PDA

View Full Version : Deceptive eBay marketing tactic?

mechanicalman
08-20-2016, 08:01 AM
I recently signed up for eBay emails in order to get eBay Bucks offers (good thing), but about once a week I get an email showing cards that have been miraculously and steeply discounted (should also be a good thing.) Problem is, even with the absurd prices some dudes ask for, I actually think these high prices are fabricated. In fact, I never even remember looking at the cards eBay said I did, but I would have remembered them for their sheer absurdity. Here's an example of a 1949 Bowman Paige PSA 4. eBay wants me to believe I looked at this when it was $4k (which is significantly higher than what I paid for a PSA 7 last year.) I never did look at this, but I don't believe the seller would have ever priced a 4 this high only to discount it so steeply. Or are they, so that it triggers an email? Any thoughts on this? Seems pretty shady on eBay's part, in my opinion.

Bram99
08-20-2016, 08:39 AM
I see the same emails as you mention. Here's what I think is happening. I might look at a card like an Allie Reynolds 1949 Bowman in NM-MT PSA 8. Let's say it's $150. Then I get an email that I can save 80%, but when I click through, the card they are referring me to is not an 8 but rather a 2.5 or even ungraded. I don't know that it is deceptive - it's more annoying than anything. I think their algorithms can't account for the specificity of details in a listing and probably just search for 1949 Bowman Reynolds in the case, and show me something way different in condition / grade that what I was looking at.

bravos4evr
08-20-2016, 11:25 AM
I see the same emails as you mention. Here's what I think is happening. I might look at a card like an Allie Reynolds 1949 Bowman in NM-MT PSA 8. Let's say it's $150. Then I get an email that I can save 80%, but when I click through, the card they are referring me to is not an 8 but rather a 2.5 or even ungraded. I don't know that it is deceptive - it's more annoying than anything. I think their algorithms can't account for the specificity of details in a listing and probably just search for 1949 Bowman Reynolds in the case, and show me something way different in condition / grade that what I was looking at.

What he said, I looked at one of those cheap Green Cobbs the other day just to examine the picture and hone my skills at spotting fakes when I got an email an hr later saying I had looked at a $3500 Cobb that was now discounted by $600. I think the system has to cover too many different types of products to ever be super specific.

RealToppsaholic
08-20-2016, 11:49 AM
What he said, I looked at one of those cheap Green Cobbs the other day just to examine the picture and hone my skills at spotting fakes when I got an email an hr later saying I had looked at a $3500 Cobb that was now discounted by $600. I think the system has to cover too many different types of products to ever be super specific.

at least you were correct once today Nick

bravos4evr
08-20-2016, 11:55 AM
at least you were correct once today Nick

lol, reported for harassment. clean up your own house and stop stalking people to other threads who dare to question your "spotless" record...