PDA

View Full Version : Ty Cobb Hassan Triplefolder 1912

Ribbens
08-17-2016, 05:54 AM
My brother and I have collected together for the past 50+ years. He came to Chicago to see the Cubs game last night and stayed at my house. He brought this Ty Cobb from the 1912 Hassan Triplefolders set - just the center portion. Had not seen that for many years. Will any grading company grade this card as a cut card ?

Leon
08-17-2016, 08:57 AM
I don't know if they will but they should. Just label it as what is is and be done with it. I think SGC and Beckett would listen (not saying they will or won't but would at least listen), if they don't already do it. Not sure about PSA....

bbcard1
08-17-2016, 09:03 AM
I am sure some would see it as heresy, but i like the individual sections of triple folders better than the card when it's all together.

Cozumeleno
08-17-2016, 11:02 AM
I've wondered about this myself and your question prompted me to search on eBay to see if there were others.

In about 230 current PSA, SGC, and BVG listings, I didn't see a single one that had only one panel. Can't say for sure but my guess is if they did grade them, I would have seen at least one.

Another similar example would be the 1980-81 Topps basketball, that were often separated into panels. I searched those as well and didn't see a graded one of an individual panel as well. My guess is that they consider it to be too much of the card missing and that they do not grade them.

dougscats
08-17-2016, 02:39 PM
This is a great set--I collect these center panels and have all but three--
And I don't think I've ever seen one graded.

This photo was shot by the famous Conlon,
and it was the most iconic image of Cobb in his day [I'd say still is].
This set has another Cobb [A Desperate Slide for Third]
and a purported Shoeless Joe Jackson [getting thrown out at third in Lord Catches His Man].

It also has great sports-writing text circa 1912 on the backs.

PS: I've just tried to put up the scans of these cards but failed, as my scan greatly exceeds the Net54 19.5 KB limits. I'm learning a new scanning program on a new computer, so I'll see if I can figure it out.