PDA

View Full Version : A new Advertising card? Here's a 1911 Obak, but what was it cut off of?

shammus
08-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Won this off Ebay last week. It's clearly handcut, but I was very intrigued by what was at the bottom of the card in the auction pictures. It clearly does not appear to be the beginning of a new player photo altogether as it's actually a lot wider.

Also, the card is on thicker paper stock than normal...it's very sturdy and reminds me a bit of the m116 Advertising handcut cards I've had in the past. The back seems to be colored differently altogether. Here's a backscan of the card (on the right) compared to a scan from a normal 1911 Obak.

You can see that the bottom of the card on the back also has a border that appears to extend much wider than the border that is above it.

Any thoughts?

08-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Cool card, Brian. I believe the bottom of the sheet had cards oriented sideways.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160821/d389b95a83b1b62c4055020029a683b4.jpg

Jantz
08-20-2016, 07:20 PM
I agree with Daryl. Part of a card on the bottom of the sheet.

Actually check out the bottom right corner and you can see the placement of the two cards.

I may be wrong, but I think Raymond is your man under Brashear.

Jantz
08-20-2016, 07:44 PM
A close up

shammus
08-20-2016, 07:53 PM
That was a quick mystery solved. Yeah, that's how it looks to me for sure. I guess the odd coloring on the back could be toning. Thanks all for the input!

steve B
08-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Could be toning.

Have you measured the thickness to get a good comparison to a regular card?
If it is decently thicker, it could be printed on a piece of cheaper cardstock used to protect the actual stock being used from the pallet it would be on. That sort of thing would also be a typical thing thrown out and rescued and handcut.

The cheaper stock would also look different under a good magnifier. Brown stock sometimes has visible bits of wood fiber.

Steve B

itjclarke
08-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Glad to have seen this thread. I picked up a few from this offering as well, including the Ryan which also had rough cut edges and was sold as hand cut. I love rough cuts on more modern cards, so really love having a rough cut T.

Some questions are answered (cool to see that uncut sheet!), but am curious when others may think these were cut and with what? Presume they were probably cut a long time ago... and could something like a paper cutter make that rough cut?