PDA

View Full Version : Thorpe - Don't know if this is the right place

pencil1974
08-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Don't know if this is the right place as I never get football items and I'm probably not going to keep this for long (no its not a plug to sell, I just tend to lose interest in memorabilia that is not baseball related).

Any ideas if this is really rare or not? I did the usual google search and found the write up on Hake in 2007 saying there only two known then. But didn't know if more had been found since that was 9 years ago. Very cool and interesting piece for sure though. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

FourStrikes
08-18-2016, 04:23 PM
assuming it's real - and I definitely know nothing about this particular piece - if it IS, it's certainly A beautiful item, and my hope is it's authentic!

best of luck!

DS

pencil1974
08-18-2016, 04:25 PM
I'm assuming its real as well. Someone would have to go to a lot of trouble to make a fake version of that indian in the boat that would be a pain to do I would think.

pencil1974
08-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Actually just found this from 2016 on Hake's site.

Looks to be the same one I picked up as the photo looks the same. But this does answer my question I posed. Guess I should have looked harder as all I saw before was from 2007.

This button is the only one known to us picturing Native American athlete Jim Thorpe. We have seen three examples including this one in 49 years. At the top is 2.25" wide brass hanger picturing Native American in headdress paddling a canoe with initials on the side standing for lodge Improved Order Red Men. Loop holds 1.75" button with W&H paper. Text reads in full "Jim Thorpe-Former Carlisle Athlete/Carlisle, Pa.-June 13-14-15, 1933." On the bottom edge of the circular area containing the photo of him snapped just after kicking a ball there is a tiny 1/16" dot of extra gloss varnish as made. Extreme bottom edge of the button has three or four tiny pinpoints of tone but they hardly even qualify as actual spots. The button has full gloss and almost no surface wear. Our previous two sales, both going back ten years or more each exceeded $700. Paul Muchinsky Collection.

ooo-ribay
08-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Gorgeous!!!!