PDA

View Full Version : Coming back,...prices!?

JasonL
08-20-2016, 06:04 AM
Hi All,
It has been a looong time since I visited regularly or posted, and I just wanted to ask the general group - what is going on with post-war prices?!?! In general, did something happen to the market while I have been away for a while? new big buyers? new fascination with super high grade?
As an example, I was floored when I looked at what high grade Walter Payton RCs are going for when compared to say, 3-5 years ago...easy double!
Is this in every sport?

wow!

ALR-bishop
08-20-2016, 09:25 AM
There are several threads focusing on changes in post war card prices, especially rookies, both on the main board, and the post war pre 1980 board. Some have been quite spirited.

swarmee
08-20-2016, 09:30 AM
There are multiple theories:
1) New hedge fund-type buyers looking for investment grade since savings rates are stagnant.
2) Market manipulators trying to game the system.
3) Shill bidding rampant.
4) Registry set collectors gone wild.
5) 10-30 new buyers that are controlling the market.
6) The fact that PWCC and Probstein are consignment sellers and can't easily vet their bidders to reduce shill bidding as well as they would like.
7) All of the above.

ALR-bishop
08-20-2016, 10:14 AM
Great summary John. If I had waited I could have saved a lot of time reading those threads :). Although some were pretty entertaining

Bcwcardz
08-20-2016, 06:57 PM
I've regretted a few sales since prices do seem to have gone up for these cards. Oh well, what goes up must come down.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk