple of years he would slowly show me some of the stuff he had, amazing post war gems...including a 65 Namath rookie that he actually called me one day and said I could have it if I bought him a ticket to Florida for his fathers funeral...which I did (a lot of money for a 19 year old!!)

When I stopped collecting in 91 or so, I lost touch with my friend. I would see him riding his bike occasionally around town (he was kind of eccentric) and he would wave at me, but that's it. I moved into a new house in 2001, and when I dug out all my cards, I found my vintage box. Most were the beat up cards I got from him...and then I saw it...the forgotten stack of 52s! I took the cards, minus the Billy of course which I still have, and put them up on ebay as a lot. I listed the numbers and took a picture of the stack and then of a few of the better looking cards (total newbie, one of the first things I ever listed). I was hoping for like 50 bucks....WELL....call me stupid but I had NO IDEA there were high numbers and that they were of any extra value. The stack went for $150, and I was shocked! THEN...when I realized what I just sold, my stomach hurt as I mailed them out to the very lucky buyer. I remember to this day a few, I had George Crowe, Frank Crossti, and Hal Rice in that group, can't remember the numbers. There may have been a couple more high #'s, but at this point ignorance of what I totally sold is probably best. They were all commons, but wow, did I ever screw up.

Lesson very much learned! My friend is still alive, I drive by his house every once in a while. Fun to know that he probably still has a nice little cache of 52 cards with high numbers. There are times when I want to swing in, but what do you say to a 90 plus year old after all these years...want to sell me your cards?? Haha. He has one son who I know didn't care for his cards back in the day, wonder if they are still even there...

Does anyone out there have a 2002ish story of buying a stack of 52's on ebay with high numbers in them from an unknowingly idiotic seller? Well, that would be ME...

Pull into the drive way and say "hi how have you been, do you remember me".:) Seriously, I would but I also like talking to really old people. Tell him you are collecting low end vintage again and see what happens.

ALR-bishop
08-30-2016, 03:02 PM
I bet there are a few people who wish they had not traded or sold those Canadian gray backs years ago :).

irv
08-30-2016, 05:24 PM

So that's where my Father got his cards from! ;)

All kidding aside, I'd go visit the guy too. There is a possibility he is hoping you do exactly that but is waiting for you to break the ice.

Not trying to say anything, but at 90 yrs old, you may regret not doing it if you don't do it soon?

Best of Luck.